QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - AKIRA
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » AKIRA » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
JanJosé
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.28.07
AKIRAPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JanJosé Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

what do y'all think of Akira?

09.28.2007, 05:17 AM JanJosé is offline   Profile for JanJosé Add JanJosé to your buddy list Send an Email to JanJosé
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually think it is a little overrated but it still holds a well-deserved place in the anime hall of fame. Its a movie every anime fan must watch at least once.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.28.2007, 07:53 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its the Pete Rose of all a fame entries, a great accomplishment, but doesnt sit well with all people.

quick history lesson: Pete Rose has the most hits in MLB history, but he got kicked out of the hall of fame when he was betting on games while he was coaching an MLB team.

I saw it twice, it was good, but not great imo. i like Jin roh much more than Akira.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.28.2007, 11:25 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked it for the first hour..
its a classic, cant argue with that. i saw it after i first got into Ghibli as my initial research into the anime world... but it just wasnt something i enjoyed anhywhere near as much as other anime.

09.30.2007, 01:03 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i found it disturbing

09.30.2007, 11:26 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes it's meant to do that to you I think.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.01.2007, 07:48 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Farren
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

especially the children chanthe AAA AAA AAA AKIRA

10.01.2007, 09:12 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i havent seen it yet,though i read the summary and found it mildly unsettling.i think it makes some people uncomfortable cos it secretly addresses issues about every day life i.e gangs,violence,experimentation,and that kid having those uncontrolable powers apparently said stuff about teenagers having truoble coping with puberty.wth?

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

10.02.2007, 02:04 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by harmony-of-mar
i havent seen it yet,though i read the summary and found it mildly unsettling.i think it makes some people uncomfortable cos it secretly addresses issues about every day life i.e gangs,violence,experimentation,and that kid having those uncontrolable powers apparently said stuff about teenagers having truoble coping with puberty.wth?

anime directors often express concern in regard to the future of society in movies. They are the bits i liked, i got annoyed at the more unrealistic stuff like when Tetsou started expanding..

Post last edited by T.C. on 10.02.2007, 06:16 AM.

10.02.2007, 06:15 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It was the first non-Ghibli anime I ever watched. And the (near) rape scene totally freaked me out. I went: "Whaa...? This is a cartoon!?" Heh, of course I had no idea what anime was about then...

10.02.2007, 07:12 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it's extremely violent. How bad is it, really? I can usually handle violence pretty well, but it depends on how the violence is portrayed.

10.02.2007, 08:09 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I hardly noticed the violence, there is not much. I think the worst is a running battle between biker gangs where some guys get hit by lengths of metal pipe while riding at speed and get hurled off their bikes.

The near-rape scene isn't nice - there is nudity but it stops before anything really nasty.

The worst thing for me was the depiction of a bunch of kids who are total delinquents, from an inner city school they care nothing for education or authority and waste their lives making a nuisance of themselves on their motor bikes, that whole "youth going to hell and they just don't care" thing is pretty depressing.

I've seen far worse violence in say, Perfect Blue or Blood: The Last Vampire.

10.02.2007, 11:51 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really liked Akira.
The bike race scene is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

Those kids just freak m out.
I dont really like them.

10.02.2007, 11:57 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah,i saw the bike scene,pretty brilliant.im looking out for the movie,but im not particulary desparate like i am with the conqueror of shamballa.

10.03.2007, 12:03 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Farren
Baron

i thought the whole thing was completely off with the fairys

10.03.2007, 12:32 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

farren,if we were all in the same room im sure those other fans would have thrown several sharp pointy things right now.....sharp pointy things and sango from inuyashas giant boomerang.

10.03.2007, 12:35 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Farren
Baron

i posted me own opinion that's all

sango sucks naraku and seshomaru are way better

10.03.2007, 12:54 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

miroku rocks i spose i do like sessamaru though.

10.03.2007, 01:00 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well given the critical acclaim Akira has earned over the years, there is no way it can be 'off with the fairies'. It has considerable depth to it on several levels.

First the artwork is stunning and innovative. This was 1988 remember. Look at other anime that were around at that time. Forget all the neat clever CGI you are used to these days, back in the 100% hand drawn days Akira was quite simply way ahead of anything else then produced, with the possible exception of Ghibli but even the late 80s Ghibli movies were generally gentle things, Akira was fast paced, fast action, violent and self assured.

Second the storyline is typical Japanese post-atomic holocaust material, the Japanese depict cities engulfed in destructive forces often in anime, but in Akira's cae the uncontrolled forces came not from a war but from inside the head of a boy, this this movie depicts fears that society itself is out of control and bent on self destruction.

Forget the vast bloated chaotic boy a the end, think of what that symbol MEANS. Its a metaphor.

People might think Alice in Wonderland or Gullivers Travels are 'off with the fairies'. They'd be wrong about that too. Social and political warning messages have come to us through the arts for centuries. Akira does what it does extremenly well and is great entertainment into the bargain.

10.03.2007, 04:37 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
JanJosé
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JanJosé Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its one of very few films to get and desserve both critical acclaim and box office success, I dont think anime gets the box office success it desserves usually

10.03.2007, 06:31 AM JanJosé is offline   Profile for JanJosé Add JanJosé to your buddy list Send an Email to JanJosé
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks