QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Mononoke
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Mononoke » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.23.04
  MononokePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Coyotegyrl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi,
I just finished making a film with a Japanese Historian who does LOTS of research. His recent studies brought him to find out about Japanese Wolves - and his research includes Princess Mononoke. It turnes out that prior to the "westernization" of Japan, wolves were regarded as godlike creatures. There are remnants of wolf shrines around Japan. Wolves protected the peoples crops from being decimated by deer and monkeys. Post-industrial Japan became a meat - eating, livestock - raising people, and woves "turned into" deamons (sound familiar yet?).
To make matters worse, the wolf population in Japan had never experienced rabies before - and due to increased trade with China, rabies ran rampant through the wolf population in a very short amount of time. Japan then employed American trappers to come over to Japan to "get rid" of the wolves. They used horrible things like strychnine, and wiped out all the wolves by early 1900. Currently, there are the beginnings of discussion for bringing back wolves to Japan - certainly not the Japanese wolf subspecies because it's extinct. But a similar wolf - the Mongolian wolf may be a good candidate.
Cool haugh? I saw Princess Mononoke when it came out, and couldn't believe the professor I met at school - there really were wolves in Japan! Princess Mononoke now holds a VERY special place in my heart!
There will be a book coming out by this professor. His name is Brett Walker, and the title is: Creating & Killing the Wolves of Japan. The film will be on PBS sometime later this year.
Cheers!!!

03.23.2004, 02:31 PM Coyotegyrl is offline   Profile for Coyotegyrl Add Coyotegyrl to your buddy list Homepage of Coyotegyrl
wolf Tooth
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.11.04
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wolf Tooth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's very interesting! Tell us when this pbs special is coming, I'm interestind in seeing this

03.24.2004, 12:13 PM wolf Tooth is offline   Profile for wolf Tooth Add wolf Tooth to your buddy list
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kewl!

yeah give us a heads up when it airs

03.24.2004, 02:34 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Coyotegyrl
Susuwatari

PBS filmPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Coyotegyrl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The series name is "On the Frontier: Portraits of Montana Scientists"I'm currently doing the final touches on the films...it should air shortly after I finish it - but I'll keep you updated.
thanks for the interest...

03.24.2004, 03:30 PM Coyotegyrl is offline   Profile for Coyotegyrl Add Coyotegyrl to your buddy list Homepage of Coyotegyrl
wolf Tooth
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wolf Tooth Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Do yah think nasucaa.net will be interested in this?

03.24.2004, 03:42 PM wolf Tooth is offline   Profile for wolf Tooth Add wolf Tooth to your buddy list
Coyotegyrl
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Coyotegyrl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

maybe, I'm not too familiar with the forum there...
do you mean the forum, or the website itself?

03.24.2004, 04:08 PM Coyotegyrl is offline   Profile for Coyotegyrl Add Coyotegyrl to your buddy list Homepage of Coyotegyrl
wolf Tooth
Kodama

the site itself.

ghiblink@nausicaa.net

Post last edited by wolf Tooth on 03.24.2004, 06:45 PM.

03.24.2004, 06:43 PM wolf Tooth is offline   Profile for wolf Tooth Add wolf Tooth to your buddy list
Sophie
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.19.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sophie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

wow. I never knew there was so much culture in that movie (actually, i knew it was based on this era in Japan before or after the war era). That is very sad that western influence was partial to the cause of those wolves' extinction.
I hope to see that special on PBS (if by chance it may still be airing). i like PBS alot- especially the documentries and specials like Masterpiece Theatre or the PBS reality shows (GO frontie House! ^^).

Thanks alot for that facsinating info.

-(also known as) Chinagirl223

04.19.2004, 06:42 PM Sophie is offline   Profile for Sophie Add Sophie to your buddy list AIM Screenname: SangoCatLady
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Sophie
wow. I never knew there was so much culture in that movie (actually, i knew it was based on this era in Japan before or after the war era). That is very sad that western influence was partial to the cause of those wolves' extinction.
I hope to see that special on PBS (if by chance it may still be airing). i like PBS alot- especially the documentries and specials like Masterpiece Theatre or the PBS reality shows (GO frontie House! ^^).

Thanks alot for that facsinating info.

-(also known as) Chinagirl223

The best part was its reference to a native clan, which tho may not exist, is what happened to the real natives, the ainu ppl.

Btw, i knew wolves existed in japan simply because they have a word for it in japanese. Meh.

Btw, did u know that wolf in japanese (ookami), if pronounced out, has the same sound as Oukami, which basically means big god, or elder god. (ou=big, kami=god)

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 04.26.2004, 08:56 AM.

04.26.2004, 08:54 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found that the image of sacred forest from Prince Mononoke is hauntingly similar with elf homeland in LOTR

Hehehe I digress...

07.19.2004, 08:48 PM  
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

An observation:

If anyone has the symphonic music CD, or at least know what it looks like, remember that picture well. Than watch The Last Samurai (yup, that Tom Cruise movie) and u'll see one particular scene whose mountains match almost exactly, with only the lake/river missing.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.20.2004, 07:12 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks