QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - New Castle of Cagliostro DVD
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » New Castle of Cagliostro DVD » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.06
  New Castle of Cagliostro DVDPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Daniel Thomas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Quick heads-up, people. I've got a few new posts about the new Castle of Cagliostro DVD at my Ghibli blog. I didn't expect to write so much or take so long to write them, so I hope you enjoy them.

Oh, I also hope you get a chance to see the movie sometime. Great fun!

09.20.2006, 09:19 AM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Castle of Cagliostro was the second Ghibli film I ever watched (SA was my first) and that made me want to watch MORE!

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

09.20.2006, 09:49 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Daniel Thomas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, a little clarification. Cagliostro is not a Studio Ghibli film. Ghibli was founded in 1985, after Nausicaa's success in the theatres. Nausicaa, of course, has been brought into the fold as the "first" Ghibli movie, since it enabled the studio to be born in the first place. Also, most of the folks at Top Craft simply changed addresses to the new Ghibli studio.

Cagliostro was made with the top-notch talent at the Telecom studio. These are the boys and girls who gave us the later episodes of the second Lupin III series, which culminates in Miyazaki's two episodes; Sherlock Hound, and the Nemo pilot. Again, a lot of the best talent floated along to Ghibli several years later - Tomonage and Kondo, yadda yadda.

Cagliostro was churned out in four months, which is probably a record. It's amazing, considering how sophisticated and thought-out the movie is. It's a perfect example of that legendary Japanese (and Miyazaki) work ethic.

Strangely, Cagliostro wasn't a hit when it was released in 1979, but it grew in stature over the years, and now is widely regarded as an anime masterpiece. Funny how so much of the Miyazaki-Takahata-Otsuka canon was years ahead of its time.

Anyway, I hope that answers a few questions for you.

09.20.2006, 10:30 PM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks