QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Writing music (again)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Writing music (again) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Writing music (again)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've temporarily given up on making stuff with Audacity and have returned to writing music with MIDI. The sound quality is terrible but it gives me a lot more freedom to write what I want. Sampling is fun but very limited.

Here's something I wrote today: http://midishrine.com/midi/37514.mid

I'm proud of it because there is not a single bar of 4/4 in the whole thing. I'm trying to challenge myself as a composer, so it kind of switches back and forth between 5/8, 6/8, and 7/16.

09.15.2010, 08:14 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm... I'm not able to play it. I just get a bunch of errors about missing sound fonts or something.

But as a former band geek, I have to chime in and say 4/4 is really nice to play, compared to 7/16... ^^

09.15.2010, 11:45 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmmm, that's odd. As far as I can tell it's just a regular MIDI file.

I was in band too, and while I agree 4/4 is nice to play, how far back in time do you think you'd have to go to find a Top 40 song in anything but 4/4? Pop music is oversaturated with it. I can't stand it anymore.

09.16.2010, 01:46 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll need to check this out at some point. I remember I liked what you did with MIDI before. How do you actually do it though?

09.16.2010, 05:25 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just use a notator. Write down the notes and play it back.

09.16.2010, 09:07 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wasn't ever in any school long enough to even join a band except once in elementary school, but they didn't have one...

I listened to the midi and it reminds me of a public service station show from San Diego State University that I sometimes listen to when I am in that area. It has a jazz (?) ensemble of about eight or so players that is kinda off-the-wall, so to speak. The music seems somewhat discordant in some ways that I can't explain, not that I am saying your music is. It is just the way the different parts seem to come together. All I can remember is that it has something to do with 'lilith'. I will be down there again tomorrow and will try get more info...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.16.2010, 09:33 AM.

09.16.2010, 09:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I would take "discordant" entirely as a compliment.

09.16.2010, 02:08 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, for yourself or for them?

HL:
got some Nausicaa comics in the mail today and a dvd or two...

09.16.2010, 05:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks