QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - PAPRIKA!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General PAPRIKA!!! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Cabooseshero
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cabooseshero Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
The best soudntrack is on FLCL.
the pillows rule.

FLCL does have an awesome sountrack, But I think the original scores done by Joe Hisaishi, and Yoko Kanno are the best in the biz.

09.06.2007, 05:10 AM Cabooseshero is offline   Profile for Cabooseshero Add Cabooseshero to your buddy list Send an Email to Cabooseshero AIM Screenname: MSN: Cabooseshero@cableone.net
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, Kanno's work on the two GITS series soundtracks is amazing, such a range of styles from one person.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.06.2007, 05:15 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Cabooseshero
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cabooseshero Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Hm, Kanno's work on the two GITS series soundtracks is amazing, such a range of styles from one person.

Don't forget Bebop and Wolf's Rain too!

09.09.2007, 09:59 PM Cabooseshero is offline   Profile for Cabooseshero Add Cabooseshero to your buddy list Send an Email to Cabooseshero AIM Screenname: MSN: Cabooseshero@cableone.net
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The soundtrack in GITS Innocence is amazing.

09.10.2007, 09:51 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

im reviving this thread as i have alot of questions about this movie now i have seen it that i really want to discuss and get peoples interpretations on..

first of all, as has been said, this was brilliant.. the combination of visuals (which i dont think are overdone as they contribute to your own state of mind and perception of whats going on) and the soundtrack that followed the storyline made the movie even better. this is the type of film you could get to the end of and sit in your seat for another two hours contemplating and registering it.. and still not have all the answers you crave.

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS)Some things i was wondering about:

- whats the deal with the "oppisites" thing? near the end paprika says something along the lines of "darkness, light.. man...." "Woman?" and then proceeds to consume the dream elements merged with the real world.... why oppisites?? as far as i picked up on there is no reference to or importance placed on anything like this beforehand and yet there seems to be a significance in this part (especially considering that it concludes the plot).. is this just random or are there reasons for this that i missed?

-i am confused about the relationship between the cop (Konakawa??) and his case regarding the death of someone in that hallway..... is this real?? and if yes who is the dead person and how is this realted to anything else in the film??? how is this related to his dead film school friend? i seem to go in circles with these bits and cant even phrase my question properly really.. so any thoughs on this would be appreciated

i have many more questions but will need to watch for a third and fourth time over the next few weeks and get back to you.

11.26.2007, 06:53 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, I really need to see this. Another DVD to add to my Christmas list!

Post last edited by Maho_Fushida on 11.30.2007, 09:00 PM.

11.30.2007, 08:59 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi T.C.

Both times I've watched this movie, towards the end my mind has just stopped thinking and is just enjoying! So the opposites issue is difficult for me to explain.

There are a number of "opposites" in the story: dream world and waking world: the crazy crippled old chairman and the young and very sane Atsuko Chiba: the slim Chiba and the grossly fat Kōsaku Tokita: using the DC Mini for good (Tokita's and Chiba's intent) and for bad (greed and gain by the chairman): good against evil (and the metaphors for this) light against dark: woman against man. I am still unsure about all these pairs and opposites although it is a key element throughout the story. Kon's other works Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress both addressed themes of duality via a symbolic struggle. I would have to watch it again and concentrate on this but I think this is a device Kon uses often to represent struggle, conflict and finally conquest or completion.

The police officer, Toshimi Konakawa, originally goes to Chiba/Paprika to try to solve the murder case he is working on. The murdered man is never identified and we also never find out if the case was solved. Its possible that its just not relevant, or it's possible its not a real murder case at all but is merely a dream and is Konakawa wrapped up in his own fears about his career as a policeman. His personal achievement in the story is that he lays to rest his own demons about him not taking up a professional film making career (shades of Millenium Actrees and Perfect Blue again) and his final ability to lay to rest the memory of his college friend. He was once trying to be a film director/actor but became a cop (at the end we see his reflection in the glass of the building where he appears as the cop from his college days movie.)

I think the movie can be seen as a personal journey of enlightement for Konakawa the cop as much as anything. He is the first character we see, and the last, he "bookends" the story.

I have no idea if I'm right, these are just things I pick up from this amazing film.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.30.2007, 09:01 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Close on the second point, but not quite, Saddle.

Well I lost memories of that particular opposites scene, but maybe Paprika was thinking up of a way to defeat that gay CEO guy? I mean, if the opposite of man is woman, the two cancels out each other, no?

Or that's how I see it anyway. Need to watch that part again.

On Konakawa, that murder case is simply a trigger to his past memories where he and his friend were shooting a detective movie which they never finished, or rather, left it to his friend to pursue his own goals instead.

He and his friend were film fanatics in their younger days and decided to produce a movie together, by the way. Hence his version of the dream world. In case anyone's wondering.

As it happens, his friend died before being able to finish their film, and Konakawa harboured feelings of regret that he was never able to reconcile with his friend nor realize their dream of finishing a movie.

In a way, finishing the movie was supposed to be his way of repenting, but he never got round to it (although he did at the end of the movie).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.30.2007, 10:25 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

so Konakawa resolved his inner issues over the death of his friend by literally resolving the narrative that came to represent their relationship. i understood that but i think i had expected (and so was searching for) more connection to the whole Chiba/Paprika vs Osanai/the Chairman thing and thought their must be something else behind the old friend and what not. The way you explained it makes me think that it has a fairly seperate functioning from the overall storyline, introducing paprika and involving other elements, but still beginning and concluding seperately.

The oppisites is making more sense too, there is a theme of it in many ways throughout the film however they are only blatantly stated in that part of the movie.

Thanks, couldnt have got better answers than that.

another thing though....
How can Paprika appear while Dr Chiba is still physically there in that bit near the end..? you dont get answeres to that as far as ive noticed and my interpretation revolves around the idea that because the dream world and the real world begin to blur and blend both Chiba's dream form and real form can exist simoultaneously.

12.03.2007, 04:37 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by T.C. How can Paprika appear while Dr Chiba is still physically there in that bit near the end..?
You can see from Chiba and the other doctors reactions when they are inside the glass bridge that they are struggling with that too. But my take on it is that since the dream world has merged with the real world, and since dreams are not real anything can happen at all, there could easily be multiple Paprika's, in fact any nonesense is possible.

But Kon held it together and limited us to one Paprika and given the general weirdness of the last scenes it worked okay.

Remember there are two Tokita's in the world as well - the sleeping one in the lab and the dream one inside the giant toy robot (although I accept one is unconscious while Dr Chiba is awake), even so it's not too crazy a plot device.

BTW does anyone else agree with me that Chiba is one of the best looking anime women ever? Isn't she great? I'm just such a sucker for intelligent, immaculate women like that...

12.03.2007, 09:32 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
T.C.
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Remember there are two Tokita's in the world as well - the sleeping one in the lab and the dream one inside the giant toy robot (although I accept one is unconscious while Dr Chiba is awake), even so it's not too crazy a plot device.

Yes but they also say earlier that Tokita and Himuro have "lost their concious selves", or something along those lines, that theyre consciousness exists only in the dream world and in fact Himuro's fall into the dream world and out of his real consciousness is represented by the "shell" of him that paprika finds.

Also, there is in fact two Paprikas at one point.. there is a part where time almost seems to fold back on itself as paprika is turned into a doll by the chairman and then shouts advice to another paprika on a flying board thing which she came into the dream on..?? not getting that either..

quote:

BTW does anyone else agree with me that Chiba is one of the best looking anime women ever? Isn't she great? I'm just such a sucker for intelligent, immaculate women like that...

i like Paprika better..
but shes not real... or is she? what is she even classified as? an alternate personality??

12.04.2007, 12:23 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow a lot of praise in here.

So, would any of you say that Paprika is your favorite Kon film/work (mine's Millenium Actress)?

If so, I won't be able to wait for my Birthday!
*cough* Christmas Eve *Cough*

12.04.2007, 12:29 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yes, I think it is. If nothing else its one of the most beautiful visual feasts of anime ever. And sorry for the spoilers.

I think Perfect Blue is his second best although I was a bit put off by teh fanservice in that.

Millenium Actress is his weakest mainly due to the annoying TV crew, although that's 100% a personal peeve and I should look at it objectively. Grudgingly I think it should rate higher than Blue.

There's also Tokyo Godfathers which I understand is humour and doesn't fit with his other three films which are all on a theme of "inner struggle".

12.04.2007, 02:24 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have it now! I'll be watching it very soon. ^_^

12.04.2007, 10:40 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Supergaijin
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.21.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Supergaijin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not gonna pretend I understood the movie, but the visuals alone was worth the buy. And I LOVE the theme song by Susumu Hirasawa!

Millennium Actress is the better film in my opinion though.

"The man studied economics, but he never studied happiness."

"Shizuki... will you marry me!?"

12.11.2007, 01:12 AM Supergaijin is offline   Profile for Supergaijin Add Supergaijin to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

i was able to cling onto enough of the general storyline to follow it well enough so as to enjoy it alot, and the fact that it confused me and made me think alot only made it better. the visuals and soundtrack are very good accompanying elements indeed.
i have yet to see Millenium Actress..

12.11.2007, 04:02 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i've always been very interested in seeing Paranoia Agent

12.12.2007, 12:29 PM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
i've always been very interested in seeing Paranoia Agent

You should, it is very good and is typical Satoshi Kon with the real world being merged into a made up world in people's minds. It is not easy or light viewing though, very intriguing idea but it does deal with some VERY adult themes (prostitution, suicide, paedophilia) so watch out for that. I think one of the episodes carries a 15 certificate.

Interestingly the main character is a cop who tries to deal with a series of assault cases and he is very much like the policeman in Paprika in some ways.

I also think this character is seen to a lesser extent in the documentary maker in Millenium Actress and so has probably got a good chunk of Kon himself in.

12.12.2007, 01:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been meaning to see Paranoia Agent at some point. My friend has started watching it lately. And Saddles, all the DVDs are 15, except for one that's 18. Is that what you meant?

12.12.2007, 01:30 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
all the DVDs are 15, except for one that's 18. Is that what you meant?
Yes, sorry. The flippin boxed set is sat right in front of me on a shelf and I didn't even look up to check the DVD spines as I was typing it!

So, yeah, one set of episodes is rated 18 which I think is the same rating as Perfect Blue.

12.12.2007, 01:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks