QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - AKIRA
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » AKIRA » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

people,he was just saying what he thought

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

10.03.2007, 06:55 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I'd have to say that "i thought the whole thing was completely off with the fairys" doesn't really give any insight into what anybody thinks, since it carries no explanation.

My friend got this for his birthday the other day, so I'm likely to see it at some point in the fairly near future. I'm not certain about how much I'll like it, but it's something I'd like to see anyway. After all, I want to know what all the fuss is about.

10.03.2007, 11:36 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Akira is my favourite anime that i dont really like. there are points, the bike racing was sweet. but there are others that annoyed me. saddles alluded to the near rape scene, i have to agree that was a wth? moment.

but it has to be considered in the discussion of best anime film of all time. it did things that were unprecedented at the time. It is right creepy and crazy, but it was good. now i wouldnt want to watch it often, but i saw it twice, that was plenty.

i would put it in the 'big three' of anime films, alongs with ghost in the shell 1 and jin roh. they are very similar, but all superb.

arren18, go watch it, it is a must watch, you dont really have to like it, but you gotta see it. it is an important step in the history of anime.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.03.2007, 03:29 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan it is an important step in the history of anime.
That's the best 10-word summary that Akira deserves, and the only summary that any fine anime needs. More amazing stuff has been done since by Miyazaki Hayao, Makoto Shinkai and Satoshi Kon but in its day it was the peak of its art form, dubious content or not, and rightfully so.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 10.03.2007, 05:06 PM.

10.03.2007, 05:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i must see this.a new misc video by some rapper is based on akira,i think the rapping insults it though.i hate rap.

10.03.2007, 07:33 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i thought i was ok
the animation was good yes but
i know it deals with themes to do with puberty and all that but some of the stuff in the movie made me think that you'd have to be on somthing strong to start animating blue people, guts falling out of someones stomach, bloated octopus guy's .

but i did like the motor bike drags and stuff and the animation still looks as good now as it did nearly twenty years ago.

it's just my own oppinion OK !!!!!!!!

10.04.2007, 12:10 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

yes,the movie does seem to have srtong points.

10.04.2007, 12:38 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Supergaijin
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.21.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Supergaijin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen AKIRA maybe 3-4 times. I think it deserves the recognition it's gained. The motorbike chase scene is still one of my favorite anime action scenes. The streaking light affect was brilliant.

I'm pretty sure the reason it's so popular is because of the shock value it had. This was back in 1988. The media went crazy when Elvis shook his pelvis on screen. Pretty much the same thing with AKIRA (girl getting crushed by a giant physic half machine mutating killer baby!?)

Now just imagine if Neon Genesis Evangelion came out in 1988.

"The man studied economics, but he never studied happiness."

"Shizuki... will you marry me!?"

Post last edited by Supergaijin on 10.04.2007, 03:10 AM.

10.04.2007, 03:09 AM Supergaijin is offline   Profile for Supergaijin Add Supergaijin to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

man,that woulda bin interesting...

10.04.2007, 03:29 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
JanJosé
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JanJosé Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

[IMG]http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:mAupvzR1W6BdYM:http://www.plasticbamboo.com/wp/wp/wp-co...akira-kanye.jpg[/IMG]
Mar, the trax called Stronger and it's by Kanye West, look for it,personally im a fan tho

10.04.2007, 07:00 AM JanJosé is offline   Profile for JanJosé Add JanJosé to your buddy list Send an Email to JanJosé
harmony-of-mar
Baron

i know its by him,i just didnt feel like remembering it at the time... 8]

10.04.2007, 07:02 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Supergaijin

The media went crazy when Elvis shook his pelvis on screen. Pretty much the same thing with AKIRA (girl getting crushed by a giant physic half machine mutating killer baby!?)

that is exactly the comparison i had in mind...
thankyou for stating that as now i can get the image of a man in tight bright jumpsuits thrusting out of my head.

10.05.2007, 07:44 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

oh great,spike,youve got it in my head now!argh!
train heartnet,train heartnet.....

10.05.2007, 06:04 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks