QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Quiet Master: Isao Takahata
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » The Quiet Master: Isao Takahata » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.04.12
  The Quiet Master: Isao TakahataPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by parisbrando Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi guys,

Came across this forum and thought you might like to read an article entitled, 'The Quiet Master: Isao Takahata' by one of our writers, Melanie Cheung.

The Quiet Master: Isao Takahata

Hope you like it.

Post last edited by parisbrando on 03.04.2012, 01:39 PM.

03.04.2012, 01:38 PM parisbrando is offline   Profile for parisbrando Add parisbrando to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you for sharing this. I absolutely love Takahata-san's films. They are indescribably intimate and beautiful. I relate so well to all of the wonderful characters he creates, even Taeko.

I have yet to find a single animated film of the same caliber of Takahata's work, in my humble opinion. It is just too perfect.

03.04.2012, 03:38 PM  
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What a fantastically written piece!! I can't wait to see his new work!! It should by any acount be absolutely fabulous!

03.04.2012, 03:38 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  man you know pianoPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

to zacharykrodel

if piano is your hobby then you must know yanni

i really do not know if learning piano is tough or composing because when i see them playing it seems too easy.keep up the good work.try spirited away theme.

main topic

2013-2015 is going to be epic because both miyazaki and takahata are working on their masterpieces. if the stories are good enough then two oscars are coming.if only disney understands that and start the english dubbing in the same time as japanese starts.other wise it can be miyazaki vs takahata in the oscars.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.04.2012, 05:19 PM.

03.04.2012, 05:18 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

parisbrando, thank you for posting such a wonderful piece on Takahata's work. I must give a warning tho of the spoilers in the article about two of the movies mentioned.

And Welcome to the Tavern, we always like to greet newcomers to our little forum. I am proud to say that we are literally represented worldwide by our members.

Again, Welcome...

03.04.2012, 05:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
parisbrando
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by parisbrando Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you for your kind words, we're glad you liked it

03.04.2012, 07:52 PM parisbrando is offline   Profile for parisbrando Add parisbrando to your buddy list
captain george
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.09.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by captain george Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Rightly giving him some of the credit he deserves. Thanks for that

Oh, and welcome to the Tavern, there will be biscuits if you stay around for a while

Post last edited by captain george on 03.04.2012, 08:04 PM.

03.04.2012, 08:04 PM captain george is offline   Profile for captain george Add captain george to your buddy list Send an Email to captain george
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for sharing! I actually like Isao more than Hayao, because of the emotions and characterization he produces in his films.

03.04.2012, 09:52 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
parisbrando
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by parisbrando Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by captain george
Rightly giving him some of the credit he deserves. Thanks for that

Oh, and welcome to the Tavern, there will be biscuits if you stay around for a while

Oh, nice! I don't know much about Ghibli myself, not as much as our writer anyway, but I'm keen to get into it. I've seen the 'big', more recent ones, such as Ponyo, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, as well as My Neighbour Totoro and little bits of Castle in the Sky.

Really interested in the more realistic ones though, such as Only Yesterday and Grave...

03.05.2012, 09:36 AM parisbrando is offline   Profile for parisbrando Add parisbrando to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Do not forget YamadasPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My Neighbor the yamadas is far more better than grave or only yesterday because this movie not just shows the 200% real world but also shows how to overcome it.

But everybody forget about this one. it is better in artistic sense too.
From this movie i learnt that it is not absolutely necessary to draw characters beautifully and realistically, if you can show the expressions of the characters perfectly that is more than enough to make people understand the story. This is the best movie of Isao Takahata.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.05.2012, 01:42 PM.

03.05.2012, 01:31 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by parisbrando
I've seen the 'big', more recent ones, such as Ponyo, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, as well as My Neighbour Totoro and little bits of Castle in the Sky.

Really interested in the more realistic ones though, such as Only Yesterday and Grave...

If you want to know why is studio ghibli ,what massages it wants to give the world then you should see Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa of the valley of the wind.[Both are studio ghibli's ultimate masterpieces and i think you have already seen Grave]

But if you want to see only the realistic ones then animation is not a good place [because the directors have come to animation to make something from their imagination otherwise they could go to live action movies. So myth and science-fiction is common but believe me and watch those two i suggested. I am optimistic that you will say that is some movie]

And welcome to tavern like captain said if you stay you will meet with some people who have beautiful minds.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 03.05.2012, 01:44 PM.

03.05.2012, 01:42 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
My Neighbor the yamadas is far more better than grave or only yesterday because this movie not just shows the 200% real world but also shows how to overcome it.

But everybody forget about this one. it is better in artistic sense too.
From this movie i learnt that it is not absolutely necessary to draw characters beautifully and realistically, if you can show the expressions of the characters perfectly that is more than enough to make people understand the story. This is the best movie of Isao Takahata.

I get what your saying, but I have to disagree with you, I think that 'Only Yesterday' is Takahata's best. Yamadas is good but it just doesn't have the same feel I get when I watch only yesterday!!

03.06.2012, 12:04 PM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks