QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - PAPRIKA!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » PAPRIKA!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not too familiar with Kon's work, but I loved Millenium Actress, so I should probably watch this some time. Though, from what I've read, it sounds sort of like Howl's Moving Castle (lots of crazy stuff happening, not a very coherent plot), which may put me off.

08.25.2007, 12:32 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, the plot is absolutely coherent and is very tight, and the directing is brilliant. The visuals however are confusing. I'm not giving away too many spoliers I don't think telling you that the plot revolves around a group of scientists who have invented a machine that allows an observer (ostensibly a medical advisor) to enter a patients dreams and interact with the patient within them as a means to heal the mind of mental patients or those dealing with stress etc. Things go wrong when a terrorist steals one of the machines and begins to 'attack' the scientists inside their heads.

So with Millenium actress we had a confusing (and often seamless) journey between reality and a woman's acting career and her quest for a lost love.

In Perfect Blue we had a similar confusing journey in the mind of a female pop star who was trying to break out into the acting industry but who got very confused between acting and her real life and her former pop-star life.

In Paprika we have a confusing story that flows between reality and the dreams of several of the protagonists in a way that makes the plot of Kon's previous two movies seem straighforward. For me Paprika was both more complex that Millenium Actress and yet clearer too, mainly due to sharp directing I think. My only complaint was the ending which took on rather too many apocalyptic shades of Akira but I don't think it'll disappoint.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.25.2007, 02:49 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
I loved Perfect blue.
It hought it was amaingly directed, thetransitions were good, it was fast paced... I loved it.

Paprika on the other ahnd seemed, to me, like it wanted to say too many things and didnt really know how to say them, and often hid behind the visuals.
Dont get me wrong, it was still impressive, just not as impressive as, I feel, it oculd have been.

08.25.2007, 10:15 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have since heard more about it, and since it's being released on DVD here pretty soon, I'm very interested.

08.26.2007, 03:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
it's being released on DVD here pretty soon
Have you heard any dates mentioned?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.26.2007, 03:42 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes. I can't remember exactly, but definitely September. Possibly the 10th.

08.27.2007, 02:58 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Btw, I brought another Satoshi Kon movie the other day 'Tokyo Godfathers', and as it states on the DVD cover, it is a visually and emotionally stunning tale of adventure, love and redemption!

It's good but IMHO Paprika is better.

08.28.2007, 04:33 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I checked. It's September 28.

08.29.2007, 03:01 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Mercy buckets. A late birthday pressie then.

08.29.2007, 09:23 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I enjoyed Satoshi Kon's other films a lot, so I'm looking forward to this on DVD... I think Millennium Actress was probably my favourite of his work that I've seen so far, but what I've seen of Paprika does look really special.

I have way too many 'DVDs I want to buy' next month!

08.29.2007, 08:00 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I brought a copy of NEO magazine that was covering Paprika's release. Overall they said it was pretty good. However I'm probably gonna end up getting it at christmas at the rate of my money problems atm.

09.02.2007, 04:33 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
arren18
Administrator

I got that too. That's how I found out more about it.

09.02.2007, 05:10 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
frigidchill
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I got that too. That's how I found out more about it.

I would so be reading it write now if I hadn't left it round my mates house last night. (I wanted to show him the Elfen Lied cosplayer - I thought he would appreciate it )

Thought of checking out buying the Deathnote manga when it's released.

09.02.2007, 06:32 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
arren18
Administrator

That cosplayer was disappointing.

09.02.2007, 06:49 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Surely if you're going to cosplay Elfen Leid you just take your clothes off?

And maybe rip body parts off too?

09.02.2007, 06:52 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

The problem is, that wasn't the case.

09.02.2007, 06:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
frigidchill
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

And maybe rip body parts off too?

It's not very photogenic though is it?

And then there is the death of the cameraman to deal with...

09.02.2007, 06:59 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Cabooseshero
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cabooseshero Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Update! I work at Suncoast and we got a date for Paprika R1 on November 27th ^_^

Also you guys need to check out the soundtrack. Now I didn't really like the score by Susumu Hirasawa in Paranoia Agent but I loooved what he did with Paprika. I'm trying to think a way to describe it but it's so unique nothing comes to mind...

Post last edited by Cabooseshero on 09.05.2007, 03:10 AM.

09.05.2007, 03:03 AM Cabooseshero is offline   Profile for Cabooseshero Add Cabooseshero to your buddy list Send an Email to Cabooseshero AIM Screenname: MSN: Cabooseshero@cableone.net
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Must confess when I saw Paprika I didn't hear the music at all, the visuals took up all the sensory channels to my brain!

And I disagree about the PA soundtrack, I think its awesome.

09.05.2007, 08:02 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The best soudntrack is on FLCL.
the pillows rule.

09.05.2007, 11:38 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks