QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Am I the only one?...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Am I the only one?... Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.02.08
  Am I the only one?... Search for Posts by illbeyourether Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

...That hears a Brooklyn/Bronx accent from the girl who's Husband gets saved and brought back to the village by Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke?

Ps. Im obviously talking about the Dub here.

PPs. Ashitaka shaves his armpits - you can see
in the scene where he works the bellows.

Post last edited by illbeyourether on 01.13.2008, 08:41 PM.

01.13.2008, 08:36 PM illbeyourether is offline   Profile for illbeyourether Add illbeyourether to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He also doesn't have nipples according to that scene. I think it's more of a animation thing than a character behavior thing. Most anime characters don't have body hair unless it's something that the animator wants to be noticable on them.

01.13.2008, 09:25 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
illbeyourether
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.02.08
  Search for Posts by illbeyourether Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

^ ha yeah that wasnt what i was really trying to start with this thread... it was kinda a joke. but yes what you say is true

But yeah the Dub isnt that great on Mononoke...
I dont think the fat man (cant remember his name)
that Ashitaka meets in the village has a very good (suiting) voice... anyone else in on this with me?

01.13.2008, 09:58 PM illbeyourether is offline   Profile for illbeyourether Add illbeyourether to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, jigos voice suits him.
also, the chick with the accent is called toki, and of course she has an accent cos shes voiced by jada pinkette smith.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

01.14.2008, 01:20 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought the mononoke dub was very well done. I had no problems with any of the voices. They all seemed to fit well enough for me.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.14.2008, 10:41 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I rather liked mononoke's dub And found Toki's voice pretty amusing actually.

01.14.2008, 12:02 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

She's meant to be a feisty spunky grrl-with-attitude so that broad accent suits her. I'll still go with the Japanese voices any day but Mononoke's dub was okay. Along with the Porco one and Whisper's (other than Seiji) it's one of the better ones.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.14.2008, 04:01 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched Howl (AGAIN) and i was thinking about it and i Young-Sophies voice actually gets on my nerves, it doesnt really sound sincere like for instance when in 'her dream' when she's telling Howl she loves him it sounds really fake and irritating. Old-Sophies much better really.

01.14.2008, 04:39 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are some ghiblis that ive seen only in japanese and some ive only seen in english. I think it makes little difference unless the dubbing is TERRIBLE! Like full caps terrible, other than that, it doesn't bother me.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.14.2008, 04:47 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
I just watched Howl (AGAIN) and i was thinking about it and i Young-Sophies voice actually gets on my nerves, it doesnt really sound sincere like for instance when in 'her dream' when she's telling Howl she loves him it sounds really fake and irritating. Old-Sophies much better really.

ZOMG! I totally agree with you again! We'd better be careful NC, this is becoming a common occurrence. LOL. So yeah young Sophie's voice, although I don't think it sounds too insincere, is somehow irritating. It takes away from that nice scene on the hillside. It's not the actress's fault, she can't change the sound of her voice (that much). But the casting directors could have found someone else. Old Sophie really is much better though. But she'd have to break the spell eventually... else there'd be no romantic end. Either that or there'd be a... slightly scary one...

My Anime List

01.14.2008, 05:24 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

"ZOMG! I totally agree with you again! We'd better be careful NC, this is becoming a common occurrence. LOL. So yeah young Sophie's voice, although I don't think it sounds too insincere, is somehow irritating. It takes away from that nice scene on the hillside. It's not the actress's fault, she can't change the sound of her voice (that much). But the casting directors could have found someone else. Old Sophie really is much better though. But she'd have to break the spell eventually... else there'd be no romantic end. Either that or there'd be a... slightly scary one... "

YOU AND ME AGREEING? What is the world coming too And yes the ending would of been quite disturbing if it was Howl kissing her as an old woman. I mean you know the age difference. And just because it'd be a bit icky tbh. Hoho

P.s i DID do quotes but i think i must of accidently deleted an important part since it didnt work. So i just put it like that.

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 01.14.2008, 05:27 PM.

01.14.2008, 05:26 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Emily Mortimer has a lovely voice; the real problem is that she had to contend with an awkward script. No matter how good a voice actor you are, it's difficult to make lines like "I don't care if you're a monster!" sound sincere--in the English language, at least.

Howl's dub is definitely one of the better ones, though. Jean Simmons and Lauren Bacall are terrific.

01.14.2008, 11:31 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
There are some ghiblis that ive seen only in japanese and some ive only seen in english. I think it makes little difference unless the dubbing is TERRIBLE! Like full caps terrible, other than that, it doesn't bother me.

Like you #1SANFAN, I have heard many Ghibli's in Japanese and actually prefer them that way. I can pick up on the emotion of the scene more from the original Japanese than with any of the dubbing that I have seen in any movie. Fear, anger, excitment, sorrow, etc. When I first watched "The Cat Returns" all I could locate was the Chinese dialog and that actually grated on my hearing. When I figured out the characters for the Japanese dialog, it was 100% better. I can hear the emotion and see the words...

03.23.2008, 03:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
seasprite
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.22.08
  Search for Posts by seasprite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ husky--- agreement old buddy, and most dubs seem fine, if a little stilted(japanese to english often is as japanese tends to the formal and spoken english does not)

do i detect e little "i prefer it in japanese" snobbery creeping in here??

04.30.2008, 02:07 PM seasprite is offline   Profile for seasprite Add seasprite to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually liked the dubs for Howl's and Mononoke... and Emily Mortimer's voice didn't bother me at all. She has a unique voice and I thought that it went well.
I haven't watched many of the movies in Japanese, as the majority of the time it actually doesn't occur to me, but I have watched Earthsea with subs. I found that the Japanese version did hold more originality and such, and that it made it a better movie. (Earthsea's not as good as the others, though )

Yeah!

04.30.2008, 08:29 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah emily mortimer's voice suited young souphie well, it was a definte good approach seeming that every english dub of a ghibli is all amerian voiced, there might be another other then mortimer but...meh...

05.01.2008, 04:00 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Jean Simmons is great in Howl's and they had to choose someone who sounded similar but younger for Sophie's old and young parts obviously.. Hence, Mortimer. There is ussually at least one somewhat grating voice in the dubs. There are several characters in Howl's though whose voice i prefer in english.. perhaps/hopefully better casting is being done for the english dubs as Ghibli becomes more popular in the west.
I think Mononoke has one of the best dubs. I like Billy-bob Thornton as Jigo (The japanese made him a bit to typical 'Miyazaki' in my opinion and Thornton gives him another angle that i dont mind at all) and luckily Jada Pinkett-Smith doesnt sound too obvious - i think she pulls it off in most ways.. even if you are left with a bit of a funny impression. The character i had to get used to the most was actually Claire Danes, who i had probably unintentionally associated with Luhrman's Juliet to solidly.
Kiki's has a terrible dub, and the amount of extra, unnecessary lines and alterations in Laputa are incredibly annoying aswell.

05.05.2008, 08:52 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Sarcasm Master
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Search for Posts by Sarcasm Master Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The dub on that movie wasn't the best, but it was ok. Toki sounded exactly what you described. Eboshi's British, and San is some modern chic, peeved off valley girl. Ok, it was a little annoying, to top it off
. That's why there's subs.

11.30.2008, 12:58 AM Sarcasm Master is offline   Profile for Sarcasm Master Add Sarcasm Master to your buddy list
Post New Thread Thread is closed
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks