QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Best Score
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Best Score » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Out of all Ghibli Movies ive seen the soundtracks for Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro really stood out.

Especially "The Legend of Ashitaka" - Princess Mononoke, "Procession of the Spirits" - Spirited Away, and "If ive been Enveloped by Tenderness" - Kiki's Delivery Service.

08.16.2007, 12:34 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's a really difficult one for me. I'd have to go for Nausicaa closely followed by Mononoke. The opening music for both is stirring and timeless

I particularly like the music for the opening credits to Nausicaa. The bit with the tapestry of the valleys history.

All in all Joe Haisashi is a brilliant musician.

08.16.2007, 02:24 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

btw ive found out who did the score for The Castle of Cagliostro and it was Ugi Ohno

08.16.2007, 02:56 PM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I find it odd that so many people are choosing Laputa. I love the main theme as much as anybody, but beyond that I can only remember about one song; the rest of the soundtrack has completely evaporated from my memory.

I find it similar to Nausciaa's score in that regard. I love the opening credits music and the main theme from Nausicaa, but the rest is entirely forgettable.

Hisaishi's later scores are much more evenly balanced.

08.16.2007, 07:08 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
fuji
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fuji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Princess Mononoke leads the pack as far as best score. Miyazaki always has great music in all his movies. This one stood out to me as having a moving score through the entire film.

08.17.2007, 10:12 AM fuji is offline   Profile for fuji Add fuji to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's between Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. There's really nothing I can say about Mononoke that hasn't been said already. I'm trying to learn "Ashitaka & San" on my keyboard. It's proving difficult though as I can't read music.

But as for Howl's ... there was this one piece that was used in various parts of the film, it think it was called "The Merry-Go-Round Of Life", don't know what it is in Japanese ... anyway, I thought it was really brilliant how although it was the same piece, they changed it in different scenes to create different atmospheres. In some scenes it was used to create a very upbeat mood, for example: when Sophie is flying over the rooftops with Howl. And then in another scene, it sounds almost melancholy, very sad. I'm referring to the little bit where Howl sees Sophie lying asleep, with the curse momentarily lifted. I really like that version. Though the tune is very simple, it's extremely emotional and atmospheric.

Hisaishi is a musical genius.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 08.26.2007, 07:57 AM.

08.26.2007, 07:41 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
If I listen to music its the words I hear and I think of songs as stories set to music.

Yeah that's just what I do too. I'm not quite as drastically oblivious to the music as you say you are, quite the opposite in fact, but like you, if the lyrics are nonsensical or just plain trashy then I tend to lose interest. The music in a film is very important to me though.

My Anime List

08.26.2007, 07:54 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks