QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Byousoku 5cm
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Byousoku 5cm Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Byousoku 5cmPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

3/4 through the movie, I remembered about Voices of a Distant Star and A Promised Place, and realized that Shinkai never liked closed ending, or happy endings for that matter, in his shows.

Yeah, it shows here.

I didn't cry. I wanted to.

It doesn't matter.

Shinkai did it again; he gave me a heavy heart.

And frustation.

It's a great show. I don't deny it.

But...

I hate how he gave me the same despair the main character feels.

It's a story of their distance. Go figure how that would make you feel.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 08.01.2007, 01:51 AM.

08.01.2007, 01:51 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Strangely I like movies like that, although I think I detected a happy ending in Distant Star and definitely a happy ending in Place Promised.

Sitting here waiting for a Byousoku sub now.

Oh, and nice sig.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.01.2007, 04:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually planned on watching it at night, but decided I couldn't wait, since it's not very long anyway.

Yea I kinda regretted the decision, especially since I had uniformed groups training later at my alma mater. I just felt so frustated and in despair, you know, and it didn't help that I listened to the theme song on my way to school.

And I'm still feeling it now. I probably won't wtch it again for a while. I watched Oukashou (the Yahoo! Japan version) trice, and cried the first time, and almost did the other two times. And all on the same scene; when Akari cried while holding on to Tohno's coat.

Other than that, well, must be because it was midday that I didn't feel any tears well up during the rest of the movie. But damn it gave my one helluva heavy heart.

Sig was a 5-minute job. Rough, but has the effect I wanted, lol.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 08.01.2007, 09:43 AM.

08.01.2007, 09:40 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally got a chance to watch all 3 chapters.

honestly I thought the stories were too weak and somewhat repetitive. makoto's a great and all but i think it's time that he stop his 1-man show and join a studio or something. He's already proved his point, now's the time to work with diff ppl and change styles.

08.17.2007, 01:58 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, if you check out the staff for Byousoku 5cm, he stopped his 1-man show already:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclop...ime.php?id=6696

Granted, it's not much, but still..

Post last edited by Theowne on 08.17.2007, 02:01 PM.

08.17.2007, 02:01 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

alright fair enough, but he needs a writer lol

like brad bird

I'm just tired of stories about emo highschool students.

08.17.2007, 02:05 PM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's like telling Miyazaki to stop doing fantasy

It's his signature style, and admit it, he's best at that.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.18.2007, 12:07 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Agreed. I can't imagine Satoshi Kon making a movie that doesn't mess with my head. Each director has his signature and long may Shinkai mess with my emotions.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.18.2007, 05:09 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
oginochihiro
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.22.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oginochihiro Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've wanted to watch this for a while, but really, I can't seem to find it where I can just stream. I guess I'm going to have to download it.

08.22.2007, 08:42 PM oginochihiro is offline   Profile for oginochihiro Add oginochihiro to your buddy list Homepage of oginochihiro
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah...
where did yu guys get it?
is it out on dvd yet? (in japan, with subs).
Also, I love your sig oginochihiro.

08.24.2007, 07:14 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

It's out on DVD, yes, but no subs.

FYI very few releases in Japan actually contain subs. Ghibli DVDs are a rare exception.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.24.2007, 09:52 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah ok thanks.

Kanta sent me Oukasshou (or something like that), the cherry blossom one, with a separate fansub file.
I didnt watch it, I wanted to enjoy them all together in their glory.

08.25.2007, 10:12 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

You're not missing much. IMO the first one is the best.

Besides, it's a collection, not a movie per se.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.25.2007, 11:17 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

YO!

yeah I know..
but still, oyu know what I mean.
If they're released together in some way thats important.
It aways is.
The order, how they fit together.
I know they're not related, but oyu know what I mean.

08.26.2007, 11:03 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Are the three shorts about the same boy and girl?

08.26.2007, 01:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Are the three shorts about the same boy and girl?

Yes. Not in the way that the first one is. But they are all related.

Personally I think people should watch all three sections.

Post last edited by Theowne on 08.26.2007, 02:35 PM.

08.26.2007, 02:28 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Actually, no. The second one barely touches on Akari. In fact, the main character isn't even the boy; it's another girl totally from Hiroshima, his new home.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.26.2007, 11:30 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Which is why I said "not in the way the first one is".

However all of the shorts are related to the story in the first short. The comments in this thread imply to the newcomer that it's a collection of unrelated clips which is untrue.

08.26.2007, 11:43 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Loscil
Baron

Yes, I know Im sorry about that.
What I meant to say is, at least as I had heard, that they also happen to work as stand alone episodes.

08.27.2007, 08:31 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Theowne
Baron

Yeah, they could, they're not related in an immediate sense. But I think the general question people would have is, "do the second two clips continue the story of the first one (versus, are they just unrelated shorts)". And the answer is yes they do continue it, even if it doesn't do it bluntly.

08.27.2007, 11:57 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks