QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Classic Disney Cartoons
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Classic Disney Cartoons » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh my goodness! I loved watching disney. Beauty and the Beast was one of my favourite disney's ever, except for the ending. Is it just me, or would it not have been great if he stayed a beast? Oh and Lion King: classic.

Also, Fantasia (2000, I think), the part with the whales, sooo pretty. Yes, I will love Fantasia forever.

As for sequels, I don't bother watching disney sequels anymore. I watched Cinderella 2 and it basically killed Cinderella for me, not that I was much of a fan beforehand.

09.11.2007, 11:18 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Well, plugging any green issue has to be good, right?

Not when it's plugged into a movie as horrifying as Happy Feet.

*shudders*

that was the gist of my post ye..

09.14.2007, 07:21 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked happy feet.

09.14.2007, 07:30 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
T.C.
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

some people will, some people wont i guess.
Have you seen anything about the new movie 'Surfs Up'?? Talking penguins as main characters... now where do you think they got that idea...?
When i first saw the preview, in which the penguins are walking about and surfing on a hot beach, the first thing that came to mind was Billy Madison...
"It's to damn hot for a penguin to just be.. walking around!"

09.17.2007, 10:55 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Moroko
Tanuki

Registration Date: 10.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Moroko Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Originally posted by Saddletank

quote:
Disneys earlier movies were animals of their time and pandered to the (conservative) social ideals of their day with weak helpless heroines and dashing combatitive heroes. In the post-war era this was the material people wanted to see. You can't have a family-oriented animation studio who want to make big bucks rock the boat at all. Not in the MacCarthy and Kennedy eras.

I acctually heard a lecture last year in my American History class that made a pretty believeable argument that Snow White is entierly an allusion to pagan and egyptian goddesses. Whether that's true or not we can only guess, but wouldn't it be cool if Disney were actually rocking the boat right under all our inocent noses.

quote:
Once you accept that all the matter in the universe can be compressed to the size of a push pin, it isn't hard to wear stripes with plad.
Albert Einstine

A distraction

09.17.2007, 11:21 PM Moroko is offline   Profile for Moroko Add Moroko to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
I liked happy feet.

Sad Hands . . .

09.17.2007, 11:43 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
some people will, some people wont i guess.
Have you seen anything about the new movie 'Surfs Up'?? Talking penguins as main characters... now where do you think they got that idea...?
When i first saw the preview, in which the penguins are walking about and surfing on a hot beach, the first thing that came to mind was Billy Madison...
"It's to damn hot for a penguin to just be.. walking around!"

first penguin movie was madagascar....

09.18.2007, 05:08 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, but Madagascar wasn't solely about penguins.

Disney/Pixar and Dreamworks have always copied each other. The thing is, they used to copy in such a way that each was a decent film in its own right. Sadly, this is no longer the case.

09.18.2007, 12:04 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

Over the hedge was a complete piece of shit.
as was shrek 3.
Which was a pity, as both 1 and 2 were brilliant, in my opinion.

09.18.2007, 12:12 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, Over The Hedge was much better than I had expected. It wasn't clever, it wasn't technically impressive, but it was a laugh if nothing else.

09.18.2007, 12:53 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

I had low expectations and i absolutely hated it.

09.18.2007, 01:14 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Fair enough. I had low expectations and I thought it was okay.

09.18.2007, 01:50 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

IT was more or less whenI realised that 3D animation had become a normal and widespread form of entertainment. I mean.. so far, it seemed to me as if all the CG movies were huge studio things and, when theres only one a year, you expect it to be good.
And that was when i realised that it was like normal movies.
Theres soo many, that theres also crap ones.
Up to that point, I think I had liked every CG movie.

09.18.2007, 02:12 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, I know. Now they can make them so easily, they just churn out CG like they used to do with normal cartoons.

09.18.2007, 02:39 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think animation was ever something that could be "churned out" until now. Before advanced computer technology, animation was a very painstaking process, and as a result, most animated films were of higher quality.

But now, since it's become so comparatively easy to make an animated film, they have become more and more common, and of lower and lower quality.

09.18.2007, 06:17 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thats true for a lot of half-ass, rushed, low budget stuff out there on TV, but there is a lot of high quality, well budgeted, 'GOOD' stuff out there aswell

09.18.2007, 06:37 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, why is it that seemingly all of the CG films nowadays come out at around the same time with extremely similar characters and settings.

There have been several animal escapes from the zoo, a couple of penguin movies, and in addition to shrek, another fairytale mash-up (though I cannot recall the name)

Pixar seems to be the only studio that is still original with it's CG films.

09.18.2007, 10:24 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

but pixar still works in conjunction with disney in alot of stuff.

Even the small amount of digital animation in Howls was noticeable on secondary viewings.

Post last edited by T.C. on 09.19.2007, 06:01 AM.

09.19.2007, 06:01 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
I don't think animation was ever something that could be "churned out" until now. Before advanced computer technology, animation was a very painstaking process, and as a result, most animated films were of higher quality.

But now, since it's become so comparatively easy to make an animated film, they have become more and more common, and of lower and lower quality.

I was meaning that in recent years they had been making all kinds of awful films in the traditional cartoon style, which is what they're now doing with CG.

An example of a CG movie that was a rip-off and still good is Antz. Because the style is completely different (and the humour suprisingly adult), it works very well.

09.19.2007, 12:05 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks