QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Scariest anime you've EVER seen
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Scariest anime you've EVER seen » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Mononokehime
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.25.06
Scariest anime you've EVER seenPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mononokehime Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just out of interst, what is the scariest anime everyone here has ever seen? I'm gonna see which one gets the most votes in about a week then make sure I never watch it lol

07.15.2007, 05:12 PM Mononokehime is offline   Profile for Mononokehime Add Mononokehime to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Scary doesn't necessarily mean you wouldn't want to watch it though. It could be high quality scary-ness

But I don't really watch scary stuff anyway, I don't enjoy being frightened. However while live action movies frighten me (because they are realistic) I'm not sure any animated movie would.

There were moments in Perfect Blue that were tense and bloodthirsty but not really scary. Again moments in Blood:The Last Vampire that were very violent and bloody but not at all scary. But I'd recommend both of those as great anime.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.15.2007, 05:26 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hundred Stories. It's a series about Japan's ghostlore anyhow. And highly graphic, may I add.

Actually, it's not that scary, but then nothing scares me anyway, and honestly I don't know of any other scary anime.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.16.2007, 12:11 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Maybe 'scary' is a bad word (we're back to the philosophy thread again). Perhaps violent/bloodthirsty/graphic would be a better term, of which I'm sure a lot of anime can be so described.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.16.2007, 03:35 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i would put Jin Roh in that category, it was quite suspenseful, especially at the end. great film, ive changed my opinion on it, i think i just needed some time to dwell on it.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.16.2007, 09:24 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
i would put Jin Roh in that category, it was quite suspenseful, especially at the end. great film, ive changed my opinion on it, i think i just needed some time to dwell on it.

Yesssss my dear, by all meanssssss dwell on it

*cough*

On the purpose of this topic, I don't think it'll be much help actually. Very few of us are actually anime fanatics who have watched hundreds of titles, plus very few anime actually fall under the Scary genre.

And a lot that do barely has any scare factor. Ghost Hunt, for example, leans more towards the supernatural/comedy than horror, although there are a couple of scenes that make your skin crawl.

It'd be better to just avoid the genres (like drama/horror/romance) you don't like, rather than what scares you most.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.16.2007, 11:57 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think Perfect Blue is supposed to be a thriller. But yeah, there isn't a whole lot of anime horror. It's about as common as anime musicals.

07.17.2007, 01:27 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah roar, you are an anomaly on this board, i think you have probably seen the most series/films out of all of us. i am usually constricted by time, and my artistic bug, which always prevents me from watching anime, but i do still love it.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.17.2007, 04:22 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
Roar, you are an anomaly on this board

I think we should make that official. I'd love to go around a forum where people knew me as The Anomaly.

07.17.2007, 05:51 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It should be a new rank that we award to him.

07.17.2007, 06:03 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

And for that, it goes into my sig. I'll edit it when I have the time.

Did you know that Singapore is supposedly 2nd only to America when it comes to leeching anime? And when you compare the size of the two countries, that's like wow.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.18.2007, 09:54 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i havent seen many scary animes but Ictey the killer looks scary

argh! lol

07.19.2007, 11:33 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
louiselouiselouise
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  princesess mononokoPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by louiselouiselouise Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

it is not as such as scary
but i don't like all the blood in it.
I kn ow you may think i am of my rockers, and i would agree with you if i was truely scared of it. but i am not. I just don't like all the blood and grusome stuff in it.
But i like the way its to do with nature. that makes the film a whole lot better

07.20.2007, 10:51 AM louiselouiselouise is offline   Profile for louiselouiselouise Add louiselouiselouise to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im not sure i ever get scared as such by animes, however some do make me sit on the edge of my seat gripping the computer desk - Very Tense. I think thats the closest i can relate to. I'd say there's quite a few of those moments in Bleach, Naruto perhaps...And quite sadly i was terrified in that episode of Ouran High School when she was shoved off the cliff [ oh the horror! ].

Tee Hee x

p.s Where did that thread about books were reading go? I've got a whopper!

07.20.2007, 02:20 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never actually seen a 'scary' anime, in fact, are there any out there that give you a decent scare? I'd like to know if anyone's come across one.

However there are those with creepy moments. Most recently Ghost Hunt was the anime that had instances which creeped me out.

08.13.2007, 10:21 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think the general feel is that there is very few anime that are scary.

That said however, I recently watched Gantz and stopped because it was so unbelievably uncomfortable to watch. It's gory, and only two of the characters actually show any 'human' qualities.

08.14.2007, 06:26 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

The gantz manga is several times more graphic. But when you get past the nudity (and gore, if you don't like it), it's got a pretty damn good story. And the plot is one of the most original in recent times.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.14.2007, 08:27 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
The gantz manga is several times more graphic. But when you get past the nudity (and gore, if you don't like it), it's got a pretty damn good story. And the plot is one of the most original in recent times.

Yea, I read the review of it on ANN and it said something pretty similar. The gore I don't mind, or the nudity, (Elfen Lied certainly de-sensitised me) but the thing with the dog was weird. It's just the overall realism of people's attitude towards things that got me, like the beginning scene in the train station, or with that Alien kid.

It's uncomfortable when you realise people do act like that.

But yea, I'm gonna hold my breath and watch some more tonight.

08.14.2007, 11:32 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Battle Royale I have heard is pretty graphic and nasty (and emotional). Its not one I intend to watch though.

08.14.2007, 03:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

elfin lied is a bit on the errr....bloody side

08.14.2007, 07:11 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks