QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club: Full Moon eps.24-25-26
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anime Club: Full Moon eps.24-25-26 » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Anime Club: Full Moon eps.24-25-26Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll cover all three in one post. Rather nicely these form three parts of a continuing story anyway (it will probably go on beynd Ep26 as well) but I found these three really enjoyable mainly because we are right back on track with the real meat of the main storyline and because Wakaouji-sensei is now developing nicely as a more important character.

One thing bugged me about Madoka getting a contract to sing Wakaouji-sensei's old band's song and that was surely as an ex-band member he would need to be consulted as to who did cover versions of his old material, doesn't he still hold copyright on the material?

Or as this is fantasy-based anime shouldn't I worry about real world facts like that?

Its a pity the anime club didn't keep going with this one as only now do I think its starting to become something more interesting.

And Madoka - damn, she's annoying!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.22.2007, 05:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's an interesting question, but easily answered. Considering that the band is already split, the rights are in the hands of their previous producers, which is easily bought from.

Singers, as we all know, have no say on their song distribution. And you need to remember that Eternal Snow was never recorded ever; it had always been a stage-live exclusive.

Besides, singers singing other singer's songs aren't unheard of, and in fact, are getting more common these days.

I'd rather bitch about how Madoka is, well, being a bitch. I have to pity her about her producer's choice of image though (mismatch? lol).

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how you actually make a music box? I've been wanting to make one since I was a child, but obviously the parts you need can't be gotten easily, much less the building process.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.23.2007, 01:19 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its basically a clockwork mechanism that will turn a small metal drum/cylinder (rather than turn the hands of a clock). The drum will have studs on it in exactly the right place for these studs to bear down on the ends of levers which the stud will raise and then cause to drop as it passes and strike a plate that makes the note. A series of studs and levers being actuated by the revolving drum in succession produces the tune.

The box the mechanism is mounted in usually forms the soundbox (like the box body of a violin or guitar) which makes the notes sound nice.

Sadly not at all easy to make unless you have a workshop in which you can work metal (brass mostly) and you know some carpentry. Your best bet is to get hold of an old cheap one and dismantle it and see how its made.

Next thing would be to get an old clock mechanism maybe and see if it can be modified.

Usually the music boxes you buy in places like souvenier shops will have the mechanisms mass produced in places like China and the box body made locally by craftsmen or even local cheap labour. Rarely if ever will one craftsman make both mechanism and box, as its two different crafts/disciplines and you'd end up with a very expensive product.

There must be a bunch of websites Google might reveal.

And yeah, I'm turning into a rabid Madoka hater. Like what is her problem exactly? Can't she get a life and carve herself her own career?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.23.2007, 06:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A low rpm engine is all that's really needed, plus the comb. The problem; I'm hoping to make one with a REALLY long melody, not a 5-second loop. And one that doesn't suffer from starting in the middle of the song.

Woodwork I can figure out somehow. While I'm lousy in the imagination department, I'm good with tools.

On Madoka: One reason why I don't understand girls. No offence to our ladies, but meh, I've seen them in action.

The rivalry kinda reminds me of Fushigi Yuugi in a way.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 07.24.2007, 01:22 AM.

07.24.2007, 01:14 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller remember that Eternal Snow was never recorded ever; it had always been a stage-live exclusive.

Which is more reason why its copyright would be held by the ex-band members, since no record company would hold the muisc/lyrics in their files? Something the band just played live wouldn't have gone anywhere near the record company - there was no need for it to? I really think this is a techy loophole the story writers haven't seen but as its a fantasy series I can ignore it and it doesn't dent the enjoyment.

As to music boxes (whoa, wacky thread or what?) yeah, a low rpm engine or a lot of down gearing would do. If it was run electrically which is what I assume you mean then the person playing it would have to switch it off at the end of the song. Unless you're into electronics and can rig a timer cut-off?

As to song length, most good music boxes will give you 30 seconds of tune and most music box tunes are cyclical for very obvious reasons. I think in the Victorian era some huge mechanical music machines were made that could play tunes lasting several minutes. I think these were fairground machines mounted on horse drawn wagons and would be 'run' by those punched paper systems. Rather complex for the casual enthusiast though.

07.24.2007, 06:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I'm not doing anything that mixes modern technology with art. The wind-up key was an especially romantic idea, and I'm not replacing that with batteries like the music boxes these days.

yeah I'm an old-fashioned guy, so sue me.

Maybe I can take apart one of those clockwork toys from McDonald's or something. Times like these I really wish I was back in school so I can use the workshop.

On the song, hey, if it was never copyrighted (being a stage-exclusive, maybe) that would explain greatly. Seen in slightly greater detail in the manga, Route L is closer to an Indie band than a commercial one. Concerts or whatever notwithstanding, they really are only interested in making music and nothing else.

And it doesn't help that Aoi (Mitsuki's father) was slightly eccentric.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.26.2007, 12:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks