QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  643  644  645  646  647  648  649  650  651  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This may sound a bit jumbled but was truly a great day...

HHHL:
My oldest son came by with his family Sun morning from abt 11am-2pm... He and his wife AH and two of his children ET and H and mommy is due in Nov with another, L... I had a GREAT visit with them... Both of my sons live about 140 miles away...

Then Sunday afternoon from about 4pm-8+pm I was at the home of 4 of my other grandkids. Their mom is married to a guy and the oldest girl turned 13. About 20 ppl were there!.. ok, mommy M had AS prior to meeting my young son and they had S... Then split up Her new bf (who she married) had two more kids AR and MI... My son married a gal AL who had a dau E. they married and had two more kids, H and F... They were all there together. Then there were other young (to me anyway) adults with their kids whom I also knew from when they were babies... and also the father (John) of the mother of these last set of kids. (All confusing, right?) lol

He turned out to live here in town and is interested in the our history, so I being a historian, told him some things which whetted his appetite for more. So we are meeting Thurs where I can share some of this history with him...

AND it turns out that his daughter and her mother (divorced) have access to a stack of photos (abt 1910) and family papers of an older friend of theirs who passed away and left with them and they are going to give them to me to archive in our local history museum!!!

Between talking to John and enjoying the party and the company of all of the other adults and especially the 7 grandkids and two other kids who call me 'Grandpa' thet were there.

And when it came time for my young son and family to drive all the way home, his former gf and hubby made the stay until morning... I am so blessed that all these different ppl get along so well and are all friends.

Needless to say, I had a wonderful time...

10.11.2017, 04:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Think I got the gist of that. In any case, I'm glad you were able to have such a great time with family and friends. Especially nice meeting someone with the same interest in local history that you have!

HL: had a nice, chill day. Played some games, watched some TV, studies some Japanese. I think I'll read for the rest of the evening.

LL: I'm putting on weight. ¬__¬ Need to eat less, and better.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 10.11.2017, 04:32 PM.

10.11.2017, 04:32 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I'm putting on weight.
You need to watch out for that and take steps against it while you are young and your body is best able to combat it. I didn't and the extra weight I have in middle age is incredibly hard and frustrating to control.

Also heart problems. I had a minor heart attack 5 years ago and it was a scary wake up call.

Get out and do physical things - cycling, walking, running, swimming. Whatever you can. You will really value that effort later, I promise.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.11.2017, 07:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lowlight: boring day at work. I feel tired out from it after doing so little!

Highlight: I got more time to study at least. And for once, I got to a section in the grammar chapter where I already knew almost all of it! Usually I only know one or two things, so this is encouraging.

10.12.2017, 09:42 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
I'm putting on weight.
You need to watch out for that and take steps against it while you are young and your body is best able to combat it. I didn't and the extra weight I have in middle age is incredibly hard and frustrating to control.

Also heart problems. I had a minor heart attack 5 years ago and it was a scary wake up call.

Get out and do physical things - cycling, walking, running, swimming. Whatever you can. You will really value that effort later, I promise.

I agree 150% (yeah, yeah, I know, but I'm making a point) Lose it NOW when you can more easily. It is EXTREMELY difficult to lose when you get older... I know, unfortunately... I'm having trouble just trying to lose 5-10 lbs just so I can do a tandem parachute jump... I have to balance my diet with keeping my blood thinners in control; my diabetes blood sugar in control and still maintain my health.

10.12.2017, 11:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the advice, guys, I'll keep a handle on it. I'm not an unhealthy weight or anything just now, but I reckon I could do with losing half a stone maybe. Less snacking, less sitting on my butt all day.

WL: we have a new flatmate, just showed up today and moved into the empty room. Young guy from Nigeria. Seems pretty shy but I can totally understand that, moving into a place with three people who are already good friends must be kind of intimidating, plus he's just a first year and a long way from home. Hopefully we'll be friends, or that he'll make other friends at uni at least. Don't want him being lonely in there.

HL: so our oven door got jammed shut at the weekend and we had a cake in there, couldn't get it out until this afternoon. Turns out it was cooked pretty perfectly, didn't get too dry, we put some raspberry jam in the middle, made some tea-flavoured icing and put that on top, and damn is it good. Two thirds gone already :')

My Anime List

10.16.2017, 07:01 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Master Chef by accident.... lol

Works for me...

10.17.2017, 01:02 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lowlight (yesterday but it wasn't over until today so it still counts): a typhoon extended my hour-long train ride to almost eight hours.

And Abe won big in the election, unsurprisingly but very disappointingly.

10.22.2017, 09:51 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Hope it wasn't too bad, arren...

HHL:
I found some local theaters that show Ghibli and other anime's...

I'm planning on seeing Spirited Away (subtitles) on OCT 30.
Possibly a Pikachu on Nov 5...

Howl's Moving Castle on Nov 27...

Mary and the Witch's Flower on Jan 18...

I don't know how many I may have missed in the past, but I will surely be keeping an eye on the future listings...

10.25.2017, 05:51 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HHL:
My neighbor called me in a panic-y voice this morning at abt 11am saying her sister was gone...
I rushed over to their house and after talking with T I went into the bedroom to check on J... She was still and I touched her bare hip and it was cool to the touch, I then tried to get a pulse at the wrist, but rigor had already started to set in. I went out and verified to T that J was gone and she broke down. I verified to the 911 operator what I had found and she sent the fire dept and the police. about an hour after they left, the mortuary van arrived and because of the lack of room in the roof, they had to hand-carry J out to the gurney while I held it steady...

Another friend and I spent a couple more hours just sitting and talking with T and I got her something to eat and watched while she actually ate what I had brought.

I'm going to the mortuary tomorrow with her while she deals with the mortician and sees to the final arrangements.

10.31.2017, 02:29 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh Husky, I'm so sorry. My condolences to you and everyone who knew the lady, and bless you for doing so much to help.

My Anime List

10.31.2017, 09:16 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Thank you, Kaz... She is a military Veteran and she joined up with me and two other local Vets and we made the rounds of various restaurants who were offering free meals to Vets and Active-Duty military personnel. She was smiling and laughing as we shared military childhood (etc) experiences these last two days. I was happy for her. Still a lot for her to go through, but at least a break in her new solo routine...

HHL:
I have a new Grandson! born 11-11-2017, 8lbs 6oz and 20 inches... Best Veterans Day gift of all... (lucky Mommy, his Daddy was 10lbs 6oz when he was born!!! )

That makes Twenty Grandkids now... Time to stop? lol

11.12.2017, 12:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Highlight: I'd sent a cover letter for a job application to my old teacher to take a look at it, and she finally got back to me with suggestions! She actually advised me to change quite a bit, which is kind of unfortunate since I don't think I have time to get it checked again after making changes.

Anyway I'll try and fix it up and hopefully have it all done tonight! I've been wanting to find a new job for ages so I want to finally get the ball rolling.

11.13.2017, 12:59 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LL: Didn't get a job I applied for. The thing is it's not even that I particularly REALLY wanted the job itself, I'm just very unhappy where I currently am so was excited at the prospect of change.

HL: Going to be hand-delivering my JET application early next week (wish me luck!)

11.16.2017, 04:10 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Good luck!! What did you pick as your requested places in the end?

11.16.2017, 08:53 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Good to see you, NC, and very good luck your way... Both you and arren

11.17.2017, 12:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

My friend Bob and I went to a local gun show today and I did a LOT of walking and spent about $100, bought some ammunition, first aid kits, other items including a sleeper for my new Grandson...

11.20.2017, 12:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LLLLL: that net neutrality **** is happening again. although it does not affect me, but it will as all the services are interconnected. and what USA does basically eveyone else follows especially in the case of technology

any US people here please please call your representitive for the sake of humanity's biggest invention

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

11.26.2017, 11:33 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Not totally familiar with 'net neutrality', but I will look into it, saviour...

Good to hear from you...

11.26.2017, 12:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yesterday's HL: had a lovely day at the Christmas market in Manchester with some friends The weather was miserable, but that just made the mulled wine and bratwurst taste even better!

My Anime List

11.26.2017, 07:36 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  643  644  645  646  647  648  649  650  651  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks