QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - I'm in love...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » I'm in love... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
Howmany
Ohmu

Registration Date: 09.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Howmany Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well a recent Cornell university study found that love is nothing more than a chemically induced insanity
the chemicals in question dopamine,phenylethylamine,oxytocin are all natural occuring in the brain.

03.06.2007, 08:16 AM Howmany is offline   Profile for Howmany Add Howmany to your buddy list Send an Email to Howmany Homepage of Howmany AIM Screenname: Howmany YIM Screenname: Howmany
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

By "found", I trust that you actually meant "noticed something obscure that with the correct amount of complicated manipulation, could possibly suggest".

03.06.2007, 08:21 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Howmany
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Howmany Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well no i meant found love is just a chemical inblance in the brain

Post last edited by Howmany on 03.06.2007, 09:54 AM.

03.06.2007, 09:54 AM Howmany is offline   Profile for Howmany Add Howmany to your buddy list Send an Email to Howmany Homepage of Howmany AIM Screenname: Howmany YIM Screenname: Howmany
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

One of these days I'd love to hear an explanation of exactly how they worked that out.

03.06.2007, 01:37 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

now I'm laughing just from that.
I should say that to my friends the
next time they have a crush on a guy.
as if I don't sound weird right now to
them. They'd just stare at me. I'd like
an explanation too so I could back it
up until they just think 'WTF is with her?'.
Sweet..

03.06.2007, 02:25 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Student Cartoonist
^^ Ok ok, I can be be proud of my characters
proud enough to have them copyrighted

I agree, they are pretty good. You are developing your own style. I like distinctiveness.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.06.2007, 09:27 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Howmany
well no i meant found love is just a chemical inblance in the brain
Personally I'd treat that with same caution as a guy who said he'd been in contact with the pilot of a flying saucer that was hidden in the tail of a comet.

Love has so many different contexts, moods and priorities, it's like stating:

"hot food is the heating up of dead organic matter."

Absolutely. I agree with the statement. However looking at it carefully the statement means nothing.

I would only suggest the concepts of:

fish and chips
chinese aromatic crispy duck
chicken korma
thai green prawn curry
a ham sandwich

and that is just five aspects of "love"

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.06.2007, 09:35 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Student Cartoonist
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Student Cartoonist Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Before my teacher took me under his wing
I was drawing lame american drawing cartoons

My inspiration of my work

03.06.2007, 09:44 PM Student Cartoonist is offline   Profile for Student Cartoonist Add Student Cartoonist to your buddy list Send an Email to Student Cartoonist
Georgia
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.20.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Georgia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Although she is a cartoon, I can see why people would find Iori attractive, she has very life like features.
Heck a few drinks and I'd go home with her. (joke)

Damn right i wonna trade cards,
I trade you,
But not my Charizard
Thanks to studentcartoonist for the drawings!

03.08.2007, 03:48 AM Georgia is offline   Profile for Georgia Add Georgia to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Many a true word is spoken in jest, Georgia. I'd just skip the drinks, why waste time?

03.08.2007, 08:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Howmany
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
One of these days I'd love to hear an explanation of exactly how they worked that out.

@ arren18-- well I imagine not having read the actual report that they got some people who thought they where in love and ran FMRI's on them and took a brain scan to see the levels of above drugs in there head. though you could always go onto the cornell website and find the report and read it.

@saddle's--at the end of the day love is just an emotion and like all emotions it is controlled by the brain and the things that do that are chemicals and through research they can be determined and what levels of these chemicals are required and which part of the brain they need to be in. It is a reductionism to say that love is Only a chemical induced inbalance or like the one you quote but as longs as it used to elighten people about the true nature of our emotions then it is worthwhile.

03.09.2007, 10:26 AM Howmany is offline   Profile for Howmany Add Howmany to your buddy list Send an Email to Howmany Homepage of Howmany AIM Screenname: Howmany YIM Screenname: Howmany
arren18
Administrator

Emotions may be caused by chemicals controlled by the brain, but that isn't to say that any particular one is an imbalance. One of my favourite theories is that one day, we will discover that everything we always believed to be true is wrong.

03.09.2007, 12:23 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Some philosophers say that we don't exist since all our perceptions are merely (in the final analysis) electrical signals to the brain (Matrix style).

I don't buy that line of thinking either.

I think love (and many other strong human emotions) come from the soul, nothing to do with electrical signals or chemicals in the system/brain at all.

The emotions of the soul may produce chemical activity that scientists can measure but that does not suggest the chemical activity is the cause, merely a symptom.

Of course it can't be proven but then many things that one knows to exist can't be proven. I *know* God exists, I've encountered Him several times, but I can't prove that to you.

03.09.2007, 04:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know if you guys realized this, but you do know that the only thing that study proved is what happens when you get the feeling of love, not how you fall in love in the first place.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.10.2007, 01:35 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmm...I suppose you are lucky Saddletank. I wish that I could have encountered God at some point, as that would certainly clear up a lot for me...not that it's too late...

As far as the other topic, yes, love, like all emotions, can be monitored (so it would seem) by various chemicals your brain produces. But that isn't at all to say that these chemicals cause love. How do we know that these secretions aren't the result of love rather than the cause. Then again, if you add some chimical to the brain, it certainly will effect a person's mood or emotions in a more or less predictable way. So, I don't know... Anyways, as the first paragraph of my post would suggest, there are plenty of important questions in life that I really have no certainty on one way or the other. Ideally, I would like for God to pay me a visit and tell me what causes love, as that would clear two things up

03.10.2007, 03:54 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji
hmm...I suppose you are lucky Saddletank. I wish that I could have encountered God at some point, as that would certainly clear up a lot for me...not that it's too late...

I didn't meet Him 'til I was 40, so plenty of time for you yet.

E-mail me if your interested in taking this further.

03.10.2007, 06:19 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I really am not a religious person but for some reason
there's got to be something that's been talking to me..
I've heard a lot of voices lately because I find I'm having
trouble being nice and find myself hurting people I
shouldn't. But it feels like someone(not myself)keeps trying
to stop me..
I dunno, I've never read a bible and stopped going to church
before I started kindergarten.
Hm, who's trying to tell me all this stuff, deffinatley not my
imagination. I used to hear things when I was little which
I didn't say or said in my mind.
My mom thinks it's that. If God exists I wonder if he's doing
this..You may think I sound insane but you have to understand I have really no idea who he is..
As for love..Uh..Nah! Never really loved anybody. My
family was just a bond and some people think I'm Bi.
I'm not, I know that. It's just I could say I think I like
someone but then go "Impossible."
So now I think that's myself not trying to like anybody
else. So I'm selfish?

03.11.2007, 08:51 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think you can really "encounter" god. There's a story in Moses's time when God showed his greatness to a mountain, and it just crumbled into dust.

God is not something mere humans can comprehend.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.11.2007, 11:42 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Howmany
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I don't think you can really "encounter" god. There's a story in Moses's time when God showed his greatness to a mountain, and it just crumbled into dust.
God is not something mere humans can comprehend.

well said and even if we could why would god waste his time Appearing before a mortal he has surely got better things to do unless he was setting them up as phrophet.

like I mentioned in a previous post The statement that love is a chemical inblance in the brain is a reduction but clearly we are the only thing capable of altering our mood external things cannot change your emotions only you have that power. learly the chemicals in our brain are the agents of change in that they are the physical thing that does the changing.

03.12.2007, 10:47 AM Howmany is offline   Profile for Howmany Add Howmany to your buddy list Send an Email to Howmany Homepage of Howmany AIM Screenname: Howmany YIM Screenname: Howmany
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Howmany
why would god waste his time Appearing before a mortal he has surely got better things to do unless he was setting them up as phrophet.

Speaking as a non-religious person, I'm quite sure that God was always supposed to be omnipresent and omnipotent. In that case, appearing before thousands of people would be simple enough, and speaking to them would be well within his power.

03.12.2007, 12:43 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks