QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Oka-san (mother)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Oka-san (mother) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Oka-san (mother)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey could anyone please help me? I just got a studio ghibli cd from a friend of mine and there's one song that's in my head all the time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nku1sZgKtqA . I know that this is from Totoro and that the song isn't sung in the movie, although the music is played when the girls and Father visit Mother at the hospital. I'd like to know what the song is about but my japanese is very ermmm... limited. I understand that it's about Satsuki (or both girls) missing her mother and hoping that she gets well soon. And that it ends with "I love you". Here are the japanese lyrics http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/totoro/ttokasan.htm .Could anyone please translate it to me or tell me more about what it is about, since the song is really important to me.

Post last edited by Heidi80 on 08.18.2011, 06:47 AM.

08.18.2011, 06:45 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd like to have it translated as well. It's a wonderful song. I just wish I knew what was being sung.

I tried Google searching for the English version and I used both Google Translate and Yahoo Babelfish, but nothing worked.

08.18.2011, 11:10 AM  
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll give it a try, but I'm still learning Japanese, so this isn't a very official translation. The grammar in the second and last paragraphs were a little unfamiliar to me so they might even mean the exact opposite of what I have here... ^^||

Mother is waiting, and so
I want to become a rabbit and leap up
Become a songbird and fly into the blue sky
Hurry, I want to meet with her!

To my mother I soar
I want to talk about that time
Just the two of us, I want to listen
It's my wish
A secret that nobody else can say.

My mother is calling
If you listen closely, you can hear her gentle voice
I'm calling out too, "Get well soon!",
I quietly whisper.

With magic fingers, she wove for me
my hair's braided figure
before the mirror, we polished up together
our hair looks the same
and the flowers joyfully sway.

My mother is sad, but
she hides the tears on her face
always with a beautiful smile
I laugh too,
I love my wonderful mother!

Post last edited by Mush on 08.18.2011, 01:26 PM.

08.18.2011, 01:19 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Didn't check the rest, but for the second and last paragraphs:

To my mother I run
I want to talk about that time
Just us two, I want her to hear
Of my wishes
And secrets I cannot tell

Even when sad, my mother
Never shows her crying self
Always beautiful, always smiling
And so I smile too
I love my wonderful mother

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.19.2011, 12:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Omg thank you Mushka and Roarkiller. Thank you so much

08.19.2011, 06:01 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow! Thanks guys!

08.19.2011, 01:34 PM  
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, yeah... That makes a lot more sense

08.19.2011, 02:41 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks