QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Questionnaire about Studio Ghibli Films
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Questionnaire about Studio Ghibli Films » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Claire_B
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.05.07
  Questionnaire about Studio Ghibli FilmsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Claire_B Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

my name is Claire, and i'm studying 4 Studio Ghibli films (Princess Mononoke, Spirited away, Nausicaa:valley of the wind and Laputa:castle in the sky) for a media studies project. if you could spare 5 minutes to answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

1. what country are you from?

2. how old are you?

3. are you male or female?

4. do you enjoy watching Studio Ghibli films?

5. which is your favorite Studio Ghibli film? and why?

6. how old were you when you first watched a Studio Ghibli film?

7. which aspects of the films do you enjoy the most? (eg. the fantasy, the representation of gender, the action, the dialogue, etc)

thankyou for your time.

Claire.

10.05.2007, 05:38 AM Claire_B is offline   Profile for Claire_B Add Claire_B to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1.australia
3female
4.duh,im obsessed
5.tales from earthsea,becuase the imagery is fantastic,the story is important to us
7.i love how there is a lesson secretly being learned,you dont even realise your learning it.and i love how beleivable the characters are

your welcome!anime rules!

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

10.05.2007, 06:25 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

uh,i forgot 6.
6.i was about 12 or 13

10.05.2007, 06:26 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
harmony-of-mar
Baron

i mean,8 or 9.i forgot i watched spirited away first,before howl.

10.05.2007, 06:27 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

United Kingdom

2. how old are you?

Middle-aged (you should have given a series of age range groups to choose from).

Male

Yes (seems an odd question to ask on a Studio Ghibli forum and I don’t think it has much value in your project)

Whisper of the Heart because it is a simple tale, realistically told and depicted of the struggles of teen youth in modern suburban Japan. The characters are realistically portrayed with faults and blemishes, the dialogue is believable, it shows ordinary family life and the stresses kids face from parental expectations, it also shows a girl who sees and grasps her own potential in life, both her artistic potential and her emotional potential. It also has a delightful love story in it that takes me back to my own youth *sighs*.

Middle Aged – 2.5 years ago. But only started watching them seriously 1.5 years ago.

7. which aspects of the films do you enjoy the most? (eg. the fantasy, the representation of gender, the action, the dialogue, etc)

The love stories. I’m a total sucker for a good love story. I also enjoy the delightful attention to detail in the settings and the scenery, the skies and the landscapes. They feel real. I also enjoy movies that depict strong female characters, Ghibli does this well in many of their movies and I’m all in favour of promoting the female as a strong resourceful stereotype. All four of your chosen movies have strong female characters – Kiki’s delivery Service and Whisper of the Heart have them too.

10.05.2007, 06:50 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. What country are you from?

Spain.

2. How old are you?

3. M or F?

Male

4. Do you enjoy watching Ghiblies?

Theres nothing like getting your hands on a new ghibli and watching it for the first time. And Ive only got 4 of those moments left.
(Pom Poko, Yamadas, Ocean Waves, Earthsea).

5. Favourite film?

Whisper of the Heart. Although it has a very cheesy title (the japanese title is so much more neautiful) it is a very simple and warm movie. Although it feels uncomplicated new things open up with every viewing. Totoro is the only other film that makes me feel as I do after watching that movie..

6. How old at first viewing?

12 or 13

7. why do you like em?

The quality of everyhting. Artwork, story, detail, dialogue....
they are beautifully made.

10.05.2007, 09:42 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Scotland, UK

2. how old are you?

Male

Absolutely. Few things excite me more.

Whisper of the Heart. The storyline is not complicated, and the characters are very believable. It's nice to see an imaginative lead character, as this quality is generally hard to show through film. It gives me an undescribable feeling that nothing else does, and is ultimately moving and beautiful.

11, maybe. I'm not certain.

A particular atmosphere that is often so lacking in anime. The characters, while very innocent, are strong and evocative, giving Ghibli films a feeling of beauty without being childish.

Post last edited by arren18 on 10.05.2007, 11:16 AM.

10.05.2007, 11:16 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow 3-1 to Whisper so far! Claire, better include it in your project!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.05.2007, 12:25 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Canada eh?
2. how old are you?
male
obviously
Princess Mononoke, best anime film ever, it combines all the aspects that make a fantasy film successful and executes to an amazingly high level.
its either kiki's at like 10, but that doesn't count, it was probably Spirited Away at 15
Animation, it is old school done in a new school way.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.05.2007, 12:37 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Short answers from me,

Canada.

2. how old are you?

Male

Yes, of course. This is a Ghibli forum, after all.

Whisper of the Heart, because I just feel like it's a well-made and likeable story. The story itself has no action scenes or dramatic plot twists, it simply tells the drama of life and that in itself is beautiful.

Out of that list, I would probably say the dialogue, generally, I simply like the elegance and subtle emotion of it all.

10.05.2007, 04:32 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
..Ayami..
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ..Ayami.. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

England

2. how old are you?

Female

Duh

Whisper of the heart. I like it for all the reasons that everyone else likes it, it's just a lovely, simple and sweet love story.

11, just before I turned 12 (I think, my memory isnt that good)

The romance and the comedy

10.05.2007, 04:51 PM ..Ayami.. is offline   Profile for ..Ayami.. Add ..Ayami.. to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. what country are you from? -- Scotland

2. how old are you? -- 14

3. are you male or female? -- Female

4. do you enjoy watching Studio Ghibli films? -- Very much. The question is hardly necessary.

5. which is your favorite Studio Ghibli film? and why? -- I hoped to put something different from everyone else but... it's Whisper of the Heart. The story is realistic and very sweet.

6. how old were you when you first watched a Studio Ghibli film? -- 13

7. which aspects of the films do you enjoy the most? (eg. the fantasy, the representation of gender, the action, the dialogue, etc) -- I like the drama and the romance. Howl's Moving Castle is sort of second-favourite for this reason, as is Princess Mononoke. And it's for those same reasons that I don't favour Nausicaa or Totoro.

10.05.2007, 04:56 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Canada

2. how old are you?

Female

Oh so much.

Another one for Whisper of the Heart. It's such a beautiful movie simply because the character are as real and believable as the cirmcumstances they face. That and the art work, like all Ghiblies...so pretty.

A long time ago. I can't remember now...maybe 7 or 8 years old?

The fantasy blended in with the realism. Nothing beats that.

10.05.2007, 05:51 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Claire_B

The U.S., originally.
quote:
2. how old are you?

I would prefer not to answer.
quote:

Male.
quote:

Um . . . Yes?
quote:

Porco Rosso, for too many reasons than I can relate in a succint sentence (I tried). Suffice to say that it is not only perfectly-crafted, but appeals to me on a deeply personal level.
quote:

Seven--I think.
quote:

More than anything else, I love the atmosphere of nostalgia that pervades so many Ghibli films. That is something that you simply cannot get anywhere else in the film industry.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 10.05.2007, 06:26 PM.

10.05.2007, 06:24 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Amori
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.24.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Amori Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

United States

2. how old are you?

female

of course!

Whisper of the Heart...the first time I saw it, I actually kind of hated it and thought it was kind of a little-kid movie, but after watching it a few more times, I completely changed my mind and now it's my favorite. It's just so adorable and I can relate to a lot of it.

I think I first saw Kiki when I was 16 or so

Hmm, I'd say the plot, the characters, and the artistic style.

Hope that helps!

10.05.2007, 07:47 PM Amori is offline   Profile for Amori Add Amori to your buddy list Send an Email to Amori Homepage of Amori AIM Screenname: Chelzaya
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello Claire,

Canada.

2. how old are you?

Female

Yes. Yes! Of course I do.

Whisper of the Heart, for its intricately detailed and beautiful portrait of real life. But I'll cooperate, and say that of the four you listed, probably Nausicaa is my favourite. I love its Gaean philosophy and sense of adventure.

Hmmm... Hard to remember. I know the first one I saw was Kiki's Delivery Service, and I was probably around twelve. Give or take a couple of years.

I definitely appreciate the strong female leads and the action, but probably they aren't what I enjoy the most. I think I have to say it's the emotional connection that the films make with me. I know that's vague, because the connection could be a result of any of a number of factors (including the ones you mentioned). But different Ghibli films achieve it in different ways, so I suppose I appreciate them all for different reasons. This one underscores them all.

Post last edited by Mush on 10.05.2007, 08:16 PM.

10.05.2007, 08:15 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Pink
Calcifer

Registration Date: 09.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pink Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Australia

2. how old are you?

Male

Ofcourse

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, because this movie is very sentimentel to me, as it was the first Ghibli film i ever saw, and was about 7 when i did. Also, it is just a magnificent film.

I was about 7 years of age when i watched my first Ghibli film.

I love the dialogue and the way the characters are composed. It seems that every character that is created by Miyazaki in particular has great depth, and adds something to the storyline of the film. Also, the way the characters interact is wonderful. I honestly dont think there is an aspect of Ghibli films that i dont enjoy.

P1nk777@Deviant

10.06.2007, 02:30 AM Pink is offline   Profile for Pink Add Pink to your buddy list Send an Email to Pink Homepage of Pink AIM Screenname: P1nk777
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Singapore

2. how old are you?

Male

Obvious.

Whisper of the Heart. Blame me and Saddle for brainwashing the people here, but it has one of the simplest and most heartwarming storylines amongst all ghibli movies. And since it's not fantasy, it's something a lot of people can relate to.

In summary, the simplicity was what drew me to it.

Of your your choices though, personally I find that Laputa is the best ghibli film statistically, followed closely by Spirited Away.

Two months prior to my 17th birthday, when Spirited Away was shown in Singapore in 2001.

What the majority of the ghibli movies have is a strong storyline and sufficient character develoment. But what struck me as the best factor in ghibli movies were its realism and attention to detail. For example, in one scene, Kiki was seen slipping on a dead leaf as she ran out of the mansion. Save Production IG, I haven't see any other animation company pay attention to these kind of real-life details.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.06.2007, 02:47 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

USA.

2. how old are you?
Teen-aged.

M

Yes =P

Princess Mononoke, because of its strong storyline (which contains truths which can be applied to real life, though being a fantastical stroy), beautiful art, and (most of all) musical score.

Mononoke, when i was in upper grade school.

7. which aspects of the films do you enjoy the most?
Storyline (which may include Japanese culture), and Joe Hisaishi's musical scores.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

10.06.2007, 03:32 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Australia

2. how old are you?

male

You could almost say i enjoy them more than all other films.

It is incredibly hard to pick, especially considering i go through stages, however i think i may have to choose Sprited Away simply because it is one the very best anime films ever and has the decorations to prove it. It is also the first ghibli i saw and has spectacular artwork/imagery, and a highly original storyline.

At first the fantasy and amazing storytelling, but more recently it is often the insight into the japanese culture and language that is the most entertaining.
I also enjoy the briliance and high quality of the artwork and the process behind creating it.

10.07.2007, 06:49 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks