QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Who's Seen Ponyo?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Who's Seen Ponyo? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just love that there is a discussion about the credibility of a 5-year old boy remembering the scientific names of ancient marine wildlife in the same film where a small fish who talks changes into a little girl and can run as fast as a car on giant fish / tsunami. But it's the 5-year old remembering scientific names that is the crazy part, right?!

Even IF you believe Sosuke is some kind freak-child genius capable of holding more knowledge than any child you've ever met in real life, it's a fantasy film where a fish turns into a girl!! So maybe it would be worth extending just a tiny amount of the verisimilitude you afford Ponyo to Sosuke as well?

Alternatively though, if one so chose to I think a reasonable (though far more convoluted) interpretation could be that Ponyo passes on some kind of inherent 'magical' knowledge of the sea and its past as an extension of the magical way in which her healing of Sosuke's cut gives her the ability to change into a human. Ponyo's parents might have passed on such knowledge to Ponyo magically or subconsciously or genetically... or something.

But I still think Soskue living by the sea, wearing a sailor's hat, having a father at sea, a toy boat, demonstrating his intelligence throughout the film, being thought of as a genius by his father are all simpler clues to his ability to have learned some natural history myself.

08.19.2009, 10:24 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Artoo
I just love that there is a discussion about the credibility of a 5-year old boy remembering the scientific names of ancient marine wildlife in the same film where a small fish who talks changes into a little girl and can run as fast as a car on giant fish / tsunami. But it's the 5-year old remembering scientific names that is the crazy part, right?!

Even IF you believe Sosuke is some kind freak-child genius capable of holding more knowledge than any child you've ever met in real life, it's a fantasy film where a fish turns into a girl!! So maybe it would be worth extending just a tiny amount of the verisimilitude you afford Ponyo to Sosuke as well?

Alternatively though, if one so chose to I think a reasonable (though far more convoluted) interpretation could be that Ponyo passes on some kind of inherent 'magical' knowledge of the sea and its past as an extension of the magical way in which her healing of Sosuke's cut gives her the ability to change into a human. Ponyo's parents might have passed on such knowledge to Ponyo magically or subconsciously or genetically... or something.

But I still think Soskue living by the sea, wearing a sailor's hat, having a father at sea, a toy boat, demonstrating his intelligence throughout the film, being thought of as a genius by his father are all simpler clues to his ability to have learned some natural history myself.

Touche. However, Miyazaki's films are like that. All you need to do is suspend belief in one area and take the rest at face value. The hardest thing for me to believe in Spirited Away was the prior connection between Chihiro and Haku.

08.20.2009, 01:40 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Artoo makes a good point. But as it is all fantasy, I think it's easy to believe the crazier aspects of the plot, but still question the smaller details of individual characters.

Like if you had a superhero with ridiculous powers but no motive for fighting crime, you'd find him hard to take seriously because of the lack of motive, not the ridiculous powers.

08.20.2009, 05:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Artoo makes a good point. But as it is all fantasy, I think it's easy to believe the crazier aspects of the plot, but still question the smaller details of individual characters.

Like if you had a superhero with ridiculous powers but no motive for fighting crime, you'd find him hard to take seriously because of the lack of motive, not the ridiculous powers.

Like Hancock Okay fine, I'll bite the fantasy-over-reality argument.

But just to be an ass, I still say the magician and Sousuke combined makes this one of the most complicated (in a bad way) ghibli movie ever made.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.20.2009, 09:01 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think there is any disconnect between not minding fantasy settings while preferring realistic human behaviour within those settings.

On this topic, I don't find it unrealistic that Sosuke would know those scientific names. When I was young I was one of those kids who knew a little too much about dinosaurs, and I've forgotten most of it by now.

08.20.2009, 01:49 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Has anyone seen Millions? Kid's a bit older in that one, but he has an encyclopedic knowledge of saints. It's used really well in the film, it's quite funny.

08.20.2009, 06:44 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
I don't think there is any disconnect between not minding fantasy settings while preferring realistic human behaviour within those settings.

On this topic, I don't find it unrealistic that Sosuke would know those scientific names. When I was young I was one of those kids who knew a little too much about dinosaurs, and I've forgotten most of it by now.

My sentiment exactly. The only reality disconnect I see is the fact that seeing an actual extinct Devonian fish is not the same as seeing a picture of what some scientist thinks such a fish would look like. Heck, one might not even recognize a Trannosaurus Rex in the flesh.

08.20.2009, 11:15 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
Heck, one might not even recognize a Trannosaurus Rex in the flesh.

Well, I do like to think if I saw a giant bipedal lizard with spindly arms coming towards me, I'd be able to make an educated guess.

And run for my life.

08.21.2009, 04:56 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
InkAndPixelClub
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.20.09
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by InkAndPixelClub Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What I liked about the inclusion of the fishes' proper names in the film was that it didn't get dumbed down either for the dub or the original script and that it says something about who these kids are. A lot of what I found appealing about Ponyo and Sosuke was that they had very specific individual personalities rather than just being genric cute kids. (Well, it would be pretty hard for Ponyo to seem generic, but still.)

08.21.2009, 08:46 AM InkAndPixelClub is offline   Profile for InkAndPixelClub Add InkAndPixelClub to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
Heck, one might not even recognize a Trannosaurus Rex in the flesh.

Well, I do like to think if I saw a giant bipedal lizard with spindly arms coming towards me, I'd be able to make an educated guess.

And run for my life.

But what color were they? What was the texture of the skin? Did they accessorize?

08.22.2009, 08:30 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
dballred
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by InkAndPixelClub
What I liked about the inclusion of the fishes' proper names in the film was that it didn't get dumbed down either for the dub or the original script and that it says something about who these kids are. A lot of what I found appealing about Ponyo and Sosuke was that they had very specific individual personalities rather than just being genric cute kids. (Well, it would be pretty hard for Ponyo to seem generic, but still.)

Miyazaki takes that approach in his films. He's very mechanically and scientifically inclined. In the book from which Kiki's Delivery Service came, Tombow was fascinated with flight, but not in the way Miyazaki portrayed him. Tombow was interested in witches' brooms, flying carpets, and (I think I recall) Mercury's winged shoes.

08.22.2009, 08:36 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought the DVD in Shibuya yesterday and watched it.

It was absolutely wonderful. It didn't have the disney dub, which I would have been interested to at least look into. The japanese one was incredibly cute and it was beautiful film.

Definitely up there on my favourite Miyazaki's, though I'll have to watch ti again before I can say if I prefer it to Totoro. It's more inventive and visually impressive I feel.

I jsut found out that my homestay family, which includes a 3 year old boy and a not 2 year old girl havent watched it yet. I think we're gonna watch it in a bit. So I'm interested to see them watch it. I think they'll love it.

08.23.2009, 07:03 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
InkAndPixelClub
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by InkAndPixelClub Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Does anyone happen to know why Sosuke's mother's name is "Lisa" when every other character in the film has what sounds to me like a very Japanese name? I'm told that it's "Risa" in the original Japanese, but that seems like more of pronunciation difference than an actual different name. I figured it wasn't changed for the dub since every other Japanese name is preserved and every Ghinli and Miyazaki site I've seen so far refers to her as "Lisa." So is there any reason that there is one lone character in the film with a more Anglican sounding name?

08.24.2009, 08:44 AM InkAndPixelClub is offline   Profile for InkAndPixelClub Add InkAndPixelClub to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by InkAndPixelClub
Does anyone happen to know why Sosuke's mother's name is "Lisa" when every other character in the film has what sounds to me like a very Japanese name? I'm told that it's "Risa" in the original Japanese, but that seems like more of pronunciation difference than an actual different name. I figured it wasn't changed for the dub since every other Japanese name is preserved and every Ghinli and Miyazaki site I've seen so far refers to her as "Lisa." So is there any reason that there is one lone character in the film with a more Anglican sounding name?

Risa is a perfectly good Japanese girl's name. That, by the way, is the name on the farewell card Chihiro was holding at the beginning of Spirited Away. The Disney dub changed it to "Rumi," probably in deference to Rumi Hiiragi, the original voice of Chihiro. The way Japanese pronounce "Risa" will sound like "Lisa" to the western ear. This is one of those names that comes close to a western name only by coincidence. "Joe Hisaishi," is another name changed to the western spelling because it sounds similar. His name is actually spelled "Jou." Other coincidental names include 'Naomi' and 'Ken.'

08.24.2009, 09:18 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
InkAndPixelClub
Kodama

quote:
Risa is a perfectly good Japanese girl's name. That, by the way, is the name on the farewell card Chihiro was holding at the beginning of Spirited Away. The Disney dub changed it to "Rumi," probably in deference to Rumi Hiiragi, the original voice of Chihiro. The way Japanese pronounce "Risa" will sound like "Lisa" to the western ear. This is one of those names that comes close to a western name only by coincidence. "Joe Hisaishi," is another name changed to the western spelling because it sounds similar. His name is actually spelled "Jou." Other coincidental names include 'Naomi' and 'Ken.'

Ah, so that's it. Thanks for the explanation.

08.25.2009, 08:42 AM InkAndPixelClub is offline   Profile for InkAndPixelClub Add InkAndPixelClub to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

T_T I couldnt wait until February.. Im too impatient, soo.. (Sorry Studio Ghibli) >< I downloaded the Japanese - eng.subs. Version from Limewire.

There I said it. ><.
Anyways, It had the original subtitles (light blue subs - translated by Japanese translator) .. was fun to correct the subtitles at the same time of watching the movie.

And I also thought that this movie was a lot more colourful and bold in its art compared to earlier titles,
I really enjoyed the story. I will definately watch this again on the big screen in February. =3

..Oh and one question.. What WAS Ponyo originally called? I forgot completely.. was'nt it something like
"Polgrathmyics" or something?... ó-0 BAAH!

Post last edited by Dark Totoro on 08.25.2009, 11:54 AM.

08.25.2009, 11:48 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Brunhilde.

And yeah, i have a Japanese friend called Risa / Lisa.

08.27.2009, 05:11 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I saw it (actually last friday) and it was incredible, it's now my new favourite Miyazaki film. Although it's obviously Miyazaki's most child-friendly film to date, I could easily enjoy the amazing storytelling and fantastic imagery displayed on the screen. Old school 2D animation FTW!

The funny thing, though, was that I saw it in the cinema in the original language, without subtitles! Apparently they had recieved the wrong print for the film. We still got to see it all the way through, though, and we got our money back I was therefore a bit lost at times as I don't speak Japanese (could still understand certain phrases and words, though. Lisa's rapid-fire of BAKA BAKA BAKAs with the lamp was priceless), but I enjoyed it tremendously.

08.31.2009, 05:36 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
GhibStuFan
Warawara

Registration Date: 09.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by GhibStuFan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw ponyo last month and it was AMAZING IN THEATRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i totaly thot the old women wer dead at the end. oh I was just smilin and laphing thru the whole movie again i say it was amazing!! defnitly my all time fav ghibli movie. and also am i like the only one who likes disney and that song they play at the end of the movie. tho i have to agree noah's voice was a little anoying. i hope it gets an award like spirited away did.

P.S. IT WAS AAAAAAAMMMMMMMAAAAAAZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=================================================
(\_/)
(O.o)
(^ ^) It's a rabbit.
=================================================

09.06.2009, 07:16 PM GhibStuFan is offline   Profile for GhibStuFan Add GhibStuFan to your buddy list
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw it yesterday in Japanese, and was pleasantly surprised.
It was so meaningful, sweet, and poignant.
5 stars from me, Mr Miyazaki!

09.07.2009, 03:24 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
[  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks