QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Saw Ponyo
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Saw Ponyo Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

And that is all I need to know. Good to hear that Miyazaki isn't going downhill.

Well, six months to go, assuming my cinemas pick it up at all. We didn't even get Gedo Senki the last time round.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.30.2008, 11:44 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Howl is fair game, though, because Miyazaki essentially rewrote the book to suit his animation style. As for imagery, Howl blows everything else away. The Howl story, however, is not as good as the book (IMO of course) and is pretty weak for a Miyazaki. Hence, I believe Ponyo is better than either film.

What? I loved Howl!!

07.30.2008, 01:22 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just saw it on youku.com...I'm still reeling. At several points I cried, which I rarely do when I watch a movie. It was phenomenal. Miyazaki has outdone himself, as usual. For 100 minutes, I felt like a child again, which is really something. Miyazaki's imagination, his storytelling, his characters and animation have just gotten better with age, rare with any filmmaker. No one's made a film with such beauty and whimsicality as Ponyo. It really felt like Miyazaki put all his effort into it, so it kinda felt like it was his swan song, though.
Wish I had seen it at a movie theater with English subs instead of watching a low-resolution camcorder-rip on a Chinese video-sharing site, though ...

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

07.30.2008, 08:22 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Yubaba
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.02.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yubaba Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This thread is making me sad that I don't live in Japan. :( I really want to see it now!

08.02.2008, 11:05 AM Yubaba is offline   Profile for Yubaba Add Yubaba to your buddy list
phenolphthalein
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by phenolphthalein Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i fel your pain, i have to wait for a chinese dub to be made before the cinemas here release it even though everyone whos the chinese dub is 10X worse than the english dub and the english dub is another 10X worse than the original. :-(

08.05.2008, 01:57 AM phenolphthalein is offline   Profile for phenolphthalein Add phenolphthalein to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I heard the Thai sub was worse. Some guy from Thailand complained that his version had Chihiro saying "Look! A pig! I wonder if it's good to eat?" And how all the video owners referred it as the movie about a girl selling pigs.

You have to admit though, it's ridiculous to the point of being hilarious

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.05.2008, 08:59 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was watching an anime once, dubbed, and I decided that I wanted to watch the subbed version instead... so when I rewatched the episode, there were a number of different changes, such as when Ed was talking about sunshine and whatnot in the dubbed version (something about how he wanted the sun to come out so that he could be happy again), in the subbed version he only said something about how his head hurt and he was upset. That was annoying.

08.05.2008, 05:13 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kiki quote

I just like the sky, you see?

Another reason to like Miyazaki's films. All of his clouds and sky scenes are wonderful. I believe that some, if not all, are drawn by a master of the art of clouds, etc...

anybody, please correct me if I am wrong...

I like your sky sig, but liked the previous one better...

(dog, cat, umbrella, etc)

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.06.2008, 01:17 AM.

08.06.2008, 01:16 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Ah, yeah. I love the sky in his films. We were watching Howl, (My friends and I), and when Sophie was on her way up to the castle, the sky was lovely... and I kept on commenting on it, haha... guess I like the sky a tad bit too much.

The reason that I changed my sig was because I just got this odd obsession with the sky, so yeah... I wanted to make a sky collage, but without actually making the collage and without having photoshop, all I could do was use Picassa, this photo thing from google, yay!

08.06.2008, 01:33 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's true, the skies always seem to look really nice. Anyway, has there been any news of when it's likely to be released outside Japan?

08.06.2008, 05:10 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gigantic_red_bow {Kiki}
Ah, yeah. I love the sky in his films. We were watching Howl, (My friends and I), and when Sophie was on her way up to the castle, the sky was lovely... and I kept on commenting on it, haha... guess I like the sky a tad bit too much.

The reason that I changed my sig was because I just got this odd obsession with the sky, so yeah... I wanted to make a sky collage, but without actually making the collage and without having photoshop, all I could do was use Picassa, this photo thing from google, yay!

You might get an element of dissatisfaction with Ponyo. While the foreground characters are the same as always, the backgrounds don't have the sharp, photorealistic quality he normally has. Clouds are not very distinct. For the life of me, I don't know why the departure from his normal style.

08.06.2008, 01:32 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Hmm, perhaps he got bored?

Ah well, I'll probably love it all the same. it wasn't always the background that made me love Ghibli so much, there are other reasons too... yay!

08.06.2008, 06:40 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

The Yamadas was a different as can be, wasn't it?

Personally, because I don't see any official answers, I'd say there's been a change in the background artists. I mean, he draws the storyboards and all, but somehow I'm not sure Miyazaki has much of a hand in the background department.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.07.2008, 11:13 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
The Yamadas was a different as can be, wasn't it?

That isn't a very fair comparison. Miyazaki and Takahata are both directors, but because Miyazaki is also the chief animator his films have artistic consistency.

quote:

Personally, because I don't see any official answers, I'd say there's been a change in the background artists. I mean, he draws the storyboards and all, but somehow I'm not sure Miyazaki has much of a hand in the background department.

Kazou Oga has largely been in charge of background in all of Hayao Miyazaki's films since Totoro, but I believe he also worked on Ponyo so this does not explain the change in background style.

The change in style seems to be Miyazaki's choice. He repeatedly stated (just like Goro did for Gedo Senki) that he would be using "simple art". Moreover, his storyboards for Ponyo were unusually detailed (i.e. they are all in colour), meaning that he had a clear vision and wanted the animators to follow it closely.

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

08.09.2008, 05:17 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Forgot about this, but I think those who frequent Megatokyo may have already read this review of Ponyo.

http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/1148#rant930

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.18.2008, 09:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Yay! Kiki
Baron

You know, I couldn't help but laugh at that.

Because I know that I'll probably like it anyway, even if it doesn't make any sense like Howl's Moving Castle.

08.18.2008, 02:20 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Shawn
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So eh, is Ponyo a movie that is on the kid-ish side with chibbi characters or is it a serious movie?

08.18.2008, 07:41 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

It's an awesome Ghibli movie that I haven't seen it yet.

But when Miyazaki adds chibis to his movies, I commit suicide out of disappointment...

08.18.2008, 07:58 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ghibli isn't kidish...

08.18.2008, 08:07 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Shawn
So eh, is Ponyo a movie that is on the kid-ish side with chibbi characters or is it a serious movie?

It won't be anything like Princess Mononoke, if that's what you're hoping for. It will be more along the lines of My Neighbor Totoro--a more than welcome change of pace in my opinion. I think it will in many ways an opposite to Howl's Moving Castle, and for those who know me, this isn't just wishful thinking. Miyazaki has a tendency to work within a specific style for a few films before moving in an opposite direction. Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa, and Laputa were all action-packed adventures, and then came My Neighbor Totoro. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle have all been fairly action-packed, with a focus on bizarre imagery, and with a gradual shift away from logical coherence. Ponyo looks like it will be setting off in a new direction altogether.

08.18.2008, 08:24 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks