QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you currently watching?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What are you currently watching? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...    »  ]
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah I have to Agree there, Hinata is a great character.

I'm not sure where abouts you are in the Shipuuden series atm but she has only appeared once or twice in the earlier episodes as yet, and then only to faint.

Currently because Shipuuden is in the middle of a major plot arc it's unlikely we'll see any more of her until the arc is over. If it progresses as fast as the manga (which is very unlikely) we'll be looking at episode 50ish before she gets more screentime. In fact it's not just limited to hinata, the whole of Kurenai's team is so characterful they deserve the screentime, it's just such a shame to see the little time they get used for filler.....

....but thats a rant for another day
I'm trying to avoid spoilers as well at the moment. As I'd said, I don't know where you are so I wouldn't want to ruin it.

Anyway back on track

I've been really busy of late and so haven't really had much time to post anything. I was really looking forward to absorbing myself in the forum and then work slapped me in the face, no doubt I'll start picking up speed and actually being of use now

As for what I've been watching I think it's been mainly Lucky star. I gave it a really bad review after seeing the first episode but when i gave it a 2nd chance it really has come up trumps. the characters are wonderful, the animation is totally unique and almost childlike. The amount of Otaku references really made me laugh too, it probably wouldn't have been very funny to someone who'd only just began watching anime though. in some respects then it's quite similar to Genshiken.

I'm currently watching Clannad as well, I've always been a fan of Toei entertainments work and ever since Kanon I've watched almost everything they've released. Air wasn't so great, but Clannad is their best work yet.

"this will be the first of many..many long posts I would think,look forward to reading more from the rest of you "

Atra

01.11.2008, 07:12 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Atradius
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Holy crap,

It looks even longer when it's posted up there!

01.11.2008, 07:13 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey welcome to the board, i bet you were here and then kinda disappeared like you said, hope you so stick around and join us regular members.

I heard clannad was good. I would think about watching it, but i think it is a straight romance eh? And i am kinda into the action-romance-comedy genre.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.11.2008, 07:16 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Atradius, were you the guy I met in Enderby Library a month or two ago?

Cheers, Martin

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.11.2008, 07:19 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i remember you talking about that guy.
isnt his name max or something?

btw i read the end page shippundun manga and and hinata gets screen time so there.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

01.11.2008, 07:33 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Atradius
Ohmu

Yeah I am the guy from Enderby, I'm sorry I missed it the last time you were there, work had gotton me sidetracked.

And Max is close.....I'm Matt

As for Clannad, yeah it's romance. But thats because it's based on a key-based roleplay game, the same as Kanon and Air. The main focus in the games is to build on your relationships with different girls (Kanon and Air were Hentai but Clannad wasn't) and the anime is just the game storyline adapted into a series.

Toei Entertainment are fantastic though, and I think its the animation clarity of their work that makes me love them so much. Go check it out if you have the time. Clannad is still being released but kanon and air have been out since 2002. make sure you get the 2006 versions though, they were remade and are much better imo.

I think Static-Subs fansubbed them....I can't think of anyone else off the Top of my head.

Atra

01.11.2008, 07:59 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Atradius
Ohmu

quote:
btw i read the end page shippundun manga and and hinata gets screen time so there

Lol! I'm impressed at how someone gets "screentime" in a Manga. I know what you meant though, I just didn't want to be typing spoilers all over your boards.

01.11.2008, 08:01 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Atradius
Yeah I am the guy from Enderby, I'm sorry I missed it the last time you were there, work had gotton me sidetracked.

And Max is close.....I'm Matt

As for Clannad, yeah it's romance. But thats because it's based on a key-based roleplay game, the same as Kanon and Air. The main focus in the games is to build on your relationships with different girls (Kanon and Air were Hentai but Clannad wasn't) and the anime is just the game storyline adapted into a series.

Toei Entertainment are fantastic though, and I think its the animation clarity of their work that makes me love them so much. Go check it out if you have the time. Clannad is still being released but kanon and air have been out since 2002. make sure you get the 2006 versions though, they were remade and are much better imo.

I think Static-Subs fansubbed them....I can't think of anyone else off the Top of my head.

Atra

it is kinda weird watching a show based on a game. fate/stay night was like that, amazing show, hadn't played the game, but I am surprised at the quality. i would assume it would be like a typical book to film translation: terrible.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.11.2008, 08:04 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Atradius
Ohmu

Hehe,

I guess you could describe it as "Niche". It certainly isn't to everyones tastes anyway. I think on some level I like it because the first anime I ever watched in full was an anime romance series called "Suzuka". I loved it so much I've been addicted to that genre ever since.

quote:
it is kinda weird watching a show based on a game. fate/stay night was like that, amazing show, hadn't played the game, but I am surprised at the quality.

I agree, I have played the game though now. But only after I'd seen the show. I actually prefered the show tbh.

Atra

01.11.2008, 08:12 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hack/roots is based on a game.
it was kinda warping.
that haseo dude has issues.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

01.11.2008, 08:16 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Shakugan no Shana is pissing me off, the love triangle is ridiculous. Sometime I want to go through my computer and strangle some characters sometimes. I just want Shana to knife the competition and be done with it.

Click for Gallery^^

01.11.2008, 10:13 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished watching Boys Be and I was pleasantly surprised, it's basic lightweight high school romance fayre with a fair smatering of fanservice. Its a collection of short love stories with a general theme of a group of classmates running through it and some of the stories are a little weak but some are really heartwarming.

The art style is a little different from the norm with the figures drawn very chunkily instead of the ultra-skinny barbie doll types so that's refreshing.

01.12.2008, 11:05 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Atradius
Ohmu

Yeah, I remember watching Boys Be a while ago. It doesn't really stand out much in my memory,it's hardly one of "the greats" but I didn't think it was bad. You're right about the artwork too, I think they developed a lot more character that way. Some of the stories are weak as you've said, but i think the good ones in there more than compensate for it.

I always felt I could empathise easily with the obsessive guy, what was his name again? Matoko or Makoto? I like that he kept a database on the girls I might actually consider watching this anime again as it is only short (13eps), maybe sometime later on this week.

Post last edited by Atradius on 01.12.2008, 12:01 PM.

01.12.2008, 12:00 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Atradius
Ohmu

Another comment on the art style just before I digress elsewhere, is that it reminded me a lot of Full Metal panic. I have a feeling it's produced by the same company in fact....

*goes to check wikipedia*

Hmm wiki wasn't too helpful on this one. The company that produced it was "Hal Film Maker", the only other animes they've done that I've watched were DearS and Bokusatsu Tenshi. The former was average, the latter is a work of genius.

So it's not the same as FMP then....
Atra

01.12.2008, 12:06 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, it wasn't. Frankly though (no offense intended) it was nowhere similar to FMP.

The studio that did FMP, btw, did the much hyped Suzumiya Haruhi series, as well as the equally popular Lucky Star, although the latter is much more niched and appeals more to the hardcore otakus (you know if you're not, cuz you won't get half the jokes, and if you don't get more than half, then you haven't seen enough anime).

Despite having completed Higurashi no Naku Koro ni in my hddrive, I'm watching Saiunkoku 2nd season instead.

Somehow, the odd blend of madcap comedy and grotesque horror hasn't appealed to me much yet, although I have to say, the horror parts are sometimes very shocking, surprisingly (for this kind of anime).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.12.2008, 12:41 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Has anyone here seen Mushi Shi? I just saw it in HMV today while I was browsing through the anime section, and wondered if it was any good.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 01.12.2008, 12:50 PM.

01.12.2008, 12:50 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

quote:
No, it wasn't. Frankly though (no offense intended) it was nowhere similar to FMP.

No offense taken. The only simialrity I intended to draw was in the art style, and even then it was only vaguely similar. The story and characters in FMP are far better, I wasn't ever going dispute that

It doesn't surprise me that lucky star was done by the same company either, I tried to watch lucky star a few times but just couldn't force myself past the opening episode, all they were doing was talking about food. Eventually I did try to watch it all the way through and once you get into the series it is great. I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a "hardcore" Otaku, but it probably is accurate so I got most of the references in there. (the references to games were harder to understand, other than "key based" games like Kanon and Air i haven't really played many japanese games) Lucky star probably ranks up in my favourite animes now, i hope they release a second series to it, although judging from how the last one ended I would highly doubt it.

And I personally haven't seen Mushi Shi, I've heard mixed reviews, most of them negative. Not that I intend to put you off

Atra

Post last edited by Atradius on 01.12.2008, 01:06 PM.

01.12.2008, 01:02 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Jees, well I would rank in the lower echelon of otakus. i only have gotten around to see 15 series. But the advent of my half terabyte external harddrive will let me double that soon enough.

Click for Gallery^^

01.12.2008, 01:13 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

A couple of people on here have/are watching Mushishi and are saying good things about it. I've not heard a negative comment yet. I intend to watch it soon.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.12.2008, 01:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Finished Shakuan no Shana I. I loved the ending, it was really cute, Shana is adorable. I was a pretty good series, the character development was a little maddening, but all in all it was a soild series.

Glad they have a part two

Now back to Bleach while Code Geass glacially downloads.

Click for Gallery^^

Post last edited by Miyrru on 01.12.2008, 01:52 PM.

01.12.2008, 01:50 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks