QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Musical Instruments..?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Musical Instruments..? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah same here, i started off on the piano but never really learned how to read proper sheet music

09.24.2007, 09:32 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sight-reading takes effort but when you reach a good level, than that opens up a whole new world, being able to play anything you can find sheet music for, is a very amazing ability. Just think, you hear a tune that you like, all you have to do is print out the sheet music and you can play it.

Post last edited by Theowne on 09.24.2007, 09:37 PM.

09.24.2007, 09:37 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

that makes sense
but if u havnt learned sheet music, the way u learn is by listing to other music.
kinda like math, u can solve the equation the right way or use trial and error.

sorry i suck at explaining things

09.24.2007, 09:44 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
if you really want to play then having it in your room or somewhere you walk past all the time you will start playing

Not recommended with woodwinds... you'll have to take it apart and clean it every time you play

But great for strings. That's why I like strings better.

09.24.2007, 11:31 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm hopeless with strings. That is to say, I never practice with them (I have a violin...such a waste. I should learn to play it) so I suck. It requires a lot time though and I'm not really a music playing person.

09.24.2007, 11:34 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd love to play the paino or keyboard, but I don't have a piano or a keyboard...actually there's a piano at my house, but since I don't live there it doesn't do me much good.

09.24.2007, 11:40 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
if you really want to play then having it in your room or somewhere you walk past all the time you will start playing

Not recommended with woodwinds... you'll have to take it apart and clean it every time you play

But great for strings. That's why I like strings better.

i was speaking from experience and my experience is with strings so your probably right..

i just dont see playing as a chore or soemthing i should do, i enjoy it so i will play whenever i can and i suppose if that meant cleaning frequently too i would do that aswell.

09.29.2007, 04:13 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
06piperj
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.29.07
i play the trumpetPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by 06piperj Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
I play piano and saxophone pretty well, and I'm learning violin. A little bit of everything, really.

09.29.2007, 06:32 AM 06piperj is offline   Profile for 06piperj Add 06piperj to your buddy list
nausicaa_jublia
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.19.06
  ....Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nausicaa_jublia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I play Double bass and piano

07.03.2008, 07:37 AM nausicaa_jublia is offline   Profile for nausicaa_jublia Add nausicaa_jublia to your buddy list
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been playing guitar for as long as I can remember. (I remember getting it for christmas but I don't know how old I was) It was a great little thing, still have it.

I'm self taught so I've basically taken the long and hard way round everything and I'm focusing more on acoustic now, simply because it's easier to carry about and play.

07.03.2008, 10:15 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Seiji
You don't really play the violin? Gasp!

I play an Indian drum called "tablas"... that's all though. Has anyone ever heard of them? Umm... http://www.buckinghammusic.com/tabla/abouttabla.html
There's a link with a rather unfantastic picture and back ground.

07.03.2008, 04:11 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gigantic_red_bow {Kiki}
I play an Indian drum called "tablas"... that's all though. Has anyone ever heard of them? Umm... http://www.buckinghammusic.com/tabla/abouttabla.html

I had heard of them, but never really seen or noticed them...

IMO, the fact that a person can make music, period, is an accomplishment to be admired, even if it is only an empty, upturned coffee can..

I play my guitar strictly for my own amusement. I enjoy playing tunes like Beethoven's "Ode to Joy", "Sounds of Silence" "Downtown", "Scarborough Fair" "Frere Jacques" and many others...

I'll play for awhile then stop for a time before taking it back up again. I only play single note melodies for the most part because of an injury to the tip of my right forefinger. It is all squishy internally and not firm enough to press the strings properly although I compensate somewhat. It makes it a little difficult to play with the chords, but I try occasionally.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.04.2008, 10:47 AM.

07.04.2008, 10:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gigantic_red_bow {Kiki}
@Seiji
You don't really play the violin? Gasp!

Yes. I can play them as well, as well as another Indian drum, the mridangam. I'm interested in all kinds of world music, but the Indian musical system is easily the most intricate and interesting, apart from the European one. And their instruments are the most well developed apart from Western ones.

07.06.2008, 07:49 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You play tablas as well? Yaaaaaaaay! Happiness! I was playing them a second ago, actually, attempting at this annoying "tukra"... yay! Yay! Yay!!!!!!!!!! Happiness! Wahoo! I am happy, obviously, yaay!

07.06.2008, 07:56 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i have a uke but i don't understand the tabs on the net cause i only know the c,d,g,f,and alll that jazz can anyone help.
i'm trying to learn no surprises by radio head.

07.07.2008, 06:48 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im in the process of trying to acquire a guitar, my friend at work is going to teach me how to read guitar tabs and ill go from there.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.07.2008, 07:03 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
AnimeFlute
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.07.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by AnimeFlute Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been playing the flute for a while, and I can play a bit of saxaphone, clarinet, piano, double bass, recorder and cello i love music!!!!!!

07.07.2008, 09:49 PM AnimeFlute is offline   Profile for AnimeFlute Add AnimeFlute to your buddy list Send an Email to AnimeFlute
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ive extended myself outside of my fairly comfortable area of strings just recently and bought a blues harp. its fun, but not like anything ive ever played before and often a good sound requires some subtlety that only comes from practice.
just been listening to heaps of bob dylan, bo diddley and muddy waters to get me started. anyone else play harmonica at all?

quote:
Originally posted by Miyrru
Im in the process of trying to acquire a guitar, my friend at work is going to teach me how to read guitar tabs and ill go from there.

tabs are very easy.. you just need to catch onto a couple of things, like which order the strings are in etc, and then your all set. i still refuse to learn to read music and could only name half the chords i can play. Good luck!

Post last edited by T.C. on 07.13.2008, 02:42 AM.

07.13.2008, 02:39 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
ja
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.14.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ja Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I play violin, viola, saxophone, clarinet, piano, guitar...
I still learn to play other instruments

Why so much stress?
Don't you have gains to get?
We all do, even you!
And the more you seek
The more you find, then
Love, night and rain - life is good
So try to luck and kill the pain
Tell me, do you always think you have no worth?
Find it in yourself!

05.24.2011, 11:24 AM ja is offline   Profile for ja Add ja to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I suppose that I could add electric chord organ to my (ahem) accomplishments... lol

I've owned a few over the years and much of the music sheets that I used for that, I now use for guitar... not much difference.

05.26.2011, 08:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks