QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - question
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions question Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  questionPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i've noticed that on some of the Studio Ghibli dvds there is a number at the top of the spine where as on others there isnt could anyone tell me what the numbers mea please and thank you

07.05.2006, 03:55 PM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There wil be someone here who knows exactly what it means...

As far as I know, those silver spines with numbers are a collectors edition... the 'studio ghibli collection' ~ is that what you mean?

I think it might just be a collector's edition release... can anyone correct me, or maybe even say that I was right!? Am I?

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

07.05.2006, 04:30 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can definately help with this one!!
I found this very forum trying to find out about the Collection, and my first ever thread was on this very subject! *stops typing to reminisce*

Basically, all 13 Ghibli were re-released by Optimum Asia as The Studio Ghibli Collection, which have a silver banner on the front at the top, and a silver spine with the numbers 1-13 on them. The numbers relate to nothing more than the order in which the films were re-released. This list of films so far is...

1. Nausicaa
2. The Cat Returns
3. Porco Rosso
4. Pom Poko
5. Kiki's Delivery Service
6. Laputa - Castle In The Sky
7. Howl's Moving Castle
8. Princess Mononoke
9. My Neighbour Totoro
10. Grave Of The Fireflies
11. Whisper OF The Heart
12. My Neighbours The Yamadas
13. Spirited Away

The films have special features not on the old DVD's (apart from Spirited Away and GOTF, they are the same two discs as before), but they range in quality from DVD to DVD. There's a lot of textless openings and closings, but not enough interviews. The trailers are interesting though, it's good to see how Japanese trailers differ from U.K/U.S ones.
There is one weird thing though...I watched Whisper Of The Heart with normal subs, and then with subs for the hard of hearing (accidentally), and they are different, the words they say are translated completely differently!! I have NO idea why though, and now don't know which one is more accurate!! It's very confusing!!

There are also two films that have the banner and the spine in silver, but no number, and they are 'The Little Norse Prince' and 'Castle Of Cagliostro'.

On a personal note, if you find No.10 anywhere, can you please let me know, as I'm having a bit of trouble locating it!! Everywhere just seems to sell the old one!

Hope this helps!!

07.05.2006, 09:02 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen There is one weird thing though...I watched Whisper Of The Heart with normal subs, and then with subs for the hard of hearing (accidentally), and they are different, the words they say are translated completely differently!! I have NO idea why though, and now don't know which one is more accurate!! It's very confusing!!

Quote some here, maybe I can help you.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.05.2006, 10:54 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

Cheers Roarkiller!

OK, this is from the scene at the end where Seiji picks up Shizuku from her house on his bike. As they are leaving the house, this is their conversation according to the normal subs;

Seiji - "I was out there calling you in my head. Sizuku! And then you appeared. What a team!
Shizuku - Me too...it's like I'm still dreaming!

This is exactly the same scene, but with the subs for the hard of hearing;

Seiji - I wanted to see you as soon as I got home, so I stood outside your window hoping you'd look outside and see me. Suddenly, you were standing there, I couldn't believe my eyes! We must be meant for eachother Shizuku!
Shizuku - I still can't believe I'm not dreaming! Who cares...this is a great dream.

Unlikely as it seems, this really is the two dubs of the exact same scene!! You see where my confusion lies!!! The first seems to fit better with the miniscule amount I know about Japanese, but I'd love to know for sure! Also, the hard of hearing subs fit almost exactly with the dubbed audio (thankfully, I only listened to them for this scene to check if they fit, they sound really terrible!)

Ahhhh, I think I've just worked it out! Last time, I saw the hard of hearing subs, it was with the japanese audio, I accidentally switched them on instead of normal subs! The menu option is English audio with subs for hard of hearing, so they probs just copied the dub to make it less confusing! Why should deaf people have to suffer a poor interpretation of the real script though?!

Also, do you know why 'Porco Rosso' is written on the face of the grandfather clock in the 'World Emporium'?

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.06.2006, 10:22 PM.

07.06.2006, 09:18 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Sunchaser
Totoro

Registration Date: 02.22.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sunchaser Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow SpiritedSen, those are really different. On my version of WOTH, the subs for that scene were like this:

Seiji: I came home early because I missed you! I kept on calling you in my head, "Shizuku, come out!" And then you came!

Shizuku: I missed you too. I'ts like I'm dreaming.

Haha, weird huh?

First signature made by kittycatjess. Thank you so much!
Second signature also made by kittycatjess...it's our joint sig!
Third signature made by mpw3d . Thank you!

07.06.2006, 09:26 PM Sunchaser is offline   Profile for Sunchaser Add Sunchaser to your buddy list Send an Email to Sunchaser
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Your first sub was the one included in the R2 DVD. Here's the actual dialogue

聖司: 雫に早く会いたくてさ。何度も心の中で呼んだ んだ。 ”雫!”って。そしたらさあ、本当に雫が顔出 すんだもん。 すごいよ俺達!
Seiji: Shizuku ni hayaku aitakute sa. Nando mo kokoro no naka de yondanda. "Shizuku!" tte. Soshitara saa, hontou ni Shizuku ga kao dasunda mon. Sugoi yo ore-tachi!

雫: 私も会いたかった。 まだ夢みたい
Shizuku: Watashi mo aitakatta. Mada yume mitai.

-----And the direct trans-----

Seiji: I really wanted to see you. I kept calling you again and again so many times in my heart, "Shizuku!" And then you know, You really did show your face. We're really incredible!

Shizuku: I really wanted to see you too. It still feels like a dream.

-----

And so we see mistakes in both translations. The 2nd script for Seiji is more accurate, although for his last line, take from the 1st script. For Shizuku, take from the 1st script, it's perfect.

Although there's no mention of being by the window in the japanese dialogue, it's pretty common for japanese dialogue to leave out details understood. In this case though, the English dialogue would've worked without it too, since it's understandable that since Seiji wanted to see Shizuku, he would've gone to her house and focused on her bedroom window.

And uh... dunno what the World Emporium is (I'm guessing the Earth Shop), but "Porco Rosso" is just there as an in-joke. The way Kiki and Totoro made their appearances in the movie, if you know where they are.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.06.2006, 11:56 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
quote:

Cheers Roarkiller!

OK, this is from the scene at the end where Seiji picks up Shizuku from her house on his bike. As they are leaving the house, this is their conversation according to the normal subs;

Seiji - "I was out there calling you in my head. Sizuku! And then you appeared. What a team!
Shizuku - Me too...it's like I'm still dreaming!

This is exactly the same scene, but with the subs for the hard of hearing;

Seiji - I wanted to see you as soon as I got home, so I stood outside your window hoping you'd look outside and see me. Suddenly, you were standing there, I couldn't believe my eyes! We must be meant for eachother Shizuku!
Shizuku - I still can't believe I'm not dreaming! Who cares...this is a great dream.

Unlikely as it seems, this really is the two dubs of the exact same scene!! You see where my confusion lies!!! The first seems to fit better with the miniscule amount I know about Japanese, but I'd love to know for sure! Also, the hard of hearing subs fit almost exactly with the dubbed audio (thankfully, I only listened to them for this scene to check if they fit, they sound really terrible!)

Ahhhh, I think I've just worked it out! Last time, I saw the hard of hearing subs, it was with the japanese audio, I accidentally switched them on instead of normal subs! The menu option is English audio with subs for hard of hearing, so they probs just copied the dub to make it less confusing! Why should deaf people have to suffer a poor interpretation of the real script though?!

Also, do you know why 'Porco Rosso' is written on the face of the grandfather clock in the 'World Emporium'?

The difference is there because we are dealing with two different dialogs. The straight subtitles are an attempt to translate the original Japanese dialog (Roarkiller's translation is much better, though) and the hearing impaired subtitles are a transcription of the English dialog. Keep in mind that the English dialog is a rewrite, made to conform better with western sensibilities or to make the mouth movements synchronized.

07.07.2006, 01:24 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
And uh... dunno what the World Emporium is (I'm guessing the Earth Shop), but "Porco Rosso" is just there as an in-joke. The way Kiki and Totoro made their appearances in the movie, if you know where they are.

The World Emporium is what the shop's called in the R2 translation. I've only seen the film twice, and I can't say I've noticed Kiki or Totoro...where are they?

BTW, thanks for the translation, really interesting!

07.07.2006, 04:49 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

True, dialogue for the hearing impaired often places emphasis on lip-synchronization.

And I don't think my trans is that much better. Sounds the same, if you ask me. Even my first line is slightly off. It should be "I really wanted to see you as soon as possible", to include the word "hayaku" (fast).

So, any other differences you want to see translated?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.07.2006, 10:35 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
SpiritedSen
Totoro

No that's cool, but thanks anyway Roarkiller!

Could you tell me where Kiki and Totoro are in the movie though?

07.08.2006, 07:20 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Wel, not exactly Kiki, but you'll recognize a with with that design anywhere. As for Totoro, he's with Jiji.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/mimi/faq.html#jokes

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.08.2006, 10:51 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Aaaah, I see!! I had noticed the witch, but the totoro's completely escaped me! Thanks roarkiller!

07.08.2006, 11:05 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
kittycatjess
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i have another quistion,
in the film wisper of the heart ppl are sayin da dubed endin is different to t=da jap endin is this tru n if so wots da dubed endin coz iv sin da jap version n like it so if someone as changed it dey should be shot

07.10.2006, 10:18 AM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
mitcheltjes
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mitcheltjes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen

On a personal note, if you find No.10 anywhere, can you please let me know, as I'm having a bit of trouble locating it!! Everywhere just seems to sell the old one!

I recently ordered this at play.com and actually got the silver banner version,
Hope this helps you out

07.10.2006, 03:35 PM mitcheltjes is offline   Profile for mitcheltjes Add mitcheltjes to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

OMG, thank you SOOOOOOOO much mitcheltjes!! I'm so happy!!
THAAAAANK YOOOOOOU!!
BTW, welcome to the forum!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.10.2006, 05:13 PM.

07.10.2006, 05:12 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
fizzy
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.04.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fizzy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No.10 is Grave of the Fireflies.

No.14 is Only Yesterday.

The Australian release is now available to preorder on Madman Entertainments website:
http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalog...amp;method=view

Note: This is a R4 disc. This is the AUSTRALIAN release so it has the gold banner across the top, not the silver. It also doesn't have the silly numbers

07.11.2006, 05:00 AM fizzy is offline   Profile for fizzy Add fizzy to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by kittycatjess
i have another quistion,
in the film wisper of the heart ppl are sayin da dubed endin is different to t=da jap endin is this tru n if so wots da dubed endin coz iv sin da jap version n like it so if someone as changed it dey should be shot

The dubbed and Japnese versions are different, but that's just because they have to make the dubbing fit in with the mouth movements, so they have to adapt what they're saying. I haven't seen the dubbed one, but as far as I know there aren't any major differences!
BTW, LOOOOVE your avatar! Gur is so cute, I'm such a massive fan of Invader Zim!!

07.11.2006, 08:43 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
kittycatjess
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

tnx 4 da elp, n yer i luv him 2 ini e ace i got the avatar from http://www.avatarity.com/category/123/ ders load of em bt girs da bst.

07.13.2006, 12:36 PM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
kittycatjess
Totoro

one more question lol, do u no abov ur avatar ders little collections of boxes n a small name, wot do dey all mean is it sommat to do with rankin n number of posts or sommat

07.13.2006, 12:42 PM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks