QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Favourite Music (Ghibli and other Anime)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Favourite Music (Ghibli and other Anime) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.16.10
Favourite Music (Ghibli and other Anime)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Liaam :) Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We all know that music plays an important role in Ghibli films and all other anime, and as far as i'm concerned there isn't a thread about music? Well, I hope not.
I just wanted to hear other's opinions and views on your favourite music from anime, and lets be honest- Theres quite a bit

I literally can't decide on a top ten myself, but I'll name some movies with fantastic music in them (mainly the amazing Joe Hisaishi)

Laputa: Castle In The Sky music
Only Yesterday theme tune
Spirited Away Waltz Of Chihiro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds theme song
Princess Mononoke theme song
Music in Ghost In The Shell
Opening to Season 2 of Suzumiya
Lucky Star opening song
anndd quite a lot moree...

SO! Now it's your turn. You can post a link or whatever, do a top ten blah blah etc etc. THANKIES

04.23.2010, 12:35 PM Liaam :) is offline   Profile for Liaam :) Add Liaam :) to your buddy list AIM Screenname: Sorry, not telling.
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Chihiro - 6th station, One Summer's Day
You can't deny that the music for the train scene is just emotionally empowering. And the soft piano melody in the first few minutes just feels so serene.

JinRoh - Grace (End theme)
With that kind of ending, a melancholic solo with an innocent child-like voice is just too sad it's almost criminal.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime - The Sacred Moon
Not by itself, but combined with the animation makes this THE best opening of ANY anime I have ever watched. Oscar worthy, I tell you.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.23.2010, 10:24 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Sharix
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.20.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sharix Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

- The Nausicaä theme song.
- That battle-music that appears when Nausicaä is being chased on her Mehve by an enormous plane.
- The entire Princess Mononoke soundtrack. It's really awesome.
- The fall of Laputa
- Kaze ni Naru
- That piano music that plays when Porco tries to escape milano through the river.
- Time Leap, from The girl who leapt through time.
- The Birth of Mewtwo, from that first pokémon movie.

Aaand loads of other tracks I don't recall for the moment.

04.24.2010, 03:08 AM Sharix is offline   Profile for Sharix Add Sharix to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

While loving all of the Ghibli themes, I do like just listening to the starting and ending theme music from 'Moribito' myself... I found myself listening to it over and over again the other day....

04.26.2010, 03:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really like the opening theme in Haibene Renmei.
I looked up the Shingetsutan Tsukihime - The Sacred Moon thing Roar was talking about and wow! It was sweet.
Is the anime as good as it's theme song?

Check out my music:

04.26.2010, 09:01 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not wanting to repeat some gems others have highlighted I'll add these.

I liked 'The Boy Who Accepted The Star' from Howl's Moving Castle. The French horn work on that is just... ah, words can't describe.

And much of Pom Poko's music is wonderful, especially near the (emotional) end of the story such as 'Aika', 'Teiryuu' and of course the 'Epirougu'.

WARNING, HUGE FILM SPOILERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJGR2Vho1M8 (skip to 3:03 for 'Teiryuu')

Epirougu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGaT_d47GBY&

Air TV's soundtrack, particularly 'Aozora'. The soloists voice that opens the piece sends shivers down my spin, her tonal values are so beautiful.

http://gh.ffshrine.org/song/2494/7

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.27.2010, 05:43 AM.

04.27.2010, 05:42 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
GhibStuFan
Warawara

Registration Date: 09.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by GhibStuFan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
While loving all of the Ghibli themes, I do like just listening to the starting and ending theme music from 'Moribito' myself... I found myself listening to it over and over again the other day....

Ah, don't you just love when your watching one of the episodes and you don't realize it's going to end, and then it goes to the credits with that really nice song

I love Dragon Boy and Day of the River from Spirited Away

=================================================
(\_/)
(O.o)
(^ ^) It's a rabbit.
=================================================

04.27.2010, 12:44 PM GhibStuFan is offline   Profile for GhibStuFan Add GhibStuFan to your buddy list
maggie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.25.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm too lazy to make a list of songs I like from other animes, so I'm just going to list Ghibli songs I like.

The Dragon Boy - Spirited Away
The Sixth Station - Spirited Away
Mononoke Hime - Princess Mononoke
The Legend of Ashitaka - Princess Mononoke
Tonari no Totoro - My Neighbor Totoro
The Path of Wind - My Neighbor Totoro
Carrying You - Laputa: Castle in the Sky

If I can remember more, I'll add them.

04.27.2010, 03:26 PM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Tea Master Tall
I really like the opening theme in Haibene Renmei.
I looked up the Shingetsutan Tsukihime - The Sacred Moon thing Roar was talking about and wow! It was sweet.
Is the anime as good as it's theme song?

Hell YEAH. But mind you, its rather dark and solemn.

TYPE-MOON was a doujin group who created the original game. Now it is classified as a hentai game, mind you, but the gameplay was so good that people started buying it for the game itself, which spawned the sequels and other titles.

The other titles you may recognize: Fate/Stay-Night, and the more recent series, Garden of Sinners, which was based on two novels, VERY well written too.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.28.2010, 11:49 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Liaam :)
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.16.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Liaam :) Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I forgot one summers day. Love it love it LOVE IT!!

04.28.2010, 02:01 PM Liaam :) is offline   Profile for Liaam :) Add Liaam :) to your buddy list AIM Screenname: Sorry, not telling.
DYNA
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.30.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DYNA Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ashitaka Sekki
I like it very much!

04.30.2010, 11:53 PM DYNA is offline   Profile for DYNA Add DYNA to your buddy list
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think all the Studio Ghibli films have great music, and the soundtracks always seem to fit the movies really well. I may not like the music of Pom Poko or Yamadas on their own, for example, but in concert with the images they work so great. Some personal favorites include:

- Ashitaka and San (Princess Mononoke)

- On a Train (Whisper of the Heart)

- The main theme from Grave of the Fireflies (though I rarely listen to it, when I do I'm reminded of how I felt when I watched that movie. Heartbreaking.)

- Main theme from Only Yesterday

- A Town where you can see the Ocean (Kiki's Delivery Service)

- Ponyo's Sisters/Flight of Ponyo

+ many more

As for other anime soundtracks, I like:

- Metropolis (that Dixieland jazz was so perfect, and "I can't stop loving you" in the end made the scene even more brilliant.)

- Akira (traditional wooden drums and haunting vocal sounds, can it get any better?)

- Mind Game (it's so exotic and includes some crazy and downright awesome tracks. Great drumming, too.)

- Opening to Boogiepop Phantom (funky and catchy, with great vocals.)

EDIT: Also, the soundtrack to Night on the Galactic Railroad. Words like beautiful, surreal, haunting and hypnotic only begin to describe its brilliance.

Post last edited by O-Jay88 on 05.02.2010, 01:33 PM.

05.02.2010, 10:41 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am a fan of most of the Ghibli scores, Porco Rosso is charming, Mononoke is moving, Kiki is delightful, etc.

However, with all that being said, in my mind I have a clear favourite among the Ghibli music, and that is the melody of Castle in the Sky (Laputa) (heard in Kimi o Nosete among others). Honestly I think this is Hisaishi's greatest melody and one of the greatest melodies in film music altogether. It is so evocative and deeply moving.

05.19.2010, 05:13 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
supernova
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.19.10
Cat Returns CreditsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supernova Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I absolutely love the ending song in the Cat Returns. Soo wonderful! "Kazi ni naru" is probably the best song ever! Love it!
All of Ghibli's sound tracks are so wonderful. I think half my ipod is filled with Joe Hisaishi's music. They fit the movies so well. I think a good sound track is very important to a movie. It always is something I'm looking for. Good job Ghibli! Keep making more masterpieces.

05.19.2010, 06:53 AM supernova is offline   Profile for supernova Add supernova to your buddy list
FunkyDan
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.26.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FunkyDan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Carrying you is definitely amazing. Um I love the entire soundtrack to Howl's Moving Castle, it's so soft and so beautiful. I really like the Cradle Song from the Vision of Escaflowne.

That's all I can find on my iTunes, I'm sure something will randomly pop into my head, but whatever haha

My favorite film from Studio Ghibli would have to be Howl's Moving Castle, from the story, to the soundtrack, this movie has exceeded all others. But I will always be a fan of every movie by Studio Ghibli, I'm not the biggest fan of Whisper of the Heart, I guess because I like the action and the magic in the others.

05.19.2010, 02:02 PM FunkyDan is offline   Profile for FunkyDan Add FunkyDan to your buddy list Homepage of FunkyDan
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, Sekai no Yakusoku from HMC is one of my favourite songs, period. I think that's a personal thing; it just reminds me of a particular time in my life. I forget the name of the theme... is it Jinsei No Merry-Go-Round? Terribly melancholy, but I love it.

The Tsubasa Chronicle soundtracks are so lovely. Very emotive, very beautiful sounds. A lot of piano and violin involved...

Macross Frontier had good music too, good songs from the two female leads.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 05.19.2010, 03:36 PM.

05.19.2010, 03:35 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I also like the music by Joe Hisaishi the most, although the new version of Country Road in Whisper of the Heart is very cute and fits to the movie and it's sweet story perfectly.

I guess I like the Nausicaa theme song and Princess Mononoke theme song the most, those are very epic and sound so beautiful.

Post last edited by Kemi on 05.19.2010, 05:08 PM.

05.19.2010, 05:07 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Basma
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.05.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Basma Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirited away (Theme song)
Spirited away (Sixth Station)
My Neighbour Totoro (Hey Let's go)
Laputa: Castle in the Sky - Main theme - Piano
Princess Mononoke (Theme Song)
Nausicaa Of the Valley of the wind (Nasicaa Requem)
Whisper of The Heart (Country Road)

06.05.2010, 03:21 PM Basma is offline   Profile for Basma Add Basma to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I LOVE clannad's ending song...
Dango Daikazoku!!!!
dango dango dango dango dango dango daikazoku!
it's so catchy and cute

06.21.2010, 06:31 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
blackice10
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.17.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by blackice10 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The music at the end of Grave of the Fireflies makes the death all the more moving and poignant, the track could not have been chosen better :'(

Also LOVE the Naruto theme

1. I am never wrong.

2. If I'm ever wrong, refer to rule 1.

Be excellent to each other

07.17.2010, 04:51 PM blackice10 is offline   Profile for blackice10 Add blackice10 to your buddy list Send an Email to blackice10
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks