QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Cat returns questions...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » The Cat returns questions... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.14.06
  The Cat returns questions...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Picho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I loved the movie but there were a few parts that confused me.

Such as when the cat king first shows up.

2 things here, the first being how the cats walked. Most of the time they walk like humans, but here, they kindof snaked with each step.

Secondly, the other cats. Unlike the cats from cat kingdom, they walked on all fours, howled and screached at the prarade goers, only to be thrown over walls or kicked by secret service cats. I'm woundering why the conflict here.

Later on, after she had become and they were trying to entertain her, why were there dogs? I always thought cats and dogs were suppose to be enemies or something. (not to mention the dogs were quite big compaired to the cats, or quite small.)

then in the sword fight between king and baron. The baron strikes the stone, causing it to shatter, but this some how triggers the king to shead.

Was this stone (which also acted like an eye) some how stopping his loss of hair or something?

and lastly, would there ever be another movie with the baron?

08.14.2006, 05:16 PM Picho is offline   Profile for Picho Add Picho to your buddy list
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Firstly welcome to the forum, secondly i havent seen the cat returns yet but i saw kiki delivery service tonight on filmfour which was great so im pretty much going to get all the ghibli dvds they're all musts.

08.14.2006, 05:21 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We'll do it one by one.

2 things here, the first being how the cats walked. Most of the time they walk like humans, but here, they kindof snaked with each step.

-If you mean in this particular film, well, you have just discovered one of the things ghibli is good at; realistic movements. If you have ever seen a real cat walk on twos, you'll find it's exactly the same.

Secondly, the other cats. Unlike the cats from cat kingdom, they walked on all fours, howled and screached at the prarade goers, only to be thrown over walls or kicked by secret service cats. I'm woundering why the conflict here.

-They're the locals. Imagine if one day King Arthur came back to life and paraded down 5th avenue. Same thing. And they walk on fours because... um, that's how cats walk? lol

Later on, after she had become and they were trying to entertain her, why were there dogs? I always thought cats and dogs were suppose to be enemies or something. (not to mention the dogs were quite big compaired to the cats, or quite small.)

-Um, no. That's a very common misconception. Dogs rarely chase cats in reality.

then in the sword fight between king and baron. The baron strikes the stone, causing it to shatter, but this some how triggers the king to shead.

Was this stone (which also acted like an eye) some how stopping his loss of hair or something?

-Yeah um, this one's complicated too, even I don't know the real answer. Have to check the comic, so hold on.

-Depends, wouldn't it? Don't think so though, ghibli don't do sequels, with the exception of the ghibli and Mei and the Kitten Bus shorts.

But FYI, TCR has a sequel of sorts for the manga. Check it out in the other thread

[/QUOTE]

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.14.2006, 11:22 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Picho
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Picho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

with the snaky movements though, Muta, the sage cat, and the henchman cat (i dont remember there names at this time.) walked normal.

The locals as you say though, also only talked in meows and screeches. This does lead me to belive that they are normal cats, never touching the cat kingdom.

Though what you say holds some ground as well...

I will have to say that after watching this movie, i can now draw cats doing matix-like kicks or hand stands. Since i want to do online-comics I want to work on a comic involving cats now till i get better at other thigns..

08.15.2006, 02:56 AM Picho is offline   Profile for Picho Add Picho to your buddy list
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Picho

i think wht happend was thet baron also cut all the kings hair off when he cut the stone like in old action/comadys when people cut other peoples clothes in sword fights

08.15.2006, 04:44 AM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Picho
I loved the movie but there were a few parts that confused me.

Such as when the cat king first shows up.

I loved the way that the cats walked...it was so realistic, and as Roarkiller said, that's what Ghibli are best at!

The Cat Kingdom is a magical place, and our world is not. That's why the cats from the Cat Kingdom can walk and talk, but the cats from our world are just...well, cats!!

There are already two movies with the Baron and Muta...Whisper Of The Heart and The Cat Returns. Therefore, I don't think that the Baron will appear in any more films...except maybe short ones that are only shown at the Ghibli Museum.

08.15.2006, 09:09 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, he will definitely not appear in the shorts. They'll need Hiiragi's permission to do that. Although I don't think she'd mind, since she was pretty ecstatic the time MIMI got adapted into a movie.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.15.2006, 10:21 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I stand corrected!

08.15.2006, 10:32 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Picho
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Picho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just hope if he ever does appear again, that Westly will do his voice again.

(i forgot the actual name of the voice actor. i know its C.E. <at least i think it is{dont hit me!} >

08.15.2006, 11:32 PM Picho is offline   Profile for Picho Add Picho to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Cary Elwes...and, no offence, but he was bloody awful in Cat Returns!! Seriously, watch it with the subs, it's SOOOO much better!

08.16.2006, 01:16 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have always wanted a second Neko no Ongaeshi.

The reason why is because..
I was hoping that in the movie, the Baron would find his love (...what was her name? She was in Mimi wo Sumaseba.)

Perhaps a merge between the Cat Returns and Whiper of the Heart would be the best: where Seiji's grandfather and the Baron are reunited with the ones they love.

Yay! More Kantorii Roodo!!!

btw, glad to have joined these forums ^___^

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

08.16.2006, 04:06 PM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

[SPOILER]

Actually, in the original comic, the Cat Kingdom was a place where cats would go when they couldn't be in the human world anymore, a "cat heaven" of sorts. So maybe the cats in the parade were servants of the Cat King. Plus, that procession made him look really important, which is probably what he wanted.

There are actually folktales from England and Europe about processions of cats, and a King of the Cats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Cats

I remember reading a variant of the tale in which a man got so fed up with his cat that he cut it's head off and threw it into the fireplace. To his horror, the severed head began speaking to him, telling them that he would have revenge, as his "master" had just cut off the head of the King of the Cats. After this, the man worried for a while, wondering what kind of revenge would be carried out against him. He found out some time later when he got a kitten. It tore his throat out.

So yeah, there's some interesting stories about great gatherings of cats plotting stuff, gossiping about the humans, or just being ticked off by humans in general.

08.17.2006, 11:49 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thats soo kool i wish i had a cat that ripped peoples throughts out it will be gud for when people piss me off lol

08.18.2006, 05:59 AM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by kittycatjess
thats soo kool i wish i had a cat that ripped peoples throughts out it will be gud for when people piss me off lol

*cough*tiger*cough*

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.18.2006, 06:42 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks