QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - dubbing
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » dubbing » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Aoi
quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
I hate dubbing!! Everyone should only watch them in the original Japanese with subtitles! People who watch dubs are just too lazy to read!!
BAN DUBBING ALTOGETHER!!! Dubbing blows!

I personally like the dubs. I have never heard the Japanese language tracks because I wouldn't understand the words anyway. BTW, people who watch dubs are not lazy. Almost everyone I know (including me) watches the dub with the original Japanese subtitles on the screen. So I can't see how we are being too lazy to read!

Welcome to the forum AOI cool name. 8]

09.04.2006, 05:42 PM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

With a dubbed movie, you can conserntrate on the Picture!!! Nuf-said >

09.06.2006, 03:16 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Miya
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

im not too keen on dubs either. i think its better to watch it in its original context, so with the japanese language. ive heard a few of the english dubbed versions and they just dont sound right to me, the language just doesnt seem to go with the picture heh

09.08.2006, 06:48 AM Miya is offline   Profile for Miya Add Miya to your buddy list Send an Email to Miya
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i like the dubs ghibli always does good on the doing the dubs but i also watch it in japanese.

09.08.2006, 04:38 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Snakebite
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Snakebite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well I would watch non dubs but I can understand Japanese, but if you live on misery lolz then you must

Post last edited by Snakebite on 09.09.2006, 08:08 AM.

09.09.2006, 08:07 AM Snakebite is offline   Profile for Snakebite Add Snakebite to your buddy list Homepage of Snakebite
Rom
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.19.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rom Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Personally im not bothered if its dubbed or subbed,but some sound better in japanese,especially Kikis Delivery Service-the dub on that is terrible.What difference does it make if you watch it dubbed or subbed?You can still appreciate it either way.

09.10.2006, 12:11 PM Rom is offline   Profile for Rom Add Rom to your buddy list
Totoro35
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totoro35 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Rom
What difference does it make if you watch it dubbed or subbed?You can still appreciate it either way.

Amen. ^_^

09.10.2006, 06:58 PM Totoro35 is offline   Profile for Totoro35 Add Totoro35 to your buddy list Send an Email to Totoro35
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I see the light!!!!

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

09.11.2006, 05:19 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Aoi
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Aoi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Toolfan1912
quote:
Originally posted by Aoi
quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
I hate dubbing!! Everyone should only watch them in the original Japanese with subtitles! People who watch dubs are just too lazy to read!!
BAN DUBBING ALTOGETHER!!! Dubbing blows!

I personally like the dubs. I have never heard the Japanese language tracks because I wouldn't understand the words anyway. BTW, people who watch dubs are not lazy. Almost everyone I know (including me) watches the dub with the original Japanese subtitles on the screen. So I can't see how we are being too lazy to read!

Welcome to the forum AOI cool name. 8]

Thank you very much.

09.11.2006, 06:52 PM Aoi is offline   Profile for Aoi Add Aoi to your buddy list
Jomo
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.25.06
  First Marco dub?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jomo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched the first dub of Porreo Rosso.

I am searching for the voice cast - anyone have it, please?
PS Love this site and discussion!

09.25.2006, 04:51 PM Jomo is offline   Profile for Jomo Add Jomo to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

its on the main site buddy, welcom aboard!

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.25.2006, 04:56 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have always preferred watching the subbed versions because im learning japanese..
Its really cool!! With every movie i see I know more and more japanese words, so I recognise more words that appear in the movie!!!
Mostly the dubs are not so bad (operative word being MOSTLY!!) but I just like to listen to the japanese language!!

09.25.2006, 05:11 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
furs
Totoro

Registration Date: 09.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by furs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mononoke, Howl's, Porco Rosso and Sprited Away's dubbed versions ain't that bad.. Especially Mononoke. Claire Danes voice on San is just great in my opinion.

The young girl who dubbed Setsuko's voice in Grave of the Fireflies has very similar feel of the japanese girl who originally voiced it.

Post last edited by furs on 09.28.2006, 08:30 AM.

09.28.2006, 08:29 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm noticing that you do lose something with the English dubs in some cases. For example, in the Japanese version of Whisper of the Heart, when Seiji is telling Shizuku about Moon outside Mr Nishi's shop, he tells her (in the Japanese version) that he's heard other neighbours calls Moon "Otama". In the English dub he says "Muta".

Now later in the film when Shizuku is walking home from Yuko's house immedately after she's made her decision to write a story, she sees a little child calling after Moon as the cat walks across the road. The child calls the cat "Muta" and Shizuku calls him "Moon" then, as if in surprise says to herself "Muta?". It's clear this is the first time she's heard this name, and it's the main name the cat goes under in The Cat Returns.

In the English dub you miss this point completely because Seiji calls the cat Muta a couple of days previously, the scene is completely different in the English dub.

I'm sure there must be lots of other instances where the dubbed English translation misses stuff.

By the way does anyone know what Muta and Otama translate to in English?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.30.2006, 05:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
i saw it subbed, so i didnt realise.. hehe

09.30.2006, 06:48 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So far I've only ever watched the dubbed versions, time to sit down and plough my way through the subtitled ones now..

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.30.2006, 02:33 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
The subtitles on theCagliostro DVD from Japan are so shit!!
Its unbelievable! They practically force me to watch it in english next time!

09.30.2006, 04:11 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks