QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club: Boogiepop Phantom eps.1-2-3
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anime Club: Boogiepop Phantom eps.1-2-3 » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Anime Club: Boogiepop Phantom eps.1-2-3Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here's the thread to discuss the first three episodes, maybe we'll take it slow to begin with and focus on ep.1. So, take it away guys n gals.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.03.2007, 08:13 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gah! I haven't got round to watching it yet, but it's on my list for today. Been bogged down with uni/bank stuff, so i'll probably end up watching it at like 12.

In retrospect this post seems pointless.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I've just finished watching episode 1 and 2 and I have to say I'm intrigued. I definitely like the style of the anime, and the sound is very original and seems to fit in perfect with the visuals, which are equally good. However, I was a bit concerned with how the show started, it seemed to echo Serial Experiments Lain a lot, luckily that's lost in the second episode though.

The concepts in the second episode I thought was interesting. (The bug thing), although it seemed to drag on a bit. At the moment the series seems to give you little infomation and the expand on that, which I always like in things, although I don't know if this will go through on the series at such an early point.

It's interesting to see where it goes though.

I'll probably watch the next one tommorrow.

Post last edited by frigidchill on 09.03.2007, 06:35 PM.

09.03.2007, 09:43 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just watched ep.1 and loved it. As you said frigidchill it feels a lot like SEL and the art style is great, the whole feel of it is very claustrophobic which feeling is reinforced by the main character who is shy, withdrawn, confused and suffers from OCD. I liked the realistic face style and the use of plain characters rather than pretty or good looking ones.

There seems to be three threads running in this - the Bug on Moto's heart (and the boy who sensed it) - the various mysterious deaths and - the person who killed the Saotomo clone(?) who tells us that a creature or creatures are taking the form of dead people in order to feed on the living (and only the obsessed and fatalistic/hopeless living such as Moto herself?). I got the impression that Saotome was killed by the same sort of creature since he too had 'given up' on life after his break up with Moto's friend.

I really liked the Moto character, she reminds me a lot of a character I'm writing at the moment, very withdrawn and shy and awkward.

I'll watch ep.2 tomorrow and ep.3 on Friday.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 09.05.2007, 06:18 PM.

09.05.2007, 06:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just watched ep.2. This is feeling like a mixture now of SEL (the general design and art style) and Paranoia Agent by the fact that the two episodes have focused on two different main characters but they are linked. Its definitely interesting and rather dark, will defintely be watching more.

09.07.2007, 12:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, until the end of the first episode, I felt it was exactly the same as SEL. The character design wasn't quite to my liking, but I did like the black haze round the edges.

One line seemed quite odd, I must say. I don't know whether it was bad subbing or if it was originally intended for comic effect. "Let me know if you want me to grope your chest." As it seems like a very serious anime, humour shouldn't be coming out of nowhere like that, surely?

The guy that was talking about the bug thing was intriguing. The things he said, the certainty with which he said them, and the fact that he didn't appear again.

09.08.2007, 04:42 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Watch ep.2, he is the main character for that episode in the way Moto was the main character for episode one, and very nicely we get to see that same scene from his POV, knowing what he knows, then the 'grope your chest' line has a completely different meaning. Its very nicely done.

I think in ep.1 that line was said that way for 2 reasons: to shock the viewer a little a it was just so out of place, and to shock Moto - the boy was trying to jog her out of her condition - the second reason may have been the boy himself trying to drag up some typical "boyness" and maybe communicate with Moto on a more normal level.

Had I been him in that situation I wouldn't have said it because he actually NEEDS to do what he's saying and surely he can tell she's a shy repressed person who would be alarmed by his suggestion... so yes it both works and fails.

09.08.2007, 05:20 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'm just about to start episode 2 actually, so I'll see what you mean soon enough.

edit: I've watched it now. I preferred it to episode one, as it moved away from the SEL style a bit more. That character is really complicated, and I liked the way that things tied in. One problem I had with both episodes, though, is that in flashbacks it's difficult to tell who's who.

Also, by a weird coincidence, as the episode title "Light in Darkness" came up, I had a Word document open named "A Light in Darkness". Strange, no?

Post last edited by arren18 on 09.08.2007, 07:14 AM.

09.08.2007, 05:29 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ooh, strange. *goosebumps*.

Episode 3 I enjoyed less, although I'm sure it will mean more later. Again a third character is involved but I felt less sympathy for this girl. There also seems to be "Boogiepop" (aka death) who goes around looking like a Jewish Priestess with bizarre headgear and another high school senior who has taken on the mantle of investigator or defender of the various high school kids who are mixed up with this dark force.

"Boogiepop" seems to be a goodie in that she is trying to save the living from this dark force that has taken the form of the first boy but as yet I'm still confused.

I'm surprised there is no police activity, there have been four or five disappearances of school kids plus a lot of damage caused in the first incident so it bothers me that in modern Tokyo the series does not even mention a police investigation.

09.09.2007, 09:49 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
frigidchill
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've just watched the third episode, and again it's focused on another character like you said Saddletank. It looks like it will play out as a bunch of smaller stories revolving around the first episode. (Did the train stop in the first episode, or did I imagine that?)

I like the way this series portrays emotions, reminds me why I like anime. The subject of the episode, the girl, trying to come to terms with living and being helped by her friend, then failing at almost the first step, is the kind of story that's not touched on in other TV. I'm still clueless as to what Panura was though. An alter ego? A person? A theory?

At least we got to see the serial killer in this though. I can't wait to see where this chap ties in with everything.

Watch the next one tommorrow.

09.12.2007, 07:01 PM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hm, I need to watch ep.3 again, it seemed to pack a lot in and yes Panuru (sp?) was not explained well. I'm thinking she is either that girls alter ego or another child who died a while ago and who haunts her...

The end ing was a bit grim wasn't it?

BTW I like you new avatar now, it males me want to talk to you more... can't think why... a little more approachable than Meat Cleaver Osaka...

Post last edited by Saddletank on 09.12.2007, 07:26 PM.

09.12.2007, 07:25 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
frigidchill
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Hm, I need to watch ep.3 again, it seemed to pack a lot in and yes Panuru (sp?) was not explained well. I'm thinking she is either that girls alter ego or another child who died a while ago and who haunts her...

The end ing was a bit grim wasn't it?

BTW I like you new avatar now, it males me want to talk to you more... can't think why... a little more approachable than Meat Cleaver Osaka...

Heh, It's weird how avatars have that effect.

Ok, so I still aint got round to watching the next few. Too much food and alcohol me thinks.

isn't it time to make a new thread?

09.13.2007, 06:11 PM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
arren18
Administrator

Just watched episode 3. Whoa. It's really confusing, isn't it? Incidentally, I like the way the episodes are split into "scenes" of varying length.

09.15.2007, 09:16 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I need to watch ep.3 again. I had trouble with it. Who Panuru was and what happened in the car park(?) when Boogiepop spoke with the girl - and then I presume after that the girl was (raped and?) murdered in the alley? That was just so disjointed and bizarre.

09.15.2007, 11:44 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, I didn't really get it. I hope things will make more sense in time.

09.15.2007, 12:07 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks