QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studio Ghibli Box DVD Set
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Studio Ghibli Box DVD Set » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Studio Ghibli Box DVD SetPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have seen many versions of this on ebay, just wondering if anyone here can shed some light on it, ie legitimacy, quality, and which set/sets are widescreen?

01.17.2004, 12:46 AM  
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Currently all the DVD boxsets are bootlegs. The only legit Ghibli boxsets out there are the LD and VHS sets.

For most of the boxsets, they squeeze 3 movies into one dvd, so the quality isnt too great. The ratio is usually 4:3. The subtitles occasionally have problems, like on one of the sets I've seen, My Neighbour Totoro has dubtitles from the fox release instead of true subs.

01.19.2004, 02:26 AM  
Kaori-K
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.14.04
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kaori-K Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hello everybody!
i bought them 12 DVD box set!! dunno why i bought it because i have all original DVDs.....cry cry

them 12 DVD box sets are Terrible Terrible Terrible!!!
Grrrrrr...

Subtitle pops up 5seconds after dialog.
not acceptable. and subtitles are not right too!!!

As i am one of big Ghibli fan, this HongKong 12DVD Fake sets make me angry!!

Please dont purchase one if you are the Ghibli Fan! :-(

03.14.2004, 11:20 AM Kaori-K is offline   Profile for Kaori-K Add Kaori-K to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Guest
Currently all the DVD boxsets are bootlegs. The only legit Ghibli boxsets out there are the LD and VHS sets.

For most of the boxsets, they squeeze 3 movies into one dvd, so the quality isnt too great. The ratio is usually 4:3. The subtitles occasionally have problems, like on one of the sets I've seen, My Neighbour Totoro has dubtitles from the fox release instead of true subs.

There is one legit R3 boxset by IVL that is being release on 08/20. YesAsia has it for $280...

08.15.2004, 11:33 PM  
PHILIPNORTON42
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.13.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PHILIPNORTON42 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with that. The subtitles on these DVD bootleg sets are a bit off. Sometimes they will simply not be there when people are talking, other times they will be really fast so that 3 or 4 lines appear withing a couple of seconds.

But with Disney effectivley raping the soundtracks, and making up their own subtitles it means that they the bootlegs are actually better than the Disney releases. At least you get to watch the films as they were intended. The subtitles on the Disney Laputa release are a farse!

10.13.2004, 07:38 AM PHILIPNORTON42 is offline   Profile for PHILIPNORTON42 Add PHILIPNORTON42 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks