QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Best Score
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Best Score » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Best ScorePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Eventhough Joe out did himself in each film, all of them have unbelievable music which lends to the believability if you would believe it.

All in all, Which has the best score and why? i go for princess mononoke, i enjoy the ending song as the perfect walking/reading music, the whole film was gorgeous to listen to. thats my take.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.24.2007, 09:31 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Now you've got me talking...

I would rate Princess Mononoke as the best as in most appealing and fitting, though I think they are all good. Although the Mononoke score isn't too complex, it does a great job of blending some of the more traditional western orchestration with a Japanese flavour. Sometimes the simplicity also adds to the piece, for instance, the minimalist vocal song over the end credits is haunting in part due to the simplicity of the composition.

The themes are also really good - Aishitaka's theme is heroic and noble, San's theme has a bittersweet quality to it....

But any fan of the Mononoke soundtrack should get the re-recorded orchestra version, because the soundtrack version has some blips when you listen out of the film, for instance occasionally you can hear the Tokyo orchestra (I think?) shuffling their feet noisily...

However, as much as I like Hishashi, I think the composer for Whisper of the Heart had a bit more originality I think, for example in the opening "Windy Town", it is a treat to hear his colorful orchestration and structure.

Post last edited by Theowne on 07.25.2007, 02:15 PM.

07.25.2007, 12:02 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah either spirited, mononoke and totoro for me

07.25.2007, 12:14 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

all the music is good in all the films

Joe Hisashi is a legend!!!

ive already covered this subject on a tread that i created on him but heyy.

i think the best is Spirited Away - it reduces me to tears lol

closly followed by Princess Mononoke

then ones like Laputa, Nausicaa and (although not a ghibli but a pre-ghibli) The Castle of Cagliostro

and many more

07.25.2007, 05:44 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Laputa EASILY. By a MILE! I hardly even hear the music in the other films...

(except for Whisper but that wasn't Joe. Hm, are we just talking Haisashi's music here?)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.25.2007, 03:44 PM.

07.25.2007, 03:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nah ghibli scores in general, i thought Joe did most of them, so i just used him cause i was lazy and didnt want to research anything.

i cant even remember Laputa theme, it must have not impressed me that much. i still have to go with mononoke.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.25.2007, 04:37 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Imperfection
Calcifer

Registration Date: 07.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Imperfection Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd say Mononoke aswell, I'm a big fan of any orchestral music.

07.25.2007, 07:24 PM Imperfection is offline   Profile for Imperfection Add Imperfection to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah laputa is good but all the music perfectly fit's each film
so it's acually difficult to say

07.25.2007, 08:35 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mononoke Hime. The main theme aside, the rest of the tracks were almost equally strong, with great impressions of the scenes they appeared in, effectively capturing a solemn and noble mood.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.25.2007, 11:51 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kiki's soundtrack is very romantic with it's French style!

But IMHO Spirited Away is the best, due to its wide variety of musical themes which fit with the emotion of the scenes perfectly.

07.26.2007, 09:28 AM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm not sure i REALLY enjoyed Nausicaa's actually, and mononoke ;]

Thing is whenever i think of spirited aways music i always see this AMV in my head which goes along to the tune of 'With you' by Avril Lavigne, and its not particulary the song but the quality of the AMV that always makes me think of it when i think of Spirited Away. so in my mind, Spirited's soundtrack consists of one, rather poofy, song.

07.26.2007, 11:32 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm a person who isn't very musically minded. I never go foaming mad over certain bands or artists for example (unless they are also great storytellers). If I listen to music its the words I hear and I think of songs as stories set to music. If there isn't a good lyric I usually lose interest.

I'm more graphically oriented. I often like some anime that gets crap ratings from the critics (like Sky Blue for example) simply because its gorgeous to look at and I'll happily watch it again and again.

So, images I like, music I don't

So I often simply don't hear music at all in movies or series. The only time I tend to hear it is the opening and end themes.

But Laputas opening theme is accompanied by that lovely sequence of the history of flight and the flying people and me being a steampunk fan, and into H G Wells and Jules Verne et al, I was very interested in those Victorian style flying machines. And then I noticed this amazing music in the background.

And fell in love with it.

Now I can watch Princess Mononoke from start to finish and Spirited Away and not even hear a single note of the music. Weird, huh? Which is why not only don't I rate the music to those movies but I couldn't honestly even tell you what it sounds like.

I realise I must have a broken connection in my brain somewhere as regards music in such situations, so don't ever listen to me when I talk about it, my opinion is not reliable.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.26.2007, 01:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Alighieri
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Alighieri Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love this subject!
I agree that Mononke probably has the most versitile score but there is something to be said for the music in Howl's Moving Castle. It isn't as complex as the Mononoke music but I think it's just as good because it improves the film. When the music actually gives the movie personality you know you've got a good one.

07.26.2007, 02:52 PM Alighieri is offline   Profile for Alighieri Add Alighieri to your buddy list
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Laputa. No question.

07.26.2007, 07:56 PM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
Moroko
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Moroko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like Laputa's music the best too.

quote:
Once you accept that all the matter in the universe can be compressed to the size of a push pin, it isn't hard to wear stripes with plad.
Albert Einstine

A distraction

07.27.2007, 02:18 AM Moroko is offline   Profile for Moroko Add Moroko to your buddy list
OnYourMark
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd say Mononoke Hime. best score.
even outside Ghibli, mononoke is one of the best scores.

even the evil demon songs are nice to listen to, which i find rare in soundtracks.

laputa's OST was good, but nowhere near mononoke's.

in fact, today i just listened the mononoke OST while finishing reading Lord of the Flies. it fits the book's content amazingly well.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

Post last edited by OnYourMark on 07.27.2007, 05:19 AM.

07.27.2007, 05:17 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been listening to "Oka No Machi" from the Whisper score again, and I have to say that if the composer had more opportunity and material in this movie, this would probably be my favorite score. Unfortunately, Yuuji Nomi hasn't even had much opportunity to compose for other stuff, which is a real shame because he has the talent.

07.27.2007, 11:01 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think all Joe Hisaishi's Ghibli soundtracks are great, but my vote would have to go to My Neighbour Totoro. Perhaps I'm biased because it's my favourite Ghibli film, but then it's part of why it is my favourite Ghibli film.

I should say I don't particularly care for the opening song (the stroll), but I think the actual score is wonderful, with memorable themes and strong emotional inter-relationship with the narrative, such as:

-When Mei goes missing it really tugs at the heartstrings.
-The sheer comedy of the little burst we get when the sootsprites are considering their departure).
-The scaling notes as the tree bursts from the ground at night.
-Mei falls asleep on Totoro and the camera pulls back/up and the orchestra comes in and swells, a musical nod to the cave-like dwelling.
-The Cat-Bus' jazzy theme, just a perfect of silly and sensible, with a real sense of movement.

I do love all Hisaishi's Ghibli soundtracks, but Totoro' is my favourite. Not only does it support the film fantastically well, it has such a high number of memorable themes for the (comparatively short) running time.

Post last edited by Artoo on 07.27.2007, 11:29 AM.

07.27.2007, 11:27 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

While all of Hisaishi's music is great, I'd say Porco Rosso is my favorite score. The Italian influence sets it apart from his other scores, and every single song is memorable. Some highlights are--

--The music that accompanies Gina's flashback.

--The cabaret song Gina sings.

--The haunting and romantic main theme.

--The rousing music that accompanies the opening and closing dogfights.

--The music during the take-off from the canal.

07.30.2007, 09:55 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd say "On Your Mark", but I don't know if it qualifies, because it's a music video.

Second to that, probably Laputa. I'm even teaching myself how to play it!

07.30.2007, 10:43 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks