QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - From Up on Poppy Hill
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions From Up on Poppy Hill Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  From Up on Poppy HillPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So, Goro Miyazaki's second film has been released in Japan. I only heard a tiny bit about it some time ago, so I was surprised to hear that it had been released already. Does anybody know anything more about it?

07.29.2011, 02:08 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
mubay
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.06.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mubay Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I knew this movie was being released on summer 2011 from what I read here: http://www.kokurikozaka-kddi.jp/trailer.html

quote:
この夏 、スタジオジブリは“親子二世代にわたる青春”を描き ます。

I'm truly looking forward to see what they did with the Amazing scenarios we sport on the trailer! *-*

楽しみ!

Post last edited by mubay on 07.29.2011, 02:53 PM.

07.29.2011, 02:52 PM mubay is offline   Profile for mubay Add mubay to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've heard that it's behind the new Pokemon movie in box office sales. I can't believe that. Pokemon was a big part of my childhood, but give me a break. Why won't it die already?

It doesn't really matter, though. Poppy Hill will probably sell more in the long run anyway. And besides, who really cares of sales figures?

Oh, and here's some more pictures of it of stuff not shown in the trailer. Check them out:

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/07/ph...poppy-hill.html

Post last edited by on 07.29.2011, 03:38 PM.

07.29.2011, 03:36 PM  
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds intresting.

07.29.2011, 04:25 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow it's already released! Why do we get ours released way after anyway?

I saw the trailer on youtube a while a go, i kept playing it over and over because the song with it is so beautiful.

07.29.2011, 11:13 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Looks interesting from the trailer and the other pictures. Somebody said somewhere that it was similar to Takahata's style, which is certainly the impression it gave me. And zacharykrodel's link had another link to a review that sounded extremely positive. So I'm looking forward to seeing this.

And Calforsale, there are various reasons. Sorting out subtitles, and usually a dub, must take quite some time. Also, Ghibli don't distribute the films overseas themselves, so deals have to be made with foreign distributors, which differ between the countries the film is being released in. I think this is probably the most time-consuming aspect, because even once a - for example - English language version has been prepared, distribution deals then need to be organised for each English-speaking country that will show the film. I don't know an awful lot about the little details myself, and there are probably even more things to take into account, but even from what I do know, you can see that it's a lengthy process.

Post last edited by arren18 on 07.30.2011, 03:36 PM.

07.30.2011, 03:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Looks interesting from the trailer and the other pictures. Somebody said somewhere that it was similar to Takahata's style, which is certainly the impression it gave me. And zacharykrodel's link had another link to a review that sounded extremely positive. So I'm looking forward to seeing this.

And Calforsale, there are various reasons. Sorting out subtitles, and usually a dub, must take quite some time. Also, Ghibli don't distribute the films overseas themselves, so deals have to be made with foreign distributors, which differ between the countries the film is being released in. I think this is probably the most time-consuming aspect, because even once a - for example - English language version has been prepared, distribution deals then need to be organised for each English-speaking country that will show the film. I don't know an awful lot about the little details myself, and there are probably even more things to take into account, but even from what I do know, you can see that it's a lengthy process.

But once they are dubbed in English etc they become some of the best films on the market, if not the best.

07.30.2011, 03:45 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Flatwheels
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.31.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Flatwheels Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey everyone,

Newbie here and thought why not sign up Been a Ghibli-fan for quite a while now and really like the productions a lot.

I just came back from the cinemas where I saw the new Ghibli - コクリコ坂から , Kokuriko-zaka kara- Really Enjoyed it a lot, the music, the eye for detail, the colors, characters, overall story...just another great Ghibli movie that everybody will, fan or no fan.

07.31.2011, 11:44 PM Flatwheels is offline   Profile for Flatwheels Add Flatwheels to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, Flatwheels. We all hope that you are around for a long, long while... The best way to be known is to post, post and post some more, lol

Again, Welcome...

08.01.2011, 12:03 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Flatwheels
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.31.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Flatwheels Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks Husky51

Will do my best and try to stay around for a while. Used to be a forumfreak, spending 24/7 at movie and dvd forums but somehow gave up on it. Let`s see if I can find a new warm forum-family

08.01.2011, 07:03 PM Flatwheels is offline   Profile for Flatwheels Add Flatwheels to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been here for over three years now and have found the members to be a generally obnoxious, rowdy bunch of delinquints from the Mods on down to, uh, to.....

OOPS, wrong group of delinqu..., uh, I mean, uh, that is, I mean they are a fun-loving, cheerful and wonderful group of young people (mostly) (young, that is)who have made me feel very welcome over the years...uh, yeah, what I said... hmmm, sigh.

08.01.2011, 08:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow it's already out?? How did I not know this? The reviews seem good. Reminds me of Only Yesterday/Whisper of the heart. Can't wait to see it!

08.02.2011, 12:11 AM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thanks for the info, I didn't know it was out already. Definitly looking forward to it

08.02.2011, 07:43 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw it last weekend and intend to see it again today. I've got some problems with it, but it's definitely a worthwhile movie to see. None of my problems have anything to do with Goro or his skills.

I've got the feeling that Hayao Miyazaki (who wrote the screenplay) changed the original Shojo comic in significant ways, but I don't have the comic to compare. I think he was writing about himself and the other veterans, Takahata and Suzuki--especially Suzuki. It has to do with being student radicals during that era. He's trying to pull two historical times together and has an eight to ten-year gap: the relative ages of the characters in the story and themselves.

Though maybe not by the amount demonstrated in Mimi wo sumaseba and Omoide poro poro, Goro adds quite a bit of value to the film by animating it. (It's a quirk of mine. Umi ga kikoeru had zero added value) The Latin Quarter, a building that housed the male student clubs, was over the top with character that couldn't have been duplicated in live action. The inside was Howl's Moving Castle on steroids. Also, Japanese filmmakers don't do Showa-era period pieces well. Animating it makes it easier to get transported back to the early sixties.

08.20.2011, 09:58 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Heidi80
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was just listening to the title song on youtube and noticed that the singer looked and sounded exactly the same as the lady who sang Therru's song in Earthsea. Same singer?

08.29.2011, 05:29 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Heidi80
I was just listening to the title song on youtube and noticed that the singer looked and sounded exactly the same as the lady who sang Therru's song in Earthsea. Same singer?

Yes, it's the same singer. Apparently Goro Miyazaki likes her.

08.29.2011, 09:54 AM  
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
I saw it last weekend and intend to see it again today. I've got some problems with it, but it's definitely a worthwhile movie to see. None of my problems have anything to do with Goro or his skills.

I've got the feeling that Hayao Miyazaki (who wrote the screenplay) changed the original Shojo comic in significant ways, but I don't have the comic to compare. I think he was writing about himself and the other veterans, Takahata and Suzuki--especially Suzuki. It has to do with being student radicals during that era. He's trying to pull two historical times together and has an eight to ten-year gap: the relative ages of the characters in the story and themselves.

Though maybe not by the amount demonstrated in Mimi wo sumaseba and Omoide poro poro, Goro adds quite a bit of value to the film by animating it. (It's a quirk of mine. Umi ga kikoeru had zero added value) The Latin Quarter, a building that housed the male student clubs, was over the top with character that couldn't have been duplicated in live action. The inside was Howl's Moving Castle on steroids. Also, Japanese filmmakers don't do Showa-era period pieces well. Animating it makes it easier to get transported back to the early sixties.

Follow-up: I got the comic and, as I suspected, Miyazaki made significant changes to the story. It's not that I don't like the changes--I think the movie is better. I think Miyazaki is re-living his college years back in the turbulent '60s--essentially glorifying an era of narcissistic, Dr. Benjamin Spock-raised brats (I a admit to being one of them, so I know).

He does run into a chronological problem, however. The movie version has the main character's father dying during the Korean war--ten years prior. Funny, but I don't recall Japan participating in that conflict. Another comment in the movie was that it was a common thing. If, however, the characters were a bit older, say college age, then the truly common occurence caused by the Big One would have rung true.

08.30.2011, 10:12 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Heidi80
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by zacharykrodel
quote:
Originally posted by Heidi80

Yes, it's the same singer. Apparently Goro Miyazaki likes her.

Thanks for the info. I really loved Therru's song and From up on Poppy Hill's theme song is really beautiful as well.

08.31.2011, 05:33 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just saw the film at the Toronto Film Festival. Since I disliked Earthsea, this film was refreshing - while I don't think it eliminates all doubts about Goro, it shows he can certainly make a film with the essential Ghibli character that you associate with the company. The small moments of daily life, the lush depiction of the semi-rural setting, and the lead character herself - a Ghibli heroine through and through - are all highlights.

What isn't a highlight is the slightly melodramatic conflict pushed into the story as a snag in the main love story - though to be fair, it is slightly self-aware about that. If Whisper of the Heart could be a captivating film about a young girl's life without an external conflict, there is no reason that Kokurikozaka kara needed one. Most of the emotional moments could have remained by only modifying it slightly.

Regardless, it's a good film, one I enjoyed as much as Ocean Waves - but not Omohide Poroporo or Whisper of the Heart.

Post last edited by Theowne on 09.17.2011, 09:55 PM.

09.17.2011, 08:23 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Don't know if this is new or old news, but some of the US actors have been selected.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798188/

10.12.2012, 11:25 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks