QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What got you into Ghibli?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » What got you into Ghibli? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  What got you into Ghibli?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi, just wondering which was the Ghibli film you first saw that got you interested in the studio?

For me, it was Mononoke. I was a bit wary of watching it at first, because i didn't think anime would be my thing, but i was amazed by it! It was so different to what i expected!

The day afterwards i watched Totoro and it just clicked, and ive been obssesed ever since!

Clicky

10.15.2008, 11:56 AM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Shawn
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by turniphead1
Hi, just wondering which was the Ghibli film you first saw that got you interested in the studio?

For me, it was Mononoke. I was a bit wary of watching it at first, because i didn't think anime would be my thing, but i was amazed by it! It was so different to what i expected!

The day afterwards i watched Totoro and it just clicked, and ive been obssesed ever since!

Hey! Same happened to me!
Only, I didn't like Totoro.
Instead I watched Nausicaa.

10.15.2008, 12:17 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
turniphead1
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You don't like totoro?? (pause as waves of shock crash over me!)
He he, but Nausicaa is brilliant i spose!

Clicky

10.15.2008, 12:21 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
kitsunejr
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.20.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kitsunejr Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched Sprited Away first i like it loads its still my fav then i got Princess Mononoke then Kiks now i have download a Ghibli collection xD (watching all dub first)

Post last edited by kitsunejr on 10.15.2008, 03:50 PM.

10.15.2008, 03:50 PM kitsunejr is offline   Profile for kitsunejr Add kitsunejr to your buddy list
Shawn
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
You don't like totoro?? (pause as waves of shock crash over me!)
He he, but Nausicaa is brilliant i spose!

Yeah. I only like movies when children are not main characters and have chibbi qualities.
-And have alot of blood and fighting.

Post last edited by Shawn on 10.16.2008, 10:29 AM.

10.16.2008, 10:29 AM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Children rule, dude! Don't dis 'em, they'll end up killing you. O_O *glances sideways, she's been reading too much XD Most of the lead male characters are sadistic 13-14 year olds*

Watched Kiki when I was 4 and found Laputa and Spirited Away when I was 9. I watched Mononoke when I was 7 and that may have been a start to my love of psychopaths. XD My cousin told me of Howl a few years ago so I went and bough that for my birthday and ended up buying the rest of the films a year later.

10.16.2008, 05:18 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
writer.blocked
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.16.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by writer.blocked Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, that's hard! Ummm....

I think it was Kiki's Flying Delivery Service for me. Well, sort of. I never knew it was Ghibli until I took the time to look up a different Ghibli film.

What got me obsessed with Ghibli is the Cat Returns, which I got in the mail... two? maybe three weeks ago? I loved it WAY too much. I'm already developing three fanfiction ideas for it. One is featured in the signature below. Yeah, I know, shameless plugging. XD

And I'm totally in love with Cary Elwes now, specifically because he did Baron's voice. [melts in a puddle of goo] Just hearing the one line, "Excuse me, would you... care to dance?"

UWAHH!! O///O

Ahem. Anyhow, either of those two are what you could say "got me interested". Oh, and Howl's Moving Castle. I am INSANE about Dianna Wynne Jones.

Muta stiffened slightly when he saw the figure slumped in the window seat. He padded up to her and took a good look at her face. His worries were eased when he saw that her face was peaceful and relaxed, rather than blank and slack.

She hadn't passed out.

Muta jumped up next to her and noticed the book balanced in her lap. He squinted to focus his eyes (fine details were never easy for a cat to see), and let out a surprised chuckle when he finally made out the title.

If there had ever been a perfect tale for the dozing Haru, this was it.

Sleeping Beauty.

Post last edited by writer.blocked on 10.17.2008, 12:03 AM.

10.17.2008, 12:02 AM writer.blocked is offline   Profile for writer.blocked Add writer.blocked to your buddy list Send an Email to writer.blocked Homepage of writer.blocked
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, my Mum randomly bought Howl's Moving Castle for my Dad's birthday, must've been two years ago now... wow. Well, anyway, we really liked that and there was a little Studio Ghibli catalogue thing in the DVD case and I liked the look of Princess Mononoke so we bought that, liked that too. Then I found this place and heard about the others, and it kind of went from there. We now own ten Ghibli films.

My Anime List

10.17.2008, 05:38 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by writer.blocked
And I'm totally in love with Cary Elwes now, specifically because he did Baron's voice.
And I thought I was the only one.

I started with Kiki, I think when I was really little... before I even knew what anime was. That probably influenced me a lot. But it was a long time before I saw another one... I think the next was Spirited Away, which I rented around the time it came out. By then Kiki was something of a vague memory; I had no idea at the time that it was the same director and studio. But there was something really familiar about it.

Once I discovered the connection, I was hooked

10.18.2008, 01:50 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm... When i was little, in elementary school the teachers let us watch Castle in the Sky, because they thought cartoon=kids movie. And, my little sister, who got out of elementary school much more recently than I, said they also let them watch Kiki's Delivery Service. I didnt remember ever watching it before, though... Anyways! When Spirited Away came out, I remember really wanting to see it but not being able to... Then in 8th grade our school anime club watched Howls Moving Castle as an end-of-the-year treat, and I was immediately hooked. I was plesantly suprised to find that Castle in the Sky was a Ghibli film, and i guess I did see Kiki's Delivery Service at some point, because as soon as I saw it again, i was like, wow, i've seen this before! But then again i get the same feeling whenever i watch a ghibli film. Some strange sense of nostalgia...
Anyways, I'm totally hooked on ghibli films now. And i've seen every single one of them!! Except for tales of earthsea....

10.26.2008, 12:07 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
turniphead1
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm... sounds like kiki has influenced the most number of people - and i dont blame you ! I really wanna watch it now but my sister has taken it to uni with her

@ animekittynya- if the negative reviews have put you off tales from earthsea; id still watch it- i know the characters are a bit undeveloped but the animation is stunning!

Clicky

10.26.2008, 07:50 PM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can't really say for sure what got me interested in Ghibli... I've always liked animated films like the Pixar ones, etc and I know that I saw Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Kiki on TV. I didn't realize that they were all by the same studio until much later. I got some others from the local rental store and one thing just lead to another and here I am... The Old guy mixed in with a bunch a kids, lol well, seems like it anyway from the viewpoint of my vast years... (whine)

I now have Totoro and a Kodama tattooed on my arms and it fascinates me when ppl recognize them

hahaha, later...

10.27.2008, 02:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
light strafe
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.27.08
what got me into studio ghibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by light strafe Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well when i was a little kid my grandmaw bought me the movie my neighbor totoro... and i fell inlove with it...
but i like all the others...
princess mononoke...
spirited away...
howls moving castle...
grave of the fireflies...
and nausica valley of the wind...

and these are a few that arent ghibli but are pretty good

steamboy
metropolis
castle in the sky
appleseed

10.27.2008, 03:27 AM light strafe is offline   Profile for light strafe Add light strafe to your buddy list
turniphead1
Totoro

Husky - you have ghibli tatoos!! wow! 8]

Light Strafe - Erm i think castle in the sky is ghibli? But yay a vote for totoro!!

Clicky

10.27.2008, 07:13 AM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Dark Totoro
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dark Totoro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Konnichiwa!

Hmm....

The very first Ghibli film i saw was Princess Mononoke, it was on Film4... and i sat quietly all the way through - because i felt like i was part of the movie, it is such beautifull movie and i felt everything from when mononoke was under attack to the apes saying about the humans destroying the world to the forest spirit and the kodamas showed themselves and of course when mother (the wolf) dying and then the forest spirit getting decapitated for the prized head trophy.

I almost cried as i met my ever lasting true love - ghibli!
THEN more ghibli films came on Film4!
Laputa:Castle in the sky!
My neighbour Totoro!
KIKI!!!
Spirited away!
Cat returns!
.. and thats it! they stopped viewing them

so my lil sister bought me a dvd for my birthday (just ther) Tales from Earthsea!

now i wanna catch'em all!

P.s

I think the movies makes you see how corrupt our world is! how man is destroying it!

I think Miyazaki is putting across the message to children and open minded intellectuals like ourselves that the world is under attack! and the future generations should revert back to the simple way of life to preserve and love the world and its spirits..

Or he could be just making anime for the cash!

10.27.2008, 08:27 AM Dark Totoro is offline   Profile for Dark Totoro Add Dark Totoro to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What I like about the Ghibli films is that for the most part, to me anyway, it reminds me of when I was in Japan in the mid 60's. I was homeported in Yokosuka and when In Japan I would get on a train and just reavel until I didn't know where I was... No problem at the time, I knew enough Japanese to find my way home. I'd usually end up in some small village or town and just wander around. I would usually find myself in a restaurant or bar and end up chatting with the Japanese ppl around me. I had a ball!!! It is so funny trying to speak to someone in another language when You don't know much of it and their grasp of your language is just as limited...

I think that I had more fun doing that and visiting my friend Mitio at his family's rice farm about 25 klicks outside of Tokyo.

That is why I can relate to the bathtub scene's in 'Totoro'. Their bathtub was almost identical...

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it... lol

I got my first tattoo in Hawaii in 2003 along with my two sons. On the left shoulder is"Tiger Cruise
Nov '03" From when we sailed from Hawaii 5 days to San Diego on the Carrier nimitz. Quite an experience for an old salt from a little 245 foot ship... lol

My sn did the Ghibli tattoos in 2005-06...

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.27.2008, 06:32 PM.

10.27.2008, 06:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Hmm... sounds like kiki has influenced the most number of people - and i dont blame you ! I really wanna watch it now but my sister has taken it to uni with her

@ animekittynya- if the negative reviews have put you off tales from earthsea; id still watch it- i know the characters are a bit undeveloped but the animation is stunning!

Ah, it's not that. I just havent had the time to sit down and watch it all the way through. With homework and everything, I havent had a lot of time to watch much anime lately. Or television in general, for that matter. ^^;

10.27.2008, 10:03 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
turniphead1
Totoro

@ DT: Yay i remember when they showed Ghiblis on film four!! Why did they have to stop??!! . I remember watching kiki for the first time on there, and i nearly cried with happiness when she saved tombo at the end

@ Husky: Wow! i really wanna have an adventure like that! Thats the plan after uni - just going backpacking around the world for a year p.s. does 'Homeported' mean you were in the navy? - im not quite sure what it means...

Clicky

10.28.2008, 08:00 AM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
BookWorm
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.01.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BookWorm Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My friend Ben use to draw Ghibli creatures on his notes when he was bored...so I finally agreed to watch Spirited Away with him. I have been hooked since.

11.01.2008, 11:10 PM BookWorm is offline   Profile for BookWorm Add BookWorm to your buddy list Send an Email to BookWorm
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Mine was a disconnected set of viewings that came together when I found out Studio Ghibli was behind all of them.

The first Ghibli film I saw was Grave of the Fireflies in the early nineties. It was a rental at Blockbuster Video. It was very powerful, shaking me to my foundation for quite some time. However, I didn't know it was a Ghibli film.

The next Ghibli film was Tonari no Totoro, which I watched in Japanese while stuck in my hotel room in Tokyo in the late nineties. I almost turned to another station, seeing the opening theme song and setting off my "Barnie" alarm. I watched for a few minutes and became hooked on the story. Again, I didn't know the Ghibli connection.

Finally, in 2001, I saw the NTV special that came out before Spirited Away was released in theaters. It was only then that I realized Ghibli was a world apart and above the rest of Japan's animation. Unfortunately, I missed the film's release because I flew home on that day. Ever since then, I couldn't get enough Ghibli.

11.15.2008, 12:26 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks