QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Do you swear?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Do you swear? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There is this stand up comic (I won't say who he's VERY rude) but he did a sketch - as though relating a joke where he was talking to a vicar. His lines were delivered dead pan, even calm and friendly while the vicar said eff-this and eff-that all the time. So, role reversal. It was, I'm ashamed to admit, so funny it hurt.

10.07.2007, 07:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lee Evans is a good comedian who swears a lot.

10.07.2007, 07:36 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
kk-on-keys
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kk-on-keys Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Do I swear? F*** no.

Seriously though, I try not to swear at all. It's not really necessary. I prefer to make up my own words.

"You SHIZMONKEY!"

10.07.2007, 07:38 AM kk-on-keys is offline   Profile for kk-on-keys Add kk-on-keys to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I do actually make up my own swearwords sometimes.
Or I use every day words and convert them to swearwords, or rather, light insults.
A good example is my friend who too a particular liking to the insult "lemon", which was eventually substitued by "cheesburger".

My favourite made up word is not a swearword however. It is the word "woozle", which is a verb that describes being lazy and doing nothing significant. Not really doing "nothing."
It would be used in context as..
"So what did yuo do on sunday?"
"Oh, nothing really, I was just woozling about."

Strangely enough 90% of the people I mention it to, get the meaning, or at least, dont question the word.

10.07.2007, 08:52 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

when i call people geraldeens left leg they know there in trouble

10.07.2007, 07:35 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Strangely enough 90% of the people I mention it to, get the meaning, or at least, dont question the word.

Well i wouldnt question someone who came up to me saying "Lemon cheeseburger woozle!" either..

10.07.2007, 08:24 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
There is this stand up comic (I won't say who he's VERY rude) but he did a sketch - as though relating a joke where he was talking to a vicar. His lines were delivered dead pan, even calm and friendly while the vicar said eff-this and eff-that all the time. So, role reversal. It was, I'm ashamed to admit, so funny it hurt.

Theres this great australian show that did a sketch making fun of the type of comedians who are only funny because they swear..

i would post the link but i might get in trouble...

10.07.2007, 09:03 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

did that show happen to be THE CHASERS WAR ON EVERYTHING one of the best show's on australian

10.07.2007, 11:18 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

T.V

10.07.2007, 11:19 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
did that show happen to be THE CHASERS WAR ON EVERYTHING one of the best show's on australian

haha. yes, of course.
one of the only two things i actually 'watch' on tv.

10.07.2007, 11:50 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I swear like a trooper, but only when by myself or people who I know won't get offended. I'd never swear around my children for instance unless the circumstances REALLY demanded it. I never swear in public either unless it was a place where I know minors won't be, like a pub - I hate it when I hear young kids swearing at the top of their voices with no care about who can hear.

But on my own or with my wife or friends swearing is fair game, often the filthier the better. It's a fun game to try and think up the most disgustingly filthy word you can and drop it in conversation as if it were mundane. Or if playing a computer game and losing... how can that not demand a swear word?

You puritanical people who are, "Oh, I don't need to swear to make me feel human etc. yadda bleh" are missing the point... swearing makes jokes and certain situations 23% funnier, FACT!

10.08.2007, 06:10 PM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Meh, different things are funny for different people, I suppose.

10.08.2007, 06:14 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ramah
I swear like a trooper, but only when by myself or people who I know won't get offended. I'd never swear around my children for instance unless the circumstances REALLY demanded it. I never swear in public either unless it was a place where I know minors won't be, like a pub - I hate it when I hear young kids swearing at the top of their voices with no care about who can hear.

But on my own or with my wife or friends swearing is fair game, often the filthier the better. It's a fun game to try and think up the most disgustingly filthy word you can and drop it in conversation as if it were mundane. Or if playing a computer game and losing... how can that not demand a swear word?

You puritanical people who are, "Oh, I don't need to swear to make me feel human etc. yadda bleh" are missing the point... swearing makes jokes and certain situations 23% funnier, FACT!

Well, I'd take exception to most of that:

1) How do you know people who hear you swear won't be offended. Did you ask them first?
2) Last 100 pubs I went in all had minors in... and I bet a good few of them were subjected to obscenities from people like you.
3) You hate it when you hear young kids swearing? I hate it when I hear grown adults do it - when they should know better.
4) Yep, on your own, etc no worries. We agree. ANd yes, PC game losing can be frustrating.
5) Now you're judging me, calling me puritanical. Don't do that please its very rude. I don't swear because I choose not to, in the same way you choose to. I'm not judging you, I'm just saying that I don't do it because I feel I have the intelligence to use exactly the right words for a given situation. Sure I find swearing funny in some circumstances such as jokes or comedian's acts but if I were in a shop or a pub or a restaurant and you started doing it, I'd politely ask you to stop, especially since you hadn't checked first to see if I would be offended or not - you simply assumed I wouldn't be and that judgmentalism is worse than the actual swearing.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.08.2007, 06:32 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think he was referring to you when he said puritanical, but anyways, that whole sentence assumes that everyone thinks swearing has comedic value, which as you can see by this thread, isn't really true.

I've always found the whole "swear-dropping" thing in comedy to be a bit lame - come up with some real material, jeez. I mean some people apparently consider Seinfeld to be the greatest comedy show and there was no swearing in it at all.

10.08.2007, 06:46 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Classic clean comedy: Morecambe and Wise (British, 1960s) and The Two Ronnies (British, 1970s). Not a single rude word in 100s of episodes.

10.08.2007, 06:51 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Farren
Baron

the british are the funniest fellas on earth

and monty python saddle

10.08.2007, 06:57 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yep, but Python succumbed to swearing towards the end when they ran out of ideas.

10.08.2007, 07:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Farren
Baron

ohh that sucks

the holy grail was awesome though

10.08.2007, 07:03 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Indeed, but the Grail was just at the point they began using bad langauge, and Life of Brian had plenty in it. Before "Grail" they wrote pure comedy that relied on proper brain functions for its humour. Not just all muckiness.

10.08.2007, 07:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Farren
Baron

in somthing completly different

my fathers favourite is the parrot scetch that is funny

10.08.2007, 07:17 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks