QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - August 12 . . .
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » August 12 . . . » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  August 12 . . .Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

. . . is the day I leave for Vietnam. I'll be teaching English there until sometime mid-December. Should be interesting.

EDIT: Oh yeah, sort of forgot the point of making this thread, which is that I may and/or may not be able to be online much during that time. I know there are a lot of internet cafes in Saigon, but I'll probably be on a tight budget and will only use the internet when necessary. I really don't post a whole lot as it is, but . . . well, I'm gonna miss you guys!

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 06.09.2009, 11:56 AM.

06.09.2009, 11:53 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is still awhile yet, but I know that the closer you get to your departure date, the busier you will be. In the meantime, keep us posted and enjoy your stay...

What part of Vietnam will you be in or do you know yet? wait, hold that thought.....

hmmmmmmm! (reading previous post)

Oh yeah, Saigon...lol or do they call it Ho Chi Minh City now??? Closest I got to Saigon was Vung Tau and a bit up the Co Chien and the Ham Luong Rivers... Of course, things have changed a bit since I was there, lol...

06.09.2009, 01:59 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, Vietnam? I'm sure that will be interesting. Well, I wish you the best of luck there. ^^ As you said yourself, you aren't the most active member here, but at least you've stuck around - that's more than most can say, and we appreciate your input when you do find the time to post.

My Anime List

06.09.2009, 03:12 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good luck!
My old English teacher taught in Vietnam as part of his national service during the war, he had a ball.

06.09.2009, 05:26 PM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh neat! That sounds great. I hope you have a fun and safe trip. Do drop us a line or two if you get a chance. ^_^

06.09.2009, 07:00 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Oh yeah, Saigon...lol or do they call it Ho Chi Minh City now???

It's officially Ho Chi Minh City, but everyone still calls it Saigon, apparently. I'd love to hear any stories you might have.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
As you said yourself, you aren't the most active member here, but at least you've stuck around - that's more than most can say, and we appreciate your input when you do find the time to post.

Thanks. It's kind of weird . . . I'm online quite a bit, I just don't post very often. I read a lot of the threads here, so I feel like I know a lot of people pretty well, but I don't post much myself. I hope that isn't creepy.

Thanks for everyone's support!

06.09.2009, 07:08 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
I'm online quite a bit, I just don't post very often. I read a lot of the threads here, so I feel like I know a lot of people pretty well, but I don't post much myself. I hope that isn't creepy.

Don't worry. I'm like that myself on a few forums.

Anyway, I will also wish you luck! I've never been anywhere near Vietnam, but I'm sure you'll have a good time!

06.09.2009, 07:10 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah good luck sounds like a blast,
will you be going to that place with the hundreds of small islands? and the random isolated bar.
the people that live their spend their entire lives on the rivers.... saw on topgear..

have a good one.

06.10.2009, 03:39 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

About the only Vietnam stories that I could tell are war stories... some interesting I suppose, but the actions that I was involved in ended in trying to kill or killing Viet Cong or North Vietnamese...

Like walking around the deck of my ship with a rifle and throwing grenades into the water to try and stop any swimmers from trying to board the ship...

hahaha, the very first grenade that I threw over wasn't far enough from the ship and I caused some leakage. I just found out at the reunion that I did more than just loosen the outboard discharge plumbing, I actually put a small crack in the hull and we were leaking badly. I didn't know THIS at the time...

All these years when telling the story, I was joking about almost sinking my own ship and it turns out to be a true!!!

06.10.2009, 04:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
Thanks. It's kind of weird . . . I'm online quite a bit, I just don't post very often. I read a lot of the threads here, so I feel like I know a lot of people pretty well, but I don't post much myself. I hope that isn't creepy.

That is really creepy. Get away from me.

06.14.2009, 10:02 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
reecetard
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by reecetard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Vietnam sounds beautiful, from what ive studied in school.
I think you'll love it out there, plus the appreciation you will get from teaching kids vital skills.

Hope i get to know you more before you go !!

x

~ No matter how many weapons you may have ~
~ No matter how great your technology may be ~
~ The world cannot live without love ~

06.14.2009, 06:16 PM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks