QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Saw Ponyo
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Saw Ponyo Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

mmm

nicely summed up OO

08.18.2008, 08:29 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like childish kinda movies. ^^ At least ones like this. I'll be glad one day, in the distant future of 2006 (btw, this is a quote of fun from the back of a game containing the word "Shikigami" in it my friend found, so it has nothing to do with the movie itself, just a fun pun thingy..) to own this as well as a heck lotta other stuff. *define scary*

08.18.2008, 09:27 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Shawn
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn
So eh, is Ponyo a movie that is on the kid-ish side with chibbi characters or is it a serious movie?

It won't be anything like Princess Mononoke, if that's what you're hoping for. It will be more along the lines of My Neighbor Totoro--a more than welcome change of pace in my opinion. I think it will in many ways an opposite to Howl's Moving Castle, and for those who know me, this isn't just wishful thinking. Miyazaki has a tendency to work within a specific style for a few films before moving in an opposite direction. Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa, and Laputa were all action-packed adventures, and then came My Neighbor Totoro. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle have all been fairly action-packed, with a focus on bizarre imagery, and with a gradual shift away from logical coherence. Ponyo looks like it will be setting off in a new direction altogether.

I've only seen Mononoke Hime, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, and Howl's moving castle. So I really don't have a total understanding of your post.

08.18.2008, 10:10 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Think of it as Totoro meets Howl .

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

08.19.2008, 12:23 AM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
quote:
So eh, is Ponyo a movie that is on the kid-ish side with chibbi characters or is it a serious movie?

It won't be anything like Princess Mononoke, if that's what you're hoping for. It will be more along the lines of My Neighbor Totoro--a more than welcome change of pace in my opinion. I think it will in many ways an opposite to Howl's Moving Castle, and for those who know me, this isn't just wishful thinking. Miyazaki has a tendency to work within a specific style for a few films before moving in an opposite direction. Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa, and Laputa were all action-packed adventures, and then came My Neighbor Totoro. Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle have all been fairly action-packed, with a focus on bizarre imagery, and with a gradual shift away from logical coherence. Ponyo looks like it will be setting off in a new direction altogether.

I've only seen Mononoke Hime, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, and Howl's moving castle. So I really don't have a total understanding of your post.

Well, you can probably draw some parallels between Mononoke and Nausicaa (environmentalist epics), as well as between SA and HMC (lots of weird creatures and things). My guess is that it will have a few weird creatures and a very subtle environmentalist message, but that the similarities will end there.

08.19.2008, 02:20 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Shawn
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well than I'm not really interested in it.
I'm all for the Adult-themed Animes and movies.

08.19.2008, 09:28 AM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watch Totoro, and maybe you'll change your mind. No one does animation for children like Ghibli. I first saw Totoro when I was pretty far into my teenage years, and it's still one of my favorite films of all time.

08.19.2008, 10:15 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Konan
Think of it as Totoro meets Howl .

I think I'd prefer Totoro meets...Totoro.

08.19.2008, 12:02 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Forgot about this, but I think those who frequent Megatokyo may have already read this review of Ponyo.

http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/1148#rant930

The reviewer totally slated it!

08.19.2008, 03:02 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Yurei
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.30.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yurei Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I joined this forum because I couldn't get over Ponyo! I live in the U.S. but I went to Japan for 2 weeks and so I saw it! Damn it was good.

I wouldn't say that it was Totoro meets Howl. How I described it was the Little Mermaid done right (I didn't like the Little Mermaid). Then my friend got mad at me because he liked the Little Mermaid

Oh man I just love the main theme for it... It's so uplifting. Just like Sampo or the ending theme song for Totoro.

08.30.2008, 02:03 PM Yurei is offline   Profile for Yurei Add Yurei to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's funny, I find the opposite to be true. But the little mermaid is still too childish to really appreciate anyway, meh.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.31.2008, 05:58 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Yurei
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yurei Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh yah and about the background art not being right or something. The movie is all hand drawn. That might be why. Even for the background art movements like the grass moving or something. It was all hand drawn because Miyazaki wanted to make a statement that hand drawing is the future. He said he wasn't proud of Howl's Moving Castle because of the extensive use of CG.

Oh well.

08.31.2008, 11:00 AM Yurei is offline   Profile for Yurei Add Yurei to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Yurei
Oh yah and about the background art not being right or something. The movie is all hand drawn. That might be why. Even for the background art movements like the grass moving or something. It was all hand drawn because Miyazaki wanted to make a statement that hand drawing is the future. He said he wasn't proud of Howl's Moving Castle because of the extensive use of CG.

Oh well.

Miyazaki's background art has almost always been painted by hand. Admittedly, he used some CGI in Howl and Sen to Chihiro, but those same films also had very elaborately rendered background scenes done by hand. Hence, I don't buy the 'hand drawn look' argument. There is a case to be made, however, for a desire to present a whimsical look. In any case, I didn't care for it and think he could have used his normal style to tell this story--just as he told Totoro.

08.31.2008, 06:22 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
mpw3d
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mpw3d Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol since its not coming out to UK for quite along time, most likely next year.

Ive decided on downloading the film through torrent & managed to get hold of some english subs to go with it

so will be watching it in an hour or tomorrow! yay

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

09.04.2008, 04:48 PM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was bad and watched part on google video. >.< ah well, what I saw was utterly brilliant and clever..

09.04.2008, 06:30 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
quote:

Oh well.

Miyazaki's background art has almost always been painted by hand. Admittedly, he used some CGI in Howl and Sen to Chihiro, but those same films also had very elaborately rendered background scenes done by hand. Hence, I don't buy the 'hand drawn look' argument. There is a case to be made, however, for a desire to present a whimsical look. In any case, I didn't care for it and think he could have used his normal style to tell this story--just as he told Totoro.

Sorry for the double post, but I saw part on google video, as i said earlier.. and I thought that the way that they did the back ground was great!

09.04.2008, 06:32 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Yurei
Susuwatari

Well, everything from Princess Mononoke on used CGI. Even for its animation. Ponyo did not. You can tell. When Sousuke is walking along, sometimes he lacks detail, such as his eyes are just black lines instead of white in the middle and so on. I've never seen that in previous ghibli movies.

If you watch it in theaters, you'll know what I'm talking about...

And yah I know the background art is all hand drawn. Sorry I wasn't talking about that. I actually went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum to see that background artist's work. Pretty damn awesome.

09.04.2008, 07:50 PM Yurei is offline   Profile for Yurei Add Yurei to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Well, everything from Princess Mononoke on used CGI. Even for its animation. Ponyo did not. You can tell. When Sousuke is walking along, sometimes he lacks detail, such as his eyes are just black lines instead of white in the middle and so on. I've never seen that in previous ghibli movies.

If you watch it in theaters, you'll know what I'm talking about...

And yah I know the background art is all hand drawn. Sorry I wasn't talking about that. I actually went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum to see that background artist's work. Pretty damn awesome.

Even though I see your point, it's not fair to call the process Ghibli used for the foreground art 'CGI.' In Spirited Away for example, the source drawings for every frame (the differences to be more exact) were drawn originally by hand and then boxed up and shipped to Korea where the DR Digital company produced rendered foregrounds. This is, esentially, using computers in a dumb mode. All they were used for was saving time (most critical for Ghibli) and tedium. Computers can smooth out the lines and give continuity to the four-color shading process. CGI, as used in other companies' products, model characters in three dimensions and then use the computer to manipulate them. In this mode, the computer itself becomes the artist and renderer of the entire scene. The number of scenes actually using CGI were pretty limited in Spirited Away. The distant house as seen from the train, the decorative screens knocked over by Kaonashi in the chase scene, the flower garden flythough (most annoyingly obvious), and the wall climbing scenes were about all the genuine CGI used.

09.04.2008, 08:22 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
mpw3d
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mpw3d Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol just watched all of Ponya on the cliff in all japanese (no subtitles).

have to say..... The film is fantastic!!, thought i got abit confused in parts though, due to not understanding what they say, but it's a proper clever film.

Never smiled and laugh in a film in quite a while and this is one heart warming film.

Can't wait to have subs for it, so i can watch it properly. This is up in my top favorite films along with nausicaa & mononoke.

www.mpw3d.deviantart.com

09.06.2008, 07:42 AM mpw3d is offline   Profile for mpw3d Add mpw3d to your buddy list Send an Email to mpw3d
Hyuma
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Hyuma Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've watched ponyo at Venice on 31st september and I like very much! I will buy the artbook soon as possible!! At the theathre people do a standing ovation at the end of the movie and I've taken picture of Miyazaki-san too!!! please check my blog (is in italian...) There are some pictures!

h**p://hyuma.splinder.com

Post last edited by Hyuma on 09.06.2008, 09:20 AM.

09.06.2008, 09:18 AM Hyuma is offline   Profile for Hyuma Add Hyuma to your buddy list Homepage of Hyuma
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks