QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo... Clones?!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo... Clones?! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo... Clones?!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

And I ain't jokin' here.

Got tipped off bout the movie being out on DVD, so decided to check it out. Unfortunately, they don't have English subs, otherwise I'd be posting a topic on how I blew another hundred bucks.

Still, to see TWO other movies by the same name AND genres(romance/scifi) is pretty weird. And according to the summaries I dug up at IMDB, they all have pretty much the same storyline.

1983 movie, and 1997 movie from IMDB.

So... yeah. It's late now, but even if I tried googling them up, I'd probably have to trawl through pages of the anime-related links to even find anything remotely related to the other two movies.

Let the reconnaissance begin, people.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.09.2007, 11:42 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched it yesterday!!
In last summer, TOKI-KAKE completely got beaten by GEDO in buisiness in Japan.
However many critics said TOKI is much better than GEDO.
Yes, TOKI-KAKE is not bad.....
But, I can tell you, 5cm/sec is much better than TOKI or GEDO.

I saw some Ghibli art staffs in ending credit roll of TOKI......Oga, Takeshige.......
I found Special edited DVD box of TOKI-KAKE at DVD shop. I didn't buy it though......
[IMG]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/849/tokikakeoy5.jpg" border=0>[/IMG]

05.11.2007, 12:58 PM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whats the basic premise of Toki-Kake?

I'm a complete sucker for romance anime, easily my favourite genre.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.12.2007, 06:50 AM.

05.12.2007, 06:49 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
the title translates as "the girl who travelled in time" or so.
From what I know, its about this girl who (dont ask me how) finds a means of travelling in time.
At first she uses it for small things like finding exam questions etc, but then things get increasingly complicated...

theres a review on ANN. Read it if youre interested.
I do want to see it.

05.12.2007, 07:39 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's a romance genre alright. Long story short, the heroine somehow altered the past enough to cause her two close guy friends to fall for her, and decides to go back (as if she hadn't gone back enough) to fix it.

The songs in the movie is marvellous, that much I can say. I'm leeching it right now even, but at 2GB, ain't gonna be fast.

Anyway, I still haven't found any clue as to the OTHER TWO movies by the same name. I thought maybe Kanta would have any idea.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.15.2007, 12:59 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kanta
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The original novel was wrtten by Tsutsui Yasutaka about 30 years ago. Kon Satoshi's Paplica is also written by Tsutsui.
It was first filmed 1983 directed by Obayashi as real action movie.
It got a big hit and the song written by Yumin also got big hit. Good song. If you want it, PM me.
I have this movie as a file but haven't watched it.
I have no idea about 1997 film. It is also real action. Maybe they are same story. Both 2 was produced by same person---Kadokawa Haruki. Kadokawa has his own movie company. He directed 1997 by himself.

TOKI-KAKE 2006 didn't hit at all. It was released in summer vacation and strong rivals occupied most of screens all over Japan-------like GEDO, Brave Story, Cars, Pirates of Caribian2....... TOKI got only few screens. If a movie can't make an ally of strong distributor, it must fail in business.

left---1983, right---2006

[IMG]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9383/tokikake1983ie2.jpg" border=0>[/IMG] [IMG]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3760/tokikake20062ar2.jpg" border=0>[/IMG]

05.16.2007, 01:11 AM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you! I saw that promotional image of the girl with the bike some while ago and thought the art style was lovely. I will go track this one down right away.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.16.2007, 04:22 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

If it ever gets English subs made for it...

05.16.2007, 04:26 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo.

I only regret that I never used my father's projector for a more cinematic experience, that I never upgraded my graphics card, and not knowing how to resize the ridiculously large font size of the subs in the MKV file.

This is, like, wow. Just... wow. I'll be dreaming of this for many nights like I did after watching Byousoku 5cm.

@Kanta: Does that file have subtitles? It's just easier for me since I'm not very fluent as of yet. Trying to understand japanese while watching a show is still a little too much for me.

And yeah, I'll try that song. And that movie, but then we'd have to be on MSN.

Funny thing is, if all three movies were based on the same novel, why do they use different names?

EDIT: I found a drama for the adaptation. And a quote on a forum:

""Toki O Kakeru Shojo" (or Tokikake) is probably the most adapted modern short story in Japanese Literature. As of date, there have been seven different versions of the Tsutsui Yasutaka story in both TV and movies ... ".

Damn 0.0

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 05.16.2007, 06:35 AM.

05.16.2007, 04:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kanta
Warawara

TOKI-KAKE TRAILERPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I up-loaded a traler of TOKI-KAKE on Megaupload.
It's only 14MB. Enjoy it.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M28EC4GO
Official site is here.
http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/tokikake/index.php
[IMG]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9746/tokikakeposter0nd6.jpg" border=0>[/IMG]

@Roakiller........The real action TOKI-KAKE 1983 file of mine has no sub.
I watched a few fragments and felt It has quite different flavor from 2006. if you want, I'll send you.

05.17.2007, 11:20 AM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

It's okay, I found it on my own (haven't watched it yet though). It appeared after interest was generated from the anime movie. I also found a copy of the drama series, but I'm not getting it as of yet.

Still haven't found anything on the 1997 movie.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.17.2007, 11:53 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Kanta
I up-loaded a traler of TOKI-KAKE on Megaupload.
It's only 14MB. Enjoy it.

I did, thank you very much. It looks lovely, I really like the animation style. As soon as anyone hears of a set of English subs for this please let me know.

05.17.2007, 05:29 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The animation style does indeed look good. I think I'll look out for this one.

05.18.2007, 07:12 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

- yep, double post. sorry! -

Just now I accidentally stumbled upon this. It's no news or anything but it's related at least.

06.03.2007, 02:15 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

It's a 3-disc edition. Collector's, probably.

1st disc contains a clip of the ending song Garnet and commentaries. Guessing "The Making of" special, in a nutshell. 2nd disc contains live commentary as the movie is playing by the cast. Similar to the standard edition. 3rd disc is the storyboards, kinda like ghibli's, including staff commentaries.

And no, there ain't no subs for this one either.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.06.2007, 11:13 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally watched this film.

I loved the first half. I was pretty sure it was on its way to being one of my favourite anime altogether. The writing, dialogue, voice acting, direction were all just perfect. Then there was that moment at the (spoiler) train tracks where Kousuke was about to be hit by the train in Makoto's former position, which was just a really well-done, powerful scene. It was after this scene, though, that I felt things started to go in a different direction. I think it was the expanding of the time traveling beyond Makoto which changed the atmosphere and tone of the film to something other than a personal journey. And also added some sci-fi elements with the talk of different eras, and etc. Anyways, I preferred the first half over the second for that reason.

However, with that being said, the entire film was still remarkable and is definitely recommended by me.

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.27.2008, 04:11 AM.

11.27.2008, 04:01 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Normally I'll just close this because of necroeing, but...

You serious? You only JUST saw this movie?! Where were you all this time, stuck in Hueco Mundo? It won Best Animation!

Anyway, the original story does follow that same pattern, albeit in a different setting, characters and all that, but it still contains elements of self-discovery. And while you may not realize it, there were a lot of hidden messages in that second half, mainly in the differences between similar events, or sometimes, the lack of differences.

Especially the very last scene. Copycat of SA, if I ever saw one.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

11.27.2008, 11:23 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would say it's preferable to use single threads rather than create multiple threads for specific topics like anime series (when adding posts more meaningful than "I love bleach " ), but that's just my opinion.

I do not think I missed any the film's messages. I preferred the first half. Not that you were doing this, but it reminded me for a moment of B5cm fan friends of mine who cannot accept the idea that I didn't absolutely adore the film in every way, so they say, "you just didn't understand", regardless of any reasons I give.

Anyways, I still think it was a great film, but I can't help but wonder how much I would have enjoyed it if it had continued in the vein of the first half before entering a more sci-fi influenced phase. One segment I thought was done well was how Makoto, after turning back time to "avoid" Chiaki's "confession", realized that it yielded no less awkwardness than if she hadn't done so in the first place.

Post last edited by Theowne on 11.27.2008, 08:21 PM.

11.27.2008, 12:15 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks