QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - A Miyazaki collaboration...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » A Miyazaki collaboration... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  A Miyazaki collaboration...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll have to look it up, but I just read it Thursday about a movie that took over 10 years to produce and it had a number of collobrators, directors, etc involved in its production. I'll go look it up now and get back to you today...

===========================

Ok, found it...

"Little Nemo in Slumberland"

I will be quoting from Otaku USA....

"What happens when a film production takes over 10 years to reach completion and passes through the desks of incredibily talented creators from japan, the United States and Europe? You get a bizarre little film like "Little nemo in Slumberland", a visually arresting, if slightly dull, film that has a production history far more fascinating than the film itself.

The Japanese-American production began in 1977, the pet project of Japanese producer Yutaka Fujioka, who wouldn't see his film actually released until 1989 (the US release didn't come until 1992). Throughout those 12 years, a string of writers would take a shot at scripting the film, including legendary American sci-fi author Ray Bradbury and the influential French comic Jean "Moebius" Giraud. At varying points throughout the 1980's, the film has some incredibly well respected Japanese directors attached to it including Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and Osamu Dezaki. The fact that none of them stuck around for the final production is perhaps the strongest evidence that something was very wrong. Three different pilot films would be produced before starting the actual production, and the final film would have some notable Disney animators lending a hand with the animation. The films final animation was handled by Tokyo Movie Shinsha, a studio that had just ganied some notoriety for working on a little known film called "Akira"

If Steven Speilberg's Kubrick-inspired catastrophe "A.I." is any indication, a film that takes over a decade to finish might just not be worthwhile, and "Little Nemo" isn't any different. Not that "Little nemo" is a bad film, but there's little in it to make you feel that the long production paid off, never living up to the respectable names involved. The animation is impressively fluid--There's no question that this was made during the Japanese Bubble Era--and it creates its own Eadt-Meets-West visual style that sits on the precipice of looking "American", but not quite. The problem, really, is that it is just boring. Not quite as charming as Toei's older foriegn-inspired films like "Puss in Boots" or "Alibaba and the Forty Theives", and not as competent as contemporary late 1980's Ghibli fare like "My Neighbor Totoro" or "Kiki's Delivery Service".

That Discotek is willing to re-release it is slightly confusing, as it stands in stark contrast to their other releases like "Fist of the North Star" or "Project A-ko, two films that are built upon classic 1980s anime-isms the "Little Nemo" is largely devoid of, not to mention violence and fan-service. Despite this, in a time when a large swath of anime's history is entirely unavailble on DVD in the US, it's difficult to fault Discotek for making some obscure titles available, even if they aren't what would be considered "Classic".

Anime fans looking for a weird peice of animation history or those longing for the days when it wasn't such a rarity to see a proper, well-animated film come out of Japan might be recommended to give it a shot. There are too many other films that do what "Little Nemo" does, but better, to recommend it to anyone on its own merits."

Sean O'mara
Otaku USA

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.27.2011, 08:06 PM.

08.27.2011, 07:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I remember watching Little Nemo when I was very young. It gave me nightmares for weeks, made me afraid of dark basements for years, and bad memories still come up every time I hear the name "Nemo" in any context. I don't think it was a bad movie, but maybe I was a little too young to watch it at the time!

If that kid could just have kept that door closed like he was supposed to... I would have!

08.28.2011, 02:39 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just looked it up on IMDb and noticed that neither Miyazaki nor Takahata were listed in the credits shown.

08.28.2011, 09:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
O-Jay88
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Have you all seen this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbPJmxIQq...feature=related

It's a really thrilling pilot for Little Nemo from 1984, directed by Yoshifumi Kondo. It says it's made by Studio Ghibli, though this was before the company was founded. Still, I bet many of the same people who would eventually join Ghibli worked on it. Read the description under the video.

08.28.2011, 11:42 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched a number of different clips of this, including the one that is mostly black with occasional pics and a female voiceover.

quite interesting. You can see the difference between the Japanese and the American art styles... In the one, you can recognize the Seine in Paris and the Chrysler Bldg in New York that Nemo passes thru a caxcade of water to reach.

In the one Japanese clip, I was reminded of Nausicaa with the light beams...

08.28.2011, 12:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks