QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post A photo of yourself!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post A photo of yourself!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...    »  ]
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Id love to do something similar to that saddles.
However Id go more to the medieval times. No muskets.
I think there actually is an event where they do that.
Huge thing. Hundreds of people get together and stage battles.

So in thhese battles you staged. How did things go?
How many people were there?

05.22.2007, 02:48 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey nice pictures Saddles,

My wife says you look really handsome, and that you bare a striking resemblance to Ricky Gervais.

05.22.2007, 02:43 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
kk-on-keys
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kk-on-keys Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chihiros-Dream-Boy
you bare a striking resemblance to Ricky Gervais.

*does the dance*

05.22.2007, 02:54 PM kk-on-keys is offline   Profile for kk-on-keys Add kk-on-keys to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
In those pictures you kind of do actually...
Though not too much.

I am currently listening to the Ricky Gervais Show Podcast (a lot). Its definitely the funinest thing Ive ever heard. somehting everyone has to have heard int heir life. You can get it for 4 quid or so (first season, 12 half-an-hour episodes). Truly funny.
Im ony the second last one hes made, ie second last ep of 3rd season.
Gets funnier everytime.

*joins in the dance*

05.22.2007, 02:59 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not entirely convinced that the words "handsome" and "Ricky Gervais" should go together in the same sentence. Or even on the same page (unless the word "not" separates them).

In my case it's easier to drop the "Ricky Gervais" bit and just put the "not" in front.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.22.2007, 03:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR So in thhese battles you staged. How did things go?
How many people were there?

The Siege Group was tiny - about 100 people all told but as we did mostly scripted work and not fighting that wasn't a problem. I was also in the Sealed Knot which is the UKs biggest re-enactment group but it is less historically accurate. On a good weekend you could have up to 3000 or 4000 people on the battlefield - much more than were in some of the real battles.

In the Sealed Knot I was in a dragoon company which was great because we were always away on a flank skirmishing in the undergrowth and stuff, not standing around in solid formations. When the army approached the battlefield we'd be in the front protecting the infantry and would also be the last to leave as rearguard so we always saw lots of action. And we could do more or less as we pleased. I recall one day we weren't needed for a bit so we lit a fire, cooked some sausages and drank beer in one corner of a wood. Some enemy scouts sent in to find us came up and we offered them some beer and we all sat down together and had a good chat. Great days.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.22.2007, 03:45 PM.

05.22.2007, 03:44 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

cool stuff, hey i think you can answer a question that has been bugging me.

in the fighting, i know there are the bayonets and sword fighting, but what do you actually shoot at each other with in the rifles?

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

Post last edited by Miyrru on 05.22.2007, 03:46 PM.

05.22.2007, 03:46 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan what do you actually shoot at each other with in the rifles?

Real gunpowder bought by the powder master from a recognized armoury. But no bullets etc, obviously. Any projectile is too dangerous. These are real guns. Some musketeers just use loose black powder (gunpowder something like you get in fireworks only a fair bit more meaty) but most would then ram down a wad of paper on top of that to form a seal and create a little pressure, so when you fire you get a nice loud satisfying bang. The only difference to firing a real period musket is in reality a round lead bullet would go down on top of the powder and the paper wad on top of that.

I did go with some friends to a firing range a couple of times where we fired off lead shot. These guns though are totally inaccurate. That's why in this period men stood in long lines shooting because individually they couldn't hope to hit a barn door at fifty paces but line up 300 of them and you could expect to hit the enemy.

That bandolier of wooden bottles slung off one shoulder contains enough powder for 12 shots plus the bigger bottle is for the priming powder. I'd usually make up another 50 or so shots of powder wrapped in paper carried in my shoulder bag. You just had to make damn sure no sparks got near it!

In the more modern reenactment groups the society would make up actual blank cartridges.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.22.2007, 04:17 PM.

05.22.2007, 03:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

cool, thank you, thats been bugging me for several years. i was sure it wasnt anythign real, and then i though it maybe some form of paintball as to indentify a hit.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.22.2007, 04:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

That sounds really cool..
I would love to do something like that one day.
Or have a huge paintball battle..

05.22.2007, 04:09 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No, the battles are usually scripted to some degree, certainly in as much as who will win is decided beforehand. People tend to just fall down and play dead when the mood takes them and get dragged 'wounded' to the rear by other soldiers or medical staff to come back into the battle later. Near the end though a lot more people stay down so the place looks pretty messy.

Really its just a lot of fun - like a big grown up game of cowboys and indians

But the evenings are great - there might be a proper beer tent or if not then each unit will have a campfire and cook stuff and everyone brings a ton of beer and we all sat around singing or telling jokes or - very late in the night - ghost stories.

Once we fought a re-enactment of a hard fought battle called Marston Moor which was one of the biggest of the war and we were allowed to fight and camp overnight on the actual battlesite which is rare - they are often preserved sites.

But anyway in 1644 there was a last stand by a couple of Royalist regiments called Newcastle's Whitecoats. The battle was lost and these troops knew the war was pretty much lost too so they refused to surrender and retreated to a walled enclosure called White Syke Close. They were pretty much all slaughtered and the site is now a mass grave.

Well, we actually camped in White Syke Close and I can tell you hand on heart that I never believed in ghosts before that night but afterwards I changed my views. That place was just such a spooky piece of ground. It was thick with atmosphere and even though we had a big campfire going and people had their thick watchcoats on they were still saying it was cold. As the sun was going down there was a lot of birdsong in the surrounding fields but inside that enclosure absolutely nothing was singing. It was a very odd place.

05.22.2007, 04:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

YO!
does sound cool..
Id wanna do that one day.
Maybe more with swords or so...
Id like more physical action.

05.22.2007, 05:24 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
xx_vampiregirl_xx
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by xx_vampiregirl_xx Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
YO!
Nice pics...
both of ya.
Hadnt seen you in a while round here vampiregirl.

Thanks.

Yeah, I haven't been around for a while.

My name is Kat
>^_^<

DeviantART

05.23.2007, 12:57 AM xx_vampiregirl_xx is offline   Profile for xx_vampiregirl_xx Add xx_vampiregirl_xx to your buddy list AIM Screenname: xVampirekatxx YIM Screenname: xx_vampiregirl_xx
Fire-Dancer
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.24.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Fire-Dancer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well um this is me with my doll make up on

--The Wind Princess--

05.24.2007, 05:46 PM Fire-Dancer is offline   Profile for Fire-Dancer Add Fire-Dancer to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!
v nice picture

05.24.2007, 05:48 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Lilgreenpea
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lilgreenpea Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey there, im loving the pale look and your eyes are so pretty!!

ooO Sig by me, The little green pea Ooo

05.24.2007, 05:50 PM Lilgreenpea is offline   Profile for Lilgreenpea Add Lilgreenpea to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!
the eyes remind me of someone..
*hint hint*
hehe

05.24.2007, 05:52 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Gah! *gagging annoyed noises*

Sort yerself out JRR!

Got some nasty lines under your eyes F-D for a 15-year old!

I reckon you need some early nights!

05.24.2007, 09:19 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

Sort yerself out JRR!

I seriously have no idea what the point of that was.
I mean, im not joking.. im totally clueless to what you were referring to.

05.25.2007, 03:20 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Lilgreenpea
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lilgreenpea Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

Sort yerself out JRR!

Got some nasty lines under your eyes F-D for a 15-year old!

I reckon you need some early nights!

A tad mean dont you think saddles... i don't see no lines under her eyes.. I dont think it was you he was refereing to

ooO Sig by me, The little green pea Ooo

05.25.2007, 06:28 AM Lilgreenpea is offline   Profile for Lilgreenpea Add Lilgreenpea to your buddy list
[  «    ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks