QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Only Yesterday (possible spoilers)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Only Yesterday (possible spoilers) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Kanaeda
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.07.06
  Only Yesterday (possible spoilers)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanaeda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hi im new to the boards ive only just started getting into the ghibli films but been a long time anime fan.

i watched only yesterday....only yesterday lol, i wondered if anyone else has seen this film as i think it is one of the best anime's i have seen in a long time, ive seen a few of the other ghibli films,laputa,nausicca ,whisper of the heart, mononoke, totoro, i havent seen spirited away yet or howls.

i think they are all excellent, but i really liked this one as i could relate to the things that happens to taeko as a child especially when she gets a low mark in maths, i was never good at maths and my mum was mad at me at the time for the low mark, and the bit when they had the pineapple, its very sad some bits especially when her father slaps her for going out the house without shoes.

i have to admit to shedding some tears while watching this movie as it is very moving especially at the end but i wont spoil that.

has anyone else seen it and felt the same?

06.08.2006, 08:26 PM Kanaeda is offline   Profile for Kanaeda Add Kanaeda to your buddy list
Totoro35
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totoro35 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I've seen the film and really like it as well. My favorite part is the ending sequence. Btw, I'm horrible at math too.

06.09.2006, 10:08 AM Totoro35 is offline   Profile for Totoro35 Add Totoro35 to your buddy list Send an Email to Totoro35
Sunchaser
Totoro

Registration Date: 02.22.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sunchaser Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i've seen the film...

i like the part where she says she did bad on her math test because in art they were doing the "blow" art or something....it was weird but funny

First signature made by kittycatjess. Thank you so much!
Second signature also made by kittycatjess...it's our joint sig!
Third signature made by mpw3d . Thank you!

06.09.2006, 06:31 PM Sunchaser is offline   Profile for Sunchaser Add Sunchaser to your buddy list Send an Email to Sunchaser
Kanaeda
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanaeda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Sunchaser
i've seen the film...

i like the part where she says she did bad on her math test because in art they were doing the "blow" art or something....it was weird but funny

yeah she was doing blow paintings and it made her head funny so she couldnt do the maths test. it was sad when her own mother said there was something wrong with her because she couldnt do arithmatic.

06.09.2006, 10:13 PM Kanaeda is offline   Profile for Kanaeda Add Kanaeda to your buddy list
DamienT
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.10.06
Help me !!!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DamienT Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im here In Australia and for some reason I cant get it!!!
Ive got all the rest but not this one Why?
Is it because It hasnt been released with English dubbing yet
If you Know anything that could help me I will be very happy cheers

quote:
Originally posted by Kanaeda
hi im new to the boards ive only just started getting into the ghibli films but been a long time anime fan.

i watched only yesterday....only yesterday lol, i wondered if anyone else has seen this film as i think it is one of the best anime's i have seen in a long time, ive seen a few of the other ghibli films,laputa,nausicca ,whisper of the heart, mononoke, totoro, i havent seen spirited away yet or howls.

i think they are all excellent, but i really liked this one as i could relate to the things that happens to taeko as a child especially when she gets a low mark in maths, i was never good at maths and my mum was mad at me at the time for the low mark, and the bit when they had the pineapple, its very sad some bits especially when her father slaps her for going out the house without shoes.

i have to admit to shedding some tears while watching this movie as it is very moving especially at the end but i wont spoil that.

06.10.2006, 01:13 AM DamienT is offline   Profile for DamienT Add DamienT to your buddy list
fizzy
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.04.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fizzy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The film is yet to be release in Australia, though you can veiw the sneak preview in the Pom Poko, Yamadas, Totoro, Howl and Whisper DVD's.
It should also be noted that it's been shelved for dubbing by Disney, so to help push for a release, vote here:
http://tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?scarlettTitleId=632548

Also, to keep up to date with Madman's releases, you can go to there website here:
http://www.madman.com.au/

and specifically to their Studio Ghibli Website:
http://www.madman.com.au/studioghibli/

06.10.2006, 02:18 AM fizzy is offline   Profile for fizzy Add fizzy to your buddy list
Kanaeda
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanaeda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DamienT
Im here In Australia and for some reason I cant get it!!!
Ive got all the rest but not this one Why?
Is it because It hasnt been released with English dubbing yet
If you Know anything that could help me I will be very happy cheers
quote:
Originally posted by Kanaeda

my version is japanese with sub titles. it was one of the films on the studio ghibli archive collection which my friend got me. i think it was copied from an original but it has a proper case and sticker on the dvd.

06.10.2006, 10:17 PM Kanaeda is offline   Profile for Kanaeda Add Kanaeda to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Unfortunately, the English version is not available yet, sorry.

I won't say I'm good at maths, but the last IQ tests I tookstates that while my IQ could fall in the 130s range, it's mainly because of my high ability to see patterns, which would explain the high marks I got in my early years. In fact, the only areas where I fail is because I fail to remember the formulas, especially when I got into college (I have an extremely horrible memory).

I only saw the movie once, and that's a bootleg, choppy around the middle, so I can't really comment. But I like it for being realistic, and I'm a big fan for realism.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.11.2006, 11:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
rosie_cream
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rosie_cream Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think its really really deep and full of teenage worries and fun (we are talking about only yesterday aren't we?). It made me cry in the end, and I still do every time i watch it...

sig by kittycatjess

sig by mpw3d...thanks!!

07.25.2006, 07:13 AM rosie_cream is offline   Profile for rosie_cream Add rosie_cream to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Daniel Thomas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The "Studio Ghibli Archives" DVDs are bogus. They're pirated. Omohide Poro Poro will be released soon in Australia, so there's no reason for you to worry. It seems that version will be identical to the Japanese release, and even includes the 45-minute making-of video with subtitles. This means, of course, that I'll have to buy it. It's not so bad; I already have two versions.

Quick Dumb Question Time: is Australia under the PAL or NTSC standard?

Poro Poro is a masterpiece. One of most expert pieces of filmmaking ever made. I'll soon be showing the movie over at the Ghibli blog, for everyone's benefit (most recently showed Umi Ga Kikoeru/I Can Hear The Sea/Ocean Waves).

07.25.2006, 11:54 PM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.06.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Thomas

Quick Dumb Question Time: is Australia under the PAL or NTSC standard?

PAL, just like R2 EU DVD's.

07.26.2006, 03:29 AM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Daniel Thomas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, that's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure, since I''m supposed to write a few "buyer's guide" posts for the blog, so people know where to buy DVD's.

And more good news! Omohide Poro Poro is now available on YouTube. I just finished uploading it, and will be posting it on the Ghibli blog later this week. I'm trying to keep the "movie night" posts to once a week. That should give me enough time to write about the current showing before moving on to the next one. And I still want to write a few things about I Can Hear the Sea, which is this week's movie.

07.26.2006, 05:44 AM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
fizzy
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.04.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fizzy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was holding out for the dvd....but...argh! it was too tempting Daniel!. Only sampled it though- I know this'll be good.

Anyway, your doing a massive favor for those in the U.S.
The video quality is quite good too, that is, for Youtube

07.26.2006, 07:53 AM fizzy is offline   Profile for fizzy Add fizzy to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

I had two copies, so I could be choosey.

There's no problem with watching now, since you're only watching on a 400x300 pixel window. It's a world away from watching the DVD on a big TV screen or monitor.

07.26.2006, 01:04 PM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

Quick update. Poro Poro is now up at the Ghibli blog. Drop by anytime you wanna watch. Enjoy!

07.30.2006, 09:08 PM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love Only Yesterday. I recorded it on vhs when it played on Turner Classic Movies, so I've watched it a few times. Anyways, yeah it is great, and aside from Grave of the Fireflies it is probably the most depressing ghibli film. Actually, all of Takahata's ghibli films are sad!! Even My Neighbors the Yamadas makes me sad!!

Oh, and I thought I read that Takahata and Miyazaki were both working on films right now. Does anybody know if that is true?

08.08.2006, 02:03 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

Hmm. That's an interesting response. I don't think this movie is depressing. There are moments that are very funny, there are moments that are poignant, and there are moments of beauty, almost spiritual. I think Poro Poro touches upon the full spectrum of life.

And, yeah, you're gonna bawl your eyes out, and not just at the very end. That's practically a given with Takahata; after finishing Anne of Green Gables, I was bummed out for a week. But in a good way.

08.08.2006, 03:30 PM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
bluecladone
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bluecladone Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with Daniel, I don't think Only Yesterday is depressing... are you sure you saw the ending, Seiji? It made me cry, but in a good way. I was so happy for Taeko. Don't worry, I won't spoil it here

I think I might understand what you mean, though... the way the film moves between her childhood and her present shows how her life is moving in sort of a sad direction. She works a job in the city which she doesn't seem very attached to, and she longs for the countryside. She is mostly wrapped up in her memories, and if she does not make a change she might become stuck forever in the big world of Tokyo which can never fulfill her, or stuck in the past, which maybe is worse. Fortunately, she does take the initiative, and makes a decision she needs to in order to move on.

But yeah it's a great film... more adult than Miyazaki's films and maybe a little more relateable. I hope everyone can watch it, especially now it's on YouTube, woo hoo!

08.08.2006, 05:05 PM bluecladone is offline   Profile for bluecladone Add bluecladone to your buddy list Send an Email to bluecladone
Seiji
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, actually bluecladone did a good job of summing up what I meant by depressing. The stuff like her family life as a kid, that tv show, the incident with the shoes(or lack of), that boy in her class, and the story about the girls that picked the flowers(especially that story), all have a lingering effect on me even though the film as a whole ends very beautifully and happily.

Anyways, this thread has made me want to watch it again. So, perhaps sometime this weekend...I wish Disney would release it already so I could have the DVD!!

Also, I'm gonna have to look into this Anne of Green Gables...

08.11.2006, 04:51 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

If you thought Poro Poro was emotional, Anne of Green Gables is going to feel like stepping in front of a bus. You will bawl your eyes out throughout the final six episodes. Guaranteed or your money back.

I think the real tragedy of Taeko is the way that her life has been taken away from her. That's the unanswered question of the film: how does a precocious and spirited child become a buttoned-down, apologetic office woman? We see how the Japanese culture of conformity strikes her down, again and again. By the time she's an adult, she's lost touch with the most vital part of herself. It's this self that calls out to her during the trip to the countryside, and forces her to reexamine her life.

Perhaps that's a more American interpretation. I can't say. But it is my interpretation, and I think it works. That's part of the whole dialog with the arts.

08.13.2006, 03:43 AM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks