QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Is Porco Rosso any good?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Is Porco Rosso any good? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.10.04
  Is Porco Rosso any good?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E-Master Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm really interested in seeing this movie when it gets it's DVD release.

What are your thoughts on this movie?

08.13.2004, 12:18 AM E-Master is offline   Profile for E-Master Add E-Master to your buddy list Homepage of E-Master AIM Screenname: emasterslake
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anything by Miyazaki is excellent. 'Nuff said.

Its a simple story actually, just about rivalry between two pirates and one or two belles in the middle. Main story is, of course, about Marco (Porco Rosso is italian for Crimson Pig i think, juz so u know), a WWII pilot who was cursed to be a pig. Not that he complains about it, nor do other ppl really care.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.14.2004, 03:52 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
E-Master
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.10.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E-Master Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The movie looks funny from the screenshots I looked at. I heard Porco Rosso is vocied by Micheal Keaton in the English Debut.

once I get the DVD I'll post another topic about it.

I bet I'll like. Since I'm starting to like Miyazaki Movies.

08.22.2004, 10:15 PM E-Master is offline   Profile for E-Master Add E-Master to your buddy list Homepage of E-Master AIM Screenname: emasterslake
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
Porco Rosso is good ...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually it's not a WW2 pilot, but ex-WW1 one. The action in this movie takes place in the between wars period ... although it's not 100% historical, since Miyazaki loves to use real facts and objects the way he wants ...

I think it's a very funny and amusing movie, but I agree it's rather simple in it's plot. Somehow 'Laputa' or 'Princess Mononoke' are much more sophisticated and rich.

As said, anything about Miyazaki is simply great ... Ghibli is a seal of quality by itself.

08.28.2004, 01:55 PM  
PHILIPNORTON42
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.13.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PHILIPNORTON42 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, as Myazaki films go I was a little disapointed at the end of this.

The film is great, with the typical amazing animation and characters that I love.

But it's almost as if he gets to the end of the film, before realising that he only has a few minutes left, at which point he just stops the film and ties up a couple of loose ends.

Could have been better, but was still a joy to watch.

10.13.2004, 07:30 AM PHILIPNORTON42 is offline   Profile for PHILIPNORTON42 Add PHILIPNORTON42 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by PHILIPNORTON42 But it's almost as if he gets to the end of the film, before realising that he only has a few minutes left, at which point he just stops the film and ties up a couple of loose ends.

Actually, its a common problem with all his films in general. Almost all ghibli films, in fact, has the same problem

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.17.2004, 06:41 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
baka-chan
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 12.19.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by baka-chan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Actually, its a common problem with all his films in general. Almost all ghibli films, in fact, has the same problem

i noticed that also. I wuld have liked to see more of the end of Laputa. It seemed a bit rushed at the end. Mononoke also couldve been expanded on a little at the end. In Spirited Away, I dont think at the end they showed exactly what Haku did, though they somewhat explained it.

12.20.2004, 04:25 PM baka-chan is offline   Profile for baka-chan Add baka-chan to your buddy list Send an Email to baka-chan AIM Screenname: ChnBaka YIM Screenname: bakachan11111111222222333333
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

U know, according to my friend who works in japan sometimes (he shuttles between america and japan), this type of ending isnt that uncommon for japanese movies. Apparently, its their style of movie making, so ppl like us who have been watching nothing but Hollywood and disney movies would feel somewhat shortchanged.

But don't take my word (or his) for it, ive seen plenty of japanese films and usually its the older films that has this traits.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

12.23.2004, 09:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've heard rumors from different sources that this film has some of the best voicework yet for a Ghibli film translated by Disney. Even if not, I still can't wait to see this flick. It looks very good to me.

01.07.2005, 12:22 AM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  porco endingPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've just been watching porco rosso once again, and since you're talking about the ending (which I find great) I wanted to ask a question. Does anybody knows what fio really says and the very end of the movie? In the french dub she says something like "and Gina's gambling has become our secret" meaning she never heard of porco again but I have a subtitled version in which she says "and it's became our secret that Gina won her gamble" !?! If someone knows something please let me know thanks

01.07.2005, 05:21 PM  
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  porco endingPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've just been watching porco rosso once again, and since you're talking about the ending (which I find great) I wanted to ask a question. Does anybody knows what fio really says and the very end of the movie? In the french dub she says something like "and Gina's gambling has become our secret" meaning she never heard of porco again but I have a subtitled version in which she says "and it's became our secret that Gina won her gamble" !?! If someone knows something please let me know thanks

01.07.2005, 05:22 PM  
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

My version sez the latter i.e. Marco stopped by her island after all. Actually, u can see his plane in the dock.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.08.2005, 10:46 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  hauru no ugoku shiroPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

for me howl is the best animation ever than the previous once like mononoke and spirited away. howl's moving castle is a genre of romance and fantasy. you should watch this!!!!. i can't wait for the dvd release, because i want to watch it all over again.

01.18.2005, 08:30 AM  
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Best GHIBLI animation, maybe, i havent watched it. But best animation ever, i dont think so. Ghibli's forte is their background and intricate details, plus Miyazaki's magic. Otherwise, Production IG is just as good, and their character designs are especially top notch.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.28.2005, 08:56 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Best GHIBLI animation, maybe, i havent watched it. But best animation ever, i dont think so. Ghibli's forte is their background and intricate details, plus Miyazaki's magic. Otherwise, Production IG is just as good, and their character designs are especially top notch.

There are quite some people who entered the theatres with high expectations and end up disappointed with the latest work of Miyazaki. Here is one of the negative reviews. I am not going to come to any personal conclusion from the others' view though. After all I have not yet seen the movie, and it is not fair to judge a movie by the second-hand comments, or judge anything without knowing what it is really about first.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19274

As for the production IG works, from a personal point of view, they may have good character development, but probably I am too ignorant to notice any speciality or outstanding quality of their character designs. In fact for unknown reasons I feel that most of the characters are quite stiff and not very natural, or "mechanic", in other words. To me the best character of IG is the dog of Batou. At least you can feel that it is a living creature with flesh and blood.

01.28.2005, 12:34 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

When i say quality, i actually meant how close the character designs resemble real human features. Take JinRoh, by far the best anime movie i ever saw. Movements are fluid, features look real. Or u could catch Otogizoushi, their newest anime series.

Btw, i never mentioned about character development.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

02.08.2005, 12:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't call the aintitcool review negative at all. The reviewer seemed dissapointed, but she didn't dislike the movie. And her review is the most negative one I've yet found.

And Porco Rosso is a great movie. The story is dissapointing, but the characters, setting, and flight sequences are incredible. It isn't a perfect film, but the good outweighs the bad by quite a lot.

03.28.2005, 02:24 PM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks