QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The pronounciation of "Ghibli"
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » The pronounciation of "Ghibli" » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
sir poulet
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.18.02
  The pronounciation of "Ghibli"Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sir poulet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is it... "Gih-bu-lee" or "Jee-bu-lee"? I've heard it countless times as Gibli but my Japanese friend swears it is Jibli. I'm thinking it is jibli <-- best smiley ever

Post last edited by sir poulet on 05.18.2002, 07:36 PM.

05.18.2002, 07:36 PM sir poulet is offline   Profile for sir poulet Add sir poulet to your buddy list Send an Email to sir poulet
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah it pronounces like 'jibli' ..... craaaaazy japanese

05.18.2002, 09:17 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
enriko
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.09.02
ghibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by enriko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually Studio Ghibli is now trying to change the widespread abit of pronuncing the word as "jibli" ... which is indeed used in Japan but it's incorrect.
In the latest trailer for the Ghiblies shorts (after the trailer for "the cat returns" they are pointing out that the right pronunciation is "Gheebli" (this is my best approximation in english) ...
The word Ghibli is italian , it's the name of a wind that blows in the mediterranean area , it comes from the desert ...
boy do I sound like a nowitall ...
gomen !

E

visit!
enricocasarosa.com

06.09.2002, 12:18 AM enriko is offline   Profile for enriko Add enriko to your buddy list Send an Email to enriko
UO
(/`A')/

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

haha... i just noticed too, they stretched the E sound in that. xD

i wanna be a nowitall

06.09.2002, 12:44 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
gmontem
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.24.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by gmontem Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been watching the Ghibli ga ippai collection trailers for a while now (the ones included in their R2 DVDs) and it sounds like 'Ji-bu-ri'. Makes sense as I think there are no 'l' sounds in Japanese, kinda like how 'Lupin' is pronounced 'Rupan'.

08.24.2002, 04:26 PM gmontem is offline   Profile for gmontem Add gmontem to your buddy list Send an Email to gmontem
Sammi
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.28.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sammi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

it's pronounced 'ji-buri" by Miyazaki-san, so I take it to be that.

09.29.2002, 09:25 PM Sammi is offline   Profile for Sammi Add Sammi to your buddy list Send an Email to Sammi Homepage of Sammi
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

even though the japanese pronounce it ji-bu-ri, it is because the japanese are unable to pronounce the original pronunciation. i say it "gib-li" (silent h).

10.02.2002, 11:48 AM  
Sammi
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.28.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sammi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Still. english it's ghibli, japanese it's ji-buri. i take it to be official if that's how Miyazaki says it.

10.10.2002, 05:40 PM Sammi is offline   Profile for Sammi Add Sammi to your buddy list Send an Email to Sammi Homepage of Sammi
echelon
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.22.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by echelon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

None of you speak Japanese, do you? Heh heh...

Ghibli is NOT a Japanese word. Look at the kana charts. There is no such syllable for "Ghi" nor "Bli."

Japanese use Katakana (The kana chart that looks like pointy things, for the people new to Japanese.) for forign words, or "gairaigo." (Pretty sure that's the spelling. Need to check my textbook.)

Many letters are not even in the Japanese syllabary. C, X, L... Japanese do not have an "alphabet" as you know of it. Trust me, it'll take some time to learn, but it is worth it.

Ghibli is actually an Italian word. It is pronounced "Jee-blee."

However, Japanese say it as "ji-bu-ri." The vowels always sound the same in Japanese. ("A" sounds like the a in "Bay," "I" sounds like the double e's in "Free," "U" sounds like the u in "Fruit," "E" sounds like the e in "Set," and "O" sounds like the o in "Bow." And that's it. Pronouncing Japanese doesn't get much harder than that. Try reading it, haha.)

I do not know if your browsers support Shift-JIS, but here is the katakana for Ghibli: &#12472;&#12502;&#12522;.

And if you don't already know, Japanese cannot pronounce "Studio" either. It's "sutajio jiburi." (su-ta-ji-o)

I hope this helps. I am not fluent in Japanese by any means. Not yet. I won't be for awhile. I have, however, been studying it for two years, and I do know a significant ammount. I still have a long way to go... But if you need any more help, feel free to contact me. If you want to study Japanese, just IM me.

(Edit: It seems your database won't support Shift-JIS. They came out as numbers... Very odd. Sorry.)

Post last edited by echelon on 01.16.2003, 12:32 PM.

01.16.2003, 12:31 PM echelon is offline   Profile for echelon Add echelon to your buddy list Homepage of echelon Add echelon to your contact list AIM Screenname: echelonrequiem YIM Screenname: jamesdazman
UO
(/`A')/

html disabled.. prob why :evil:

01.16.2003, 06:50 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It seems that some of you cannot pronounce "Ghibli" correctly, I do not speak Japanese, however I speak italian quite well.

If you wanna pronounce "Ghibli" in the Italian way you souldn't pronounce it as "Jee-blee" as it was said (if you pronounce it "Jee-blee" it means that in italian it is wrote "Gibli" whithout any "H".

In Italian the sound "Gh*" as to be pronounced as the "G*" (as "Gun" for instance) so "Ghi" is very close to the first sound use in the word "Gear".
"Ghibli" can be pronounced "Gea-blee" or for those who speak french "Gui-bli".

For those who know how to read international phonetic transcription here is how to pronounced "Ghibli" in Italian version : "['gibli]" - the ['] indicate where is the accent in this word

TK, France

01.20.2003, 06:23 PM  
Unregistered User

Registration Date:

Lol, i was gonna explain the whole katakana thingy, but I guess echelon explained it for me
I think i was watching some show that i taped when i was in japan, and I think the word Ghibili came from some language that meant....
Gahm, I forget, but It means something in a diffrent language

02.10.2003, 11:53 PM  
amaki_tenshi
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.09.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by amaki_tenshi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've heard that they choose "Ghibli" because of the "Desert of Ghibli" .....that way it is written in Katakana, but here in Italy we read it ['gibli] .

06.09.2003, 07:09 PM amaki_tenshi is offline   Profile for amaki_tenshi Add amaki_tenshi to your buddy list Add amaki_tenshi to your contact list YIM Screenname: amaki_tenshi
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whichever way italians write of speak it, fact remains that the katakana written in the logo is read as sutajio jiburi, and so jiburi is how japanese still pronounce it, and how we ghibli fans pronounce it as jibli.

No i dont know italian, but i can sure read japanese.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.10.2003, 09:36 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
amaki_tenshi
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by amaki_tenshi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really believe that u can read japanese
I learnd not so much japanese but anyway the pronunciation is not so important .....The most important thing is that we all like this films

06.10.2003, 12:46 PM amaki_tenshi is offline   Profile for amaki_tenshi Add amaki_tenshi to your buddy list Add amaki_tenshi to your contact list YIM Screenname: amaki_tenshi
Chihiro
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.15.03
Who is right??Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Very interesting facts everyone confirm here.

Sure ,in katakana it s *jee b(u)lee*
but the L is somewhere between the R and the L
You don t touch the dents with your tongue.. just a
sudden impulse..

Anyway the italian pronouciation is the real right one..

There exists a car ,
Maserati Ghibli.. and at the car seller, he also called it
*jeeblee* - very rare and expensive

By the way what a perfect english I ve written here

07.23.2003, 11:46 AM Chihiro is offline   Profile for Chihiro Add Chihiro to your buddy list Send an Email to Chihiro Homepage of Chihiro
amaki_tenshi
Kodama

Hi Chihiro
I see you live in Bavaria.....me too!!!
I'm Italian but I live nearly Bad Toelz
and u?

07.28.2003, 12:54 PM amaki_tenshi is offline   Profile for amaki_tenshi Add amaki_tenshi to your buddy list Add amaki_tenshi to your contact list YIM Screenname: amaki_tenshi
moviemusicradio
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.06.04
  GhibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by moviemusicradio Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi everyone...i'm new to the forum but I thought I would
throw my two cents in...

I saw on a website, a clip of Stefan Albert of Studio
Ghibli accepting (for Miyazaki) the Golden Bear (Berlin
Film Fest) Award for Spirited Away, and he said
(paraphrasing) "If you can see me on the big screen
(behind him) you can see i'm not Japanese, but I DO
work for Studio Jib-lee!".

Just thought I would throw that out there....

Chris
moviemusicradio@yahoo.com
www.geocities.com/moviemusicradio

04.06.2004, 10:42 PM moviemusicradio is offline   Profile for moviemusicradio Add moviemusicradio to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  el ghibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"El Ghibli" è un vento che soffia dal deserto, caldo e secco. E' il vento dei nomadi, del viaggio e della migranza.
--
"El Ghibli" is a wind blowing from the desert, hot and dry. It's the wind of the nomads, of journey and of migration.

originating from arabian (meaning "southern"

check
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?bo...y&va=ghibli
for correct pronunciation in english.

11.19.2004, 11:22 AM  
Unregistered User

Registration Date:

hello Im Japanese. I love jibli

12.10.2004, 12:19 AM  
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks