QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Where has everyone gone?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Where has everyone gone? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by totorogirl
Well, I'm new here but my husband has been into an accident and that's the only reason why I haven't been on (plus I do work and have 2 kids). He'll be there for another week so I will try to visit this forum just to get my mind off stresses.

i remember u from ages ago!

lol cant remember from when but the names familiar

welcome back

and sorry to hear about your husband, what happened (if im allowd to ask?)

cheers

01.11.2007, 08:01 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by I-B4-E THUG
quote:
Well, I'm new here but my husband has been into an accident and that's the only reason why I haven't been on (plus I do work and have 2 kids). He'll be there for another week so I will try to visit this forum just to get my mind off stresses.

i remember u from ages ago!

lol cant remember from when but the names familiar

welcome back

and sorry to hear about your husband, what happened (if im allowd to ask?)

cheers

Yeah, I hope everything is getting better. Sorry to hear that happened.

01.11.2007, 05:14 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji
By the way, what is a GCSE?

GCSEs are the exams we take over here in England, Wales and Northern Ireland when we're 15-16. They're very important, seeing as when we apply to universities and an entrance tutor has hundreds of entrance forms on their desks, the number of A* to C grades (A* being the highest grade, right down to a G at the lowest) can really make the difference between a place and no place. I'm aiming for completely A*s

I'm really sorry to hear that Totorogirl; I hope that you can relax here and take your mind off things for a while

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

Post last edited by Phyrra on 01.12.2007, 03:36 PM.

01.12.2007, 03:31 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I see. So it's like our SAT and ACT. What do your's test cover? Our SAT covers math, reading comprehension, and timed writing. The ACT covers english, math, reading comprehension, and science.

Post last edited by Seiji on 01.12.2007, 03:55 PM.

01.12.2007, 03:46 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's a bit like the American SAT test, but there's a GCSE exam for every subject you can imagine. Some people in my year want to go to American universities and are preparing for their SAT. I took 2 GCSE exams last year, and will be taking another 9 GCSEs this year. Each GCSE is a seperate exam on a seperate subject.

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

01.13.2007, 05:10 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just moved into a new flat, so had to wait for a new internet connection.

Plus I work full time and write for much of the rest of it.

...And this isn't my main forum for posting, anyway.

Hi, totorogirl. I hope your husband gets better soon.

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

01.13.2007, 05:43 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra
quote:

GCSEs are the exams we take over here in England, Wales and Northern Ireland when we're 15-16. They're very important, seeing as when we apply to universities and an entrance tutor has hundreds of entrance forms on their desks, the number of A* to C grades (A* being the highest grade, right down to a G at the lowest) can really make the difference between a place and no place. I'm aiming for completely A*s

I'm really sorry to hear that Totorogirl; I hope that you can relax here and take your mind off things for a while

I thought it was something different in Northern Ireland? Actually, I might just be thinking of the chool system in general.

01.13.2007, 06:49 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Howmany
Ohmu

Registration Date: 09.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Howmany Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra
quote:

GCSEs are the exams we take over here in England, Wales and Northern Ireland when we're 15-16. They're very important, seeing as when we apply to universities and an entrance tutor has hundreds of entrance forms on their desks, the number of A* to C grades (A* being the highest grade, right down to a G at the lowest) can really make the difference between a place and no place.

your A level grades determine your ucas points and your universtity enrty though G.C.S.E. dont really count for anything I have discoverd

01.13.2007, 09:45 AM Howmany is offline   Profile for Howmany Add Howmany to your buddy list Send an Email to Howmany Homepage of Howmany AIM Screenname: Howmany YIM Screenname: Howmany
Seiji
Totoro

High school grades, (or A level for you guys) hold a little bit more weight here too. Though standardized tests are still important for getting into school.

oh, so do you have to take different subjects of tests based on where you want to go?

Oh well, I guess we should all have to be thankful that we at least don't have to take entrance exams...or do you?

01.13.2007, 06:15 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Howmany
your A level grades determine your ucas points and your universtity enrty though G.C.S.E. dont really count for anything I have discoverd

Perhaps... although whe admission tutors at Oxbridge get hundreds of applications on their desk and have to choose a tiny number of the best, having completely A*s in addition to good A level/ IB results has to be better than a bunch of As and Bs. So many people want these university places that GCSEs haven't been more relevant? With hundreds of applications for a couple of places, the number of top GCSEs is most definately an indicator of where the places should go.

I took entrance exams to get into my school, Seiji. During the sixth form I'll take the "IB diploma" exam and hopefully get to study at Oxbridge! *crosses fingers*

Post last edited by Phyrra on 01.14.2007, 02:50 PM.

01.14.2007, 05:22 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

GCSEs are pretty much just to test if you can handle A-Levels. But it does make sense that they would look at GCSE results when there are too many people with the necessary A-Levels.

Post last edited by arren18 on 01.14.2007, 09:55 AM.

01.14.2007, 09:55 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

wow, canadain universitiy systems are right different.

we just write our subject exams, at the end of each semester, and we can send our 6 highest marks to the university, certian programs have pre-requistes so certian subject marks have to be sent, but thats it. i can get into the best university in my province and im a B to A level student.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.14.2007, 03:40 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Cherry
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cherry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i know its kinda out of the subject but plz i need a sig!
> <

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

01.14.2007, 03:45 PM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Phyrra, what kind of school are you in now? High School(or equivalent) or University?

Post last edited by Seiji on 01.14.2007, 04:56 PM.

01.14.2007, 04:56 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Howmany
Ohmu

Registration Date: 09.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Howmany Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Perhaps... although whe admission tutors at Oxbridge get hundreds of applications on their desk and have to choose a tiny number of the best, having completely A*s in addition to good A level/ IB results has to be better than a bunch of As and Bs. So many people want these university places that GCSEs haven't been more relevant? With hundreds of applications for a couple of places, the number of top GCSEs is most definately an indicator of where the places should go.

I took entrance exams to get into my school, Seiji. During the sixth form I'll take the "IB diploma" exam and hopefully get to study at Oxbridge! *crosses fingers*

yeah sure if your got all A*'s then your gcse's will come into play but for oxbridge or for that matter trinty or balilol there more concerned by your class and your money a degree there now costs £3000 a year most universitys will only look at your A-Level grades and your extra cirrcular activitys. And if you pass your grauduate degree then your g.c.s.e.'s are totally irrelevant. let alone if you take a post grad course (masters,phd)
your gonna take the IB a french qualification ! I hope you come from a upper middle class backround and that you do alot of extra cirrcular activitys the oxford + cmabridge collages are still very class orinitated.
In my opinion there both over priced and over rated KCL,LSE,ICL are just as good and have just as good reps as oxford and cambridge plus they offer a better campus life than either oxford or cambridge can.

01.15.2007, 10:41 AM Howmany is offline   Profile for Howmany Add Howmany to your buddy list Send an Email to Howmany Homepage of Howmany AIM Screenname: Howmany YIM Screenname: Howmany
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Phyrra, what kind of school are you in now? High School(or equivalent) or University?

Sounds like high school... Yeah, high school. And he's planning for university.

01.15.2007, 01:49 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Sorry to hear that, hope he has a speedy recovery,
My father has to have a heart operation this week so im getting a bit worried bout him, he and his brother have a heart condition called Sudden death syndrome , where you are born with a this particular heart problem that is very hard to diagnose and even if your very healthy and watch what you eat you can still have a massive out of the blue heart attack, i have to be checked out for it aswell.

01.15.2007, 05:29 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Phyrra
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:

Sounds like high school... Yeah, high school. And he's planning for university.

At my school, my year is called 'Upper Fifth'... it's the year before sixth form. I'm 15, so I'm in whatever your system calls the 15-16 age group. Does that help??

Howmany, I thought that the International Baccalaureate is an international exam, not just French!? People from all over the world take the exam, many of them having to write in English as a second language. My school only offers the IB, and doesn't teach the A level at all... our school has an average of 39.8 points out of 45 for the IB, which is a fantastic average. That doesn't mean I'm not going to have to work like crazy in the sixth form though!!

Yep, arren18, I'm planning for university and am probably in a high school equivalent. I think? It's a tad confusing, all these school systems...

EDIT: I'm sorry, Toolfan... I just read your post. Best wishes for your father's opperation. I really hope that you don't have sudden death sydrome too.

Post last edited by Phyrra on 01.15.2007, 05:35 PM.

01.15.2007, 05:31 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

hmm. We didn't have IB exams at my school but we did have AP (advanced placement) which is similar I think. Some schools in the area had IB though, and they were in English to be sure.

Is the IB for getting you college credit, because that is what AP exams do? You get a whole number grade between 1 and 5 (5 being the best), and certain schools will give you credit for certain scores (though no schools that I know of give credit for 2's or 1s) But for example, I got a 5 on my AP Literature exam, and for that, I recieved a full year of university English credit

01.15.2007, 08:13 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We have AP exams over here too. what they do is, if you enrol int eh AP course, like Ap chemistry(liek me). you move at a quicker pace nad they teach you all of first year university chemistry. At the end of the semester you have the option of writing an AP exam which costs 100$, but if you get a certian %age than you are exempt from first year university chemistry, so 100$ to skip about a 600-800$ universtiy course is pretty good.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.15.2007, 08:25 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks