QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc. Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yay, lots of piggies!
Guess what their favourite animal is...

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

08.30.2006, 02:28 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, Miyazaki is well-known for his love for pigs. As you can see, even in films where no pigs actually appear, such as Nausicaa, he still inserts porcine imagery. There's also a 'humanoid pig' in Yoshuyuki Momose's "Ghiblies Episode 2", named Oka-chan. He's a glutton .
You can find his picture here, with extremely hot curry and steam coming out of his nose: http://www.onlineghibli.com/ghiblies2/char.php
Btw, I'm adding this picture from "Whisper of the Heart" to the "umbrella scenes" in Miyazaki films:

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Post last edited by Konan on 08.30.2006, 02:42 PM.

08.30.2006, 02:38 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

what about, the integration of technology with nature?, it is either fighting eachother(mononoke/Nausicaa) or kinda working together, which is in laputa a bit, with the castle, and howls castle is kinda in that category, and of course haveing heroines in stead of heros.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.30.2006, 02:41 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For the pigs, you missed the pig figurine at the door of the Chikyuu-ya (Whisper).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.01.2006, 10:46 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Freyarule
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was watching Laputa again today and noticed a slight similarity:

09.01.2006, 11:49 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey cool, those fox squirrels, Teto is awesome. Jezz Miyazaki intertwined all of his movies.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.01.2006, 11:51 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Konan
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
hey cool, those fox squirrels, Teto is awesome. Jezz Miyazaki intertwined all of his movies.

Also, the pose which Nausicaa is in and the pose which the Laputa robot is in are very similar...but that's probably coincidental...

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment

09.01.2006, 01:24 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Konan

Also, the pose which Nausicaa is in and the pose which the Laputa robot is in are very similar...but that's probably coincidental...

*notices* You're right what a coincidence

09.01.2006, 02:28 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

quote:
Originally posted by Konan
Pigs appear all throughout Miyazaki's work. Some examples:
"Horus, Prince of the Sun" (look closely for it)

"Animal Treasure Island"

"Yuki's Sun"

"Future Boy Conan"

"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" (the masks look rather porcine)

"Castle in the Sky"

"Porco Rosso"

"Nandarou"

"Sora Iro no Tane"

"On Your Mark" (again, look at the masks)

"Princess Mononoke"

"Spirited Away"

"The Imaginary Flying Machines"

Oops, I almost forgot -- there's a pig in "Whisper of the Heart" too:

And also in the Ghibli Museum short "The Ornithopter Story: Fly to the Sky Hiyodiro Tengu", which is shown in a "film box":

Post last edited by Konan on 09.03.2006, 04:18 PM.

09.03.2006, 04:17 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

The pig in that short looks curously like PR...

09.03.2006, 04:27 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

inspiration maybe?

Click for Gallery^^

09.03.2006, 04:34 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Freyarule
Totoro

very possibly...

09.03.2006, 04:45 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, thats definatly Porco! But in his Youth!

09.06.2006, 07:09 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Notice the resemblance?:
Jim, from "Animal Treasure Island":

Pazu, from "Castle in the Sky":

09.06.2006, 10:10 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki often uses European settings, with early technology like in Howls. The Airships are alos oner of his favourites.. (nausicaa, laputa, howls..etc.)

My personal favourite recurring theme, is SLIME!
Miyazaki often uses slimy and squishy characters.
eg: Angry God at beginning of Mononoke, and Ashitaka´s arm. Also, those guys from the Witch of the Waste in Howl´s Moving Castle. And finally, of course, Spirited Away, where nearly every creature (or God) is Slimy!

09.16.2006, 03:14 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Freyarule
Totoro

The sliminess made me squirm...>_<

09.16.2006, 03:22 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

thats why porco is so good, no slime!

Click for Gallery^^

09.16.2006, 04:28 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

haha lol

09.16.2006, 07:38 PM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

mononoke rocks hard, but the slime at the end was a tad wierd. i do understand this though, even as i was watching porco for the first time i was waiting for slime, but no dice. yay .

Click for Gallery^^

09.16.2006, 07:43 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

By the way, I forgota bout the slime in Nasuicaä. When they summon the giant before he is ready, he is all slimy aswell.
I cant think of any other slime ocurrences. Maybe you can find some I forgot!!

09.17.2006, 05:23 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks