QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli's Movie Poster
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Ghibli's Movie Poster Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
21540 million yen --> 21.54 million yen (21,540,000)
(21.54+250)/.37 => about 65.00 million yen (65,000,000)

Oh sorry for making the very silly mistake. Get too used to the k (thousand) unit and what came to my mind after seeing the value was 21540k. And I forgot to covert the value to be million-based before replacing k with million yen. (^_^;; )

So it is evident that I am a total moron in mathematics and arithmetics.

And Miyazaki's annual income in US$ is 604,933. Really nice. Over $50k a month. (before rolling on the ground and teasing me for messing with maths again, please note that I used the Yahoo conversion calculator this time )

I always thought that Miyazaki must be a super-high-tax-payer, for being the director of the three highest-grossing film in the history of Japan. But it turns out that his tax is only 10% of what the top-payers of the ken paid.

From Mainichi:

順位  名前   住所           所得税 額

(1)落合正美 さいたま市緑区馬場2   2億3 846万円

(2)会田貞光 さいたま市大宮区大成町1 2億2 744万円

(3)須崎勝茂 朝霞市上内間木      1億9 868万円

05.19.2005, 01:56 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.21.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've received some answers about poster in my page... but there's two questions that they don't answer (well actually many... perhaps they forget...)

"If there a poster for a movie does it also means a declaration that the movie is not just gossips?"
"Is there any differences in your perspective if you see the poster before and after watching the movie?"

please comments....

05.22.2005, 12:51 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Neko Danshaku =^^=
"If there a poster for a movie does it also means a declaration that the movie is not just gossips?"

Well, I can see no connection between a movie's depth and its means of promotion. The forms of promotion is determined by the availability of funds and the strategies of the distributor, while the content of a movie is a joint-effort of the staff and the cast.

Experiences tell us that a hollywood billion-dollar production with widespread promotion campaigns of all kinds (posters, TV, merchandise, magazines...) and a modest art film with no promotion at all has equal chances of gaining critical acclaims and awards in the international contests.

quote:
"Is there any differences in your perspective if you see the poster before and after watching the movie?"

Depends. If the poster is the "misleading" type, like the one of Mimisuma, I may expect an epic adventure when I get into the theatre, come out bitterly disappointed, and start cursing the poster.

But generally, for Ghibli movies, the audience already has a basic idea of the story before seeing them in the theatres. So after seeing them, their basic perception of the posters should not have any fundamental changes. But it is possible that they can grasp more details out of the posters.

05.23.2005, 04:21 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Neko Danshaku =^^= Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it should be a simpler question... such as when we know the project that still being gossip between mouth-to-mouth.... and when we saw the poster.. we think "oh.. they're truly making a movie again".. that's all I think... ^^;

This is also a simple question... if we see the poster before we see the movie... we recall the TVCM... but after we saw the movie... will we recall the TVCM again or it's completely replaced by the movie itself.... ^^;

Sorry for not giving a simpler question.... maybe I should make a simpler one....

05.23.2005, 11:23 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
If there a poster for a movie does it also means a declaration that the movie is not just gossips?
ummm...
we have already known the movie from news in the newspaper and the magazine before seeing the poster.
what is the poster? why is it there? i do not understand. because i deviate from the public.
if i must say about it. i have seen the poster, i have swelled the expectation, and i have waited for release.
(and i go to the theater to see trailer when i hear the news that it was released. the ticket selling start, if becoming before one month of the release day. and, the opening day is come.)

quote:
Is there any differences in your perspective if you see the poster before and after watching the movie?
after seeing. when i see the poster, i can recall the scene of the movie.
if I like the movie and the poster. i might put up the poster on the wall of my room.

05.23.2005, 01:27 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Oh I get them now. Seems like I have picked the wrong end of the stick for both questions. Sorry about that.

quote:
I think it should be a simpler question... such as when we know the project that still being gossip between mouth-to-mouth.... and when we saw the poster.. we think "oh.. they're truly making a movie again".. that's all I think...

Hehe I thought that "gossip" referred to the content of the movie itself. (^_^;; )

I think before the first-wave posters are released, there has already been an announcement about the coming film project. So people should be quite aware that the staff has been working hard on something new. Their speculation should not be focused on whether the staff is going to make a movie or not, but on the content of the movie. (like at present we are all aware that there is a new Miyazaki movie project, but are still guessing on what it is going to be about)

The posters can serve to reduce these speculations in the public on the plot of the movie, and confine, or direct them to form an atmosphere of anticipation instead. After all, the posters can give the people a basic idea of the style and the background of the movie. What they are most interested in by that time should be the release date.

quote:
This is also a simple question... if we see the poster before we see the movie... we recall the TVCM... but after we saw the movie... will we recall the TVCM again or it's completely replaced by the movie itself.... ^^;

Eww... I thought you meant whether a theatre-view can change the original impression towards a poster. (^_^;; )

Very much like what you said, before going into the theatre, the posters are reminders of the commercials. After seeing them, they become reminders of the film itself.

05.23.2005, 03:07 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
nanashi
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i found the picture of background of the bird of 1st wave poster.

http://rose-rote.hp.infoseek.co.jp/miya/...ster.htm#yamada

ive not found the picture of 2nd wave poster, yet. this picture might be newly written.

05.26.2005, 12:02 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by nanashi
i found the picture of background of the bird of 1st wave poster.

Wow the comic strip was published back in 1993 on a newspaper. I wonder how you found it? You didn't dig through years of newspaper, did you ? Anyway great finding.

05.26.2005, 05:33 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Hello guys!!
Sorry for not being online these past few days... I have one of my best friend passed away because of cancer.... and it took me some few days to recover my feeling.... it still pain somehow....

Thank you for your answers about poster.. Now I know that my thought is not a big wrong..

And to nanashi... you've did a great job to know the scene taken from Yamada! it's a certainly precious information! Thanks for sharing this great founding...

05.28.2005, 11:17 AM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Hello guys!!
Sorry for not being online these past few days... I have one of my best friend passed away because of cancer.... and it took me some few days to recover my feeling.... it still pain somehow....

I am sorry to hear that your close friend as passed away , and I sincerely wish your friend would rest in peace.

On a lighter note, how is your dissertation on the topic of Ghibli posters? Feel free to seek our help if you need extra comments or other stuff.

And btw I have found the imageboard of the first wave poster/opening scene of Spirited Away:

05.30.2005, 04:58 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sorry to hear that your close friend as passed away , and I sincerely wish your friend would rest in peace. (Jiji)
Yes it's so sudden and I shocked for the whole day.... I often hearing this kind of tragedy.... but this is the first time I actually experience it.... and he was still young (22)

On a lighter note, how is your dissertation on the topic of Ghibli posters? Feel free to seek our help if you need extra comments or other stuff.
39 ^^ My analysis is already finished... but still doing many revision... just in case if there's many things wrong..... I have a plan to make my paper accessible as a homepage... with links to the references.... I think I will make it one by one... it's almost my final deadline so I don't think I can make it in this kind of state now...

And btw I have found the imageboard of the first wave poster/opening scene of Spirited Away: (Jiji)
Wow.. Thanks! I wonder how you can get such a confidential pics.... ?) I wonder too if this from the original storyboard cover for "senchihi"... I once watched it from the NHK news "Breathing your air into pictures".....??? I forgot its exact title.....^^;

05.31.2005, 03:36 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Yes it's so sudden and I shocked for the whole day.... I often hearing this kind of tragedy.... but this is the first time I actually experience it.... and he was still young (22)

It's really a pity for your friend to pass at such a young age. He could have a bright future like many young adults, but destiny deprived him of it...

My mum often freaks me that I will get cancer if I continue to stay up late. Sometimes I wish that she threatens me with other stuff instead. It is truly one of the worst things one can get.

quote:
39 ^^ My analysis is already finished... but still doing many revision... just in case if there's many things wrong..... I have a plan to make my paper accessible as a homepage... with links to the references.... I think I will make it one by one... it's almost my final deadline so I don't think I can make it in this kind of state now...

Good luck with your work. And I look forward to seeing it online.

quote:
Wow.. Thanks! I wonder how you can get such a confidential pics.... ?) I wonder too if this from the original storyboard cover for "senchihi"... I once watched it from the NHK news "Breathing your air into pictures".....??? I forgot its exact title.....^^;

It was from a site that talked about the Miyazaki Moebius exhibition. So it is for certain that the picture was hand-drawn by Miyazaki . I think it is also included in the Spirited Away art book.

About the NHK documentary, is it "Breathing life into drawings," the program that vividly describes the horrible working environment in Studio Ghibli (^_^) ? Nausicaa.net has a page about it, and there is an image that is perhaps what you are talking about.

05.31.2005, 07:22 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

About the NHK documentary, is it "Breathing life into drawings," the program that vividly describes the horrible working environment in Studio Ghibli (^_^) ? Nausicaa.net has a page about it, and there is an image that is perhaps what you are talking about. (Jiji)
Actually... it's exactly what I am talking about
I wonder if the 1st wave poster image came from this illustration....

06.02.2005, 03:52 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Actually... it's exactly what I am talking about
I wonder if the 1st wave poster image came from this illustration....

I suppose the imageboard was created first (during the planning stage), and the cover art of the storyboards (of the production stage) is only a photocopy.

The imageboard and the 1st wave poster looks very similar, so I would safely assume that the poster art was adapted from the illustration.

06.03.2005, 06:48 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Continuing again

Maybe this is a silly question...
but I'm wondering when did the first time Studio Ghibli used poster to their press conference?

Or perhaps.. it is the usual way Anime being promoted in Japan?

To nanashi or Jiji or anybody.... do you know the rate of poster price in Japan?? Is it determined by the material and size only or there's also other thing like scene popularity?

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 06.14.2005, 12:04 PM.

06.13.2005, 01:08 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.02.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know its abit late but im sorry about your friend!!!
I found this: http://www.asylum-anime.com/posterscrolls/ghibli-posters.htm and http://www.applet-j.com/japanese%20movie/anime2/anime20.htm
might be helpful.....lol
Lots and lots of extra love to you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post last edited by LillyKimilly on 06.14.2005, 01:02 PM.

06.14.2005, 12:46 PM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by Neko Danshaku =^^= Maybe this is a silly question...
but I'm wondering when did the first time Studio Ghibli used poster to their press conference?

Or perhaps.. it is the usual way Anime being promoted in Japan?
I suppose there must be poster(s) released for the press conference of every movie, but I am not 100% sure. Maybe I should leave this to Nanashi our resident Ghibli expert .

quote:
do you know the rate of poster price in Japan?? Is it determined by the material and size only or there's also other thing like scene popularity?
I think the majority of the posters are given out as gifts or collectables during the showing of the movies instead of being sold officially. After some time people will bring their posters to the collectable shops, or show them on the auction sites for sale. The market price is determined by the quantity supplied and the quantity demanded. The rarer is the release, the more popular is the movie, or the better is the quality, the higher is the price.

Occcasionally there are some posters sold officially as merchandise, but most people are more interested in the first-prints released during the promotional and showing periods.

quote:
Originally posted by LillyKimilly I found this: http://www.asylum-anime.com/posterscrolls/ghibli-posters.htm and http://www.applet-j.com/japanese%20movie/anime2/anime20.htm
might be helpful.....lol
Lots and lots of extra love to you.

Nice to see that Lily's love has eventually penetrated into this discussion. (ed)

And thank you very much for sharing the links. There are quite a few posters that I have not seen anywhere before.

06.15.2005, 02:07 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
LillyKimilly
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.02.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by LillyKimilly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

glad 2 b helpful *bows* teehee..darned xpensive arnt they??

love and warmness
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

06.15.2005, 11:48 AM LillyKimilly is offline   Profile for LillyKimilly Add LillyKimilly to your buddy list
Neko Danshaku =^^=
Calcifer

Yes they are expensive....

but I wonder if those prices are represents the same price rate in Japan or they already incl. tax etc.etc.etc......

To Lilly... thanks for your concern about my friend... he already there with angels of heaven.... and thanks for the link.. it's useful....
Thank you very much for your loads of love for me..

Post last edited by Neko Danshaku =^^= on 06.15.2005, 01:57 PM.

06.15.2005, 12:51 PM Neko Danshaku =^^= is offline   Profile for Neko Danshaku =^^= Add Neko Danshaku =^^= to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

sorry, i dont remember well.
in the memory in my poor brain. i think that information had come out a little by the Animation magazine(ex. Animage), before the press conference.
but, we see the poster first time, when the album released. or when the ticket is sold.

too expencive...
but they sold rare posters. we have no choice.

06.15.2005, 01:13 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks