QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What sort of people are we?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What sort of people are we? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  What sort of people are we?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was just idly wondering if those who like Ghibli's films are all of a similar temperament. We've had some discussion here recently about how we get quite emotional when watching Ghibli films - personally I'm terrible and Ghibli endings have me blubbing like a baby sometimes.

Lots of books can have the same effect on me, music less so.

I think of myself as quite thin-skinned by which I mean I can take offence easily, am easily embarrassed or affected by the actions of those about me whether nasty or nice. I'm a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve I guess, just like Donkey in Shreck.

I also am quite sensitive to the 'spirit' of places and can tune in to the atmosphere of buildings like churches or old houses, or places like woodland or lakesides, I tend to 'get' the feel of a place quite easily and this even includes peoples houses, whether they are welcoming or not. Sometimes this is a spiritual thing sometimes it's just a gut thing.

I've been told I'm quite feminine in the way my intuition works.

I think those who don't understand anime and Ghibli in particular may be the opposite - people who have low levels of sensitivity and are not attracted by beautiful things or who don't respect nature and so on.

What about you?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.10.2006, 08:58 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree, I'm a very sensitive person, so blub a lot during sad films XD and I love the animation because it's so beautiful.

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

10.10.2006, 11:07 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
I always try not to cry (but on the insde im crying.. ).
i get offended easily and am the most impatient person I know!! 8well apart from FFF maybe )

@ Saddles: youre femal in more than your intuition hehe

10.10.2006, 05:08 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey saddletank, thanks for descibing me, that fits to a T, ill just throw in a "insert saddletank's post here"

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.10.2006, 07:34 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I tend to cry and laugh when I watch ghiblies or read a
book.
But, then I go crazy when the movies over(even if
I've watched the film 47 times) wondering what in the
world is going to happen to them, the main characters.
Or I drive the people around me insane at laughing
when there is no funny part, they just don't get my
sense of humor.

10.10.2006, 07:40 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To JRReye twitching unnervously) uh, run that past me
again, were you talking about moi?

10.10.2006, 07:42 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think it's a sure sign of addiction to Ghibli when you daydream and 1) wish they'd do a follow up film to storyline X or maybe 2) you are bitter that that's all there is - just one film? Huh? There's tons more you could do with these characters...!

(so you spend the rest of the day thinking up your own storylines)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.10.2006, 07:45 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!!
After i watch Ghiblies, and im in my bed.. I cant sleep
Im always like.. what if? what if? WHAT IF?

yeah fff, that was referring to you!! i said im the most impatient person i know, with exception of you maybe!!

10.11.2006, 03:18 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If any of you have ever read the comic Kare Kano, then you'd recognize my personality to the main male protagonist.

To make it short, I'm philosophical, think too much, hardly talk. I hide my feelings, simply because to me it's too dangerous to display them openly- I tend to overreact to my feelings, so being happy in the wrong place and I might end up in an asylum, and being angry... well let's just say it's better not to see that side of me. Problem is, though, sa silent as I am, I have a VERY short fuse, despite people telling me how surprisingly calm I am. I CANNOT get angry, I lose control too easily.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.11.2006, 06:12 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

YO!!!
Kare Kano - by whom, what about??

10.11.2006, 11:43 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I think it's a sure sign of addiction to Ghibli when you daydream and 1) wish they'd do a follow up film to storyline X or maybe 2) you are bitter that that's all there is - just one film? Huh? There's tons more you could do with these characters...!

(so you spend the rest of the day thinking up your own storylines)

That's me allll the way. I even made up a new Ghibli film where I enter "Ghibli World" through this "magic door" XD and there are characters and themes from all the different films (me, Porco and Teto - whata gang!!)

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

10.11.2006, 01:02 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
I would be best friends with Totoro, San, Porco and Howl!!!!
That is quite cool, I imagine what that would be like!!
it would be pretty cool, if miyazaki, for his definite final work does a studio ghibli short (min 20 mins) with all of his ghibli characters in it!!!
THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!!
(btw, shouldnt this be in General forum?)

10.11.2006, 02:58 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No... I don't reckon I'm a real emotional type. (Not since puberty and all those %$&#$ hormones)

I do often cry whenever I watch some films, though, and "Grave of the Fireflies" is one of them.

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.12.2006, 02:30 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks