QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Cowboy Bebop!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Cowboy Bebop! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
Cowboy Bebop!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cowboy Bebop!

I know its not a new series but I just love it. Its good fun and light weight in places without being trivial. Sometimes returning to old favourites is the way forward.

If anyone has any suggestions for me I'd be more than happy to give them a try.

06.03.2007, 05:52 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Ray15
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ray15 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think they have a movie that's coming out or has already been released. I love Cowboy bebop, Great series. I actually gave my grandfather the name of Bebop

Thanks for the Sig #1 Sanfan

06.03.2007, 01:18 PM Ray15 is offline   Profile for Ray15 Add Ray15 to your buddy list Send an Email to Ray15 AIM Screenname: ryanclms YIM Screenname: Ryan Weaver
Omis
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm curious now. Why did you call your Grandad Bebop?

Anyway hi I'm kinda new here and havn't got the hang of things yet but thanks for the reply.

06.07.2007, 06:52 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Ray15
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ray15 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I dunno, My cousin named him that

Thanks for the Sig #1 Sanfan

06.09.2007, 12:58 PM Ray15 is offline   Profile for Ray15 Add Ray15 to your buddy list Send an Email to Ray15 AIM Screenname: ryanclms YIM Screenname: Ryan Weaver
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cowboy Bebop is really in a class of its own. I can't think of anything that is similar. Samurai Champloo is supposed to be a streetwise modern take on the Samurai idea with modern music to go with it. I've not seen it but JRR on this forum says its good.

It depends what kind of anime you like:

Sci-Fi, fantasy, romance, eastern/mystical, shapechanging...?

Do like your plots to be character driven or do you prefer pretty artwork?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.09.2007, 04:50 PM.

06.09.2007, 04:50 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haven't seen it. Surprisingly. I just never had the energy to hunt it down, and I have doubts about buying my local release.

But it's good, I'll give it that.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.09.2007, 10:22 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
WEll, Samurai Champloo is, as is Cowboy Bebop, dirrected by Shinichiro Watanabe.
This is also quite obvious when both series are seen. Both have the feeling of cool, are often full of situation comedy and have amazing action.
Samurai Champloo basically has more of all of these, except story.
Yes, the story in Samurai Champloo is pretty simple, the Bebop is not too deep either, but it fits perfectly (the end also gives it aserious touch).
Basically this girl wants to find some "sunflower samurai" so she takes these two outlaw samurai with her (there is a reason).
The soundtrack to that series is really good aswell. whereasw as Bebop uses jazz, this uses hip hop (though not with rap), dub etc. The soundtrack is worth getting, I have it.
So, if you liked the overall feeling of Bebop, you should get champloo, it is similar. It is a good anime to just sit down with a couple of friends with and enjoy.
I liked it very much.

06.10.2007, 03:48 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought Bebop had as much story as your average series, if not more. The first few eps are basically simple one-offs that introduce the characters and the world they're in. But pretty quickly an implied tension comes in that affects all the main characters (except Ed). While each episode is a closed story in itself the character threads run on into the following stories. You get to the point where Faye's past (or lack of it) starts to be explored and you realise this series is a cut above the average in its plot.

I found the whole set of episodes about Fay's backstory to be the high point of the series, far more touching than Spike's, and the series climax which I thought was rather predictable.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.10.2007, 04:00 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

if u are looki for a anime TV series with story check out Full Metal Alchemist!!!! its the best - my fav anime TV story - its story is very deep, heavy, powerful etc. i cant even begin to say how good it is ive got up to volume 7 very gd and funny but also sad and tragic volume

so yh watch it!!!

as for bebop ive only seen i volume but i loved it all the same!!! very gd i hope to see the rest (but right now im concentratin on savein money to get the rest on Full Metal Alchemist!!!)

06.10.2007, 04:46 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Omis
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've only seen the first half of the bebop series. Trying to drop heavy hints to my friends to get me it for my birthday!

My fave series by far has to be Neon Genesis Evangelion. For Christmas I got the complete platinum collection. Tin box set with full illustrated booklet for the series. I was chuffed! Sometimes it feels great to be a geek No what I mean?

06.10.2007, 09:45 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks