QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Princess Mononoke
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Princess Mononoke » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.03.08
  Princess MononokePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by danielle182 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey guys,
I have to do a presentation on Princess Mononoke for University and we have to choose a scene and analyse it! Which scene in the film do you think we should chose?
We want one to show the significance of women in the film and the power they have over the men!
Thanks for any help
x

12.03.2008, 02:26 PM danielle182 is offline   Profile for danielle182 Add danielle182 to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What sort of analysis is it? I'm assuming it's for a film class, but are you analyzing the social implications, the mis-en-scene, the cinematography? Depending on what aspect of the film you're analyzing, the best scene choice could vary wildly.

If all you need is a scene that shows women's prominence in the film, I would maybe pick the San vs. Eboshi fight scene, including the portion where Eboshi introduces the two women with husbands killed by wolves. Ever major player in the scene is a woman.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 12.03.2008, 04:21 PM.

12.03.2008, 04:14 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I recommend the scene with the seige of iron town by the Samauri, the women have been left in charge by Eboshi and the Samauri seem to be no match for them. Also, id also pay attention to the character of Gonza who seems to have been created by Miyazaki solely to highlight how much more in control the women are in iron town.

Clicky

12.03.2008, 06:03 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Chuckler
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chuckler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

How about for;
1. San feeding the helpless lad on her turf, especially considering that she really didn't have to.

2a. Witness the-several-scenes of the women, in Iron Town, expending their scorn for men when the men don't measure up.

2b. Witness the fact that it was the women who were left to-successfully- defend their fort/home when the men left it for errands demanded by their (female) ruler.

3. And who, sex/gender wise, rules their fort?

All in all I think the film proves, convincingly, that men are completely secondary to their female counterparts.

Ok, we have the lad, but what is the sex of the predominant 4 legged character?

Regards.

03.05.2009, 12:35 PM Chuckler is offline   Profile for Chuckler Add Chuckler to your buddy list
Roxas_Someone
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.21.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roxas_Someone Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

maybe the seen where the women are working, pushing the wooden thing up and down, it shows how they are just important to the town as the men O.o

03.05.2009, 09:20 PM Roxas_Someone is offline   Profile for Roxas_Someone Add Roxas_Someone to your buddy list Homepage of Roxas_Someone
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roxas_Someone
maybe the seen where the women are working, pushing the wooden thing up and down, it shows how they are just important to the town as the men O.o

That wooden thing is a bellows for increasing the heat of the furnace to smelt the iron from the ore...

The hero of the story is a male, but the town is pretty much run by the women. I believe that this is very different from what the traditional male/female roles were at this time in Japanese history. The women in the town are mostly former prostitutes from the surrounding area whose contracts were bought up and the women brought to the foundry and are now living a much freer life and not under the total domination of men...

Hard to pick out just one scene, but I agree with some of the previous choices that were made. It is a matter of the point that you are trying to make...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.06.2009, 01:12 AM.

03.06.2009, 01:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks