QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you currently watching?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What are you currently watching? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, the first few episodes are hilarious, I agree. And Rei and Sana, priceless.

I watched it a long time ago but I remember it being pretty depressing later on. Not bad, though a little draggy at times and you'll want to scream at Akito and Sana a lot. Though, like I said, long time ago so I've got a fuzzy memory. I just remember loving it, so that's something at least.

01.25.2008, 05:20 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji
quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
Lol it IS disgustingly pink and cutesey but since I pretty much like all genres of anime (Except the boring shoot em ups which are nothing BUT shoot em ups) I'm happy as a larry watching it.

I dont think many people would really go for it but I'm just kind of in the mood.

Really unhappy my brother just stole all my treats I bought myself

I know how you feel NC. Though personally I opted out of Tokyo Mew Mew (not due to the "pink" but to the "fighting evil" aspect of it), recently I've been watching a lot of mahou shoujo and shoujo in general.

Started with Cardcaptor Sakura, Kodocha, Sugar Sugar Rune, and Ashita no Nadja about a week ago, but now I'm pretty much only watching Kodocha.

Cardcaptor Sakura is good, and I'm sure I'll continue it soon, but Kodocha has my attention completely at the moment. As far as Sugar Sugar Rune and Ashita no Nadja, as much as I love the art, style, premises, and main characters of the series', I hate the supporting casts very very much, and so it'll be difficult to continue either of them.

Ah yes the fighting evil...I think that gets on my nerves a bit since it is really repetitive. And everytime they want to fight they have to metamorphasise and thats really boring after the like 2nd time (to watch that is).

Haha I love Cardcaptor I watchd the film of that the other day. I used to watch it like everyday when I was younger so its pretty nostalgic.

01.25.2008, 05:45 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I bought that Paprika movie. Sure, the package says PG, but the DVD's rated R? And it doesn't show the rating except on the DVD itself? But I watched some of it. It's just Japanese with subs, and I think a French version, I really like it. It doesn't disturb me. I'd rate it more 14A for what I saw so far. ._. But I'm gonna watch the rest when I go to my friends. It seems like something my mom would really like.

01.25.2008, 06:25 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

AHHRGG I caved!

I posted earlier this week in response to saddles watching Saikano again. I said I didn't really enjoy it, and despite it's good points there were much better things I could have spent my money on.

Sorry saddles, I can't stick to my guns. It was in HMV for £18 for the entire boxed set, I couldn't resist. I also bought GITS:SAC: 2nd gig complete boxed set for about the same price.

Damn you pay day!!!!!

01.26.2008, 09:09 AM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saikano...I never really liked it. Like Atra said, it's got it's good points but it didn't hold my interest. The violence might have been a turnoff but meh, not my kind of anime, I suppose.

Anyways, I finished Ergo Proxy but just barely. It had an amazing opening. The first few episodes. Wow! Made me wonder how I hadn't watched an entire anime for so long. The characters were cool (especially Lilith...not enough cool anime goth girls out there) and the cyborg characters were great (so cold and eerie, loved it!). I think I mentioned the futuristing setting? Well it had the same old idea of domes in sci-fi but it felt original, which was nice. Also, the original feeling contributed nicely to all the 'dark' stuff going.

Just a really cool opening.

Sadly, it doesn't hold through all the way...not even half way. I felt it fall apart halfway in. Everything started getting sketchy and the amazing dark secrets weren't all that amazing anymore because they were being poorly explained. It picks up again at the end but still leaves you wanting for something more like the beginning xP

So not as out-of-the-world as I expected it but it had potential, which is something at least. Anyways, worth a watch, I think.

01.26.2008, 11:00 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked Saikano, I know I am in the minority here on that, but from what ive heard abroad, it seems to be decently popular.

II'm still watching Kaze no Stigma, which makes me realize how bare the action-fantasy genre is. Fate/stay night was amazing, Shakugan no Shana was very good, after that, it seems to drop off.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.26.2008, 12:02 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Hm, I guess I was expecting a lot when I watched Saikano because it was so popular when it was first around. That may be why it seemed overrated to me. I might watch it again...but probably not. The action/fantasy genre can pull off some decent stuff, it's just not to my liking.

01.26.2008, 03:43 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everyone has there own sorta genres that they are into. I can't get into straight romances. It is just the way i'm wired. But most genres overlap so there is lots to choose from. Saikano was good to me, really sad, maybe to much so. I can understand how it can be sorta overkill. I dont think ill watch it again, but it was something that was good enough to warrant a single watch through.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.26.2008, 03:52 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I liked Saikano. Okay, if I was to say that I enjoyed it, I'd be using the wrong word. It would be fair to say I like it in the same way I like GotF, but to a lesser extent.

It's quite unique, in my opinion. It would have been so easy for the makers to churn out an action-fest of Rambo proportions with a very similar plot; but instead they chose to focus on how the situations affect the characters' feelings, rather than the details of the situations themselves. I'll admit that some things were repeated more than was necessary to simply enforce an idea, and there were also parts that weren't explained at all clearly enough, but even so I think it's a decent - occasionally very moving, but not generally mindblowing - anime.

Okay, maybe I liked it because my taste in anime is normally different. I'm perfectly happy to watch an insane bloodbath if the storyline is interesting enough, and in general I'm not into romance-y stuff at all. But I just thought I'd add my opinion anyway.

01.26.2008, 04:30 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Insane bloodbaths are nice. Speaking of which, I started to watch Eflen Lied. It is really good. Yes, the intro and outro have way to much nudity. But the actual story is very solid. I didn't think I would like it as much as I do.

Click for Gallery^^

01.26.2008, 04:38 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, I've been thinking of watching Elfen Lied myself. I've seen the first episode and bits from later on, and it seems alright, besides the moments of blatant fanservice.

01.26.2008, 04:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

It is and it isnt fanserviced. I can see that most of the cases of nudity aren't really called for. But they aren't done for the sake of fanservicing. I dunno, it almost doesnt bother be due to the context that it has been used in. I'm more bothered by it in something like a Shuffle! than in this. Maybe I just hit my head recently and am not thinking straight....

Click for Gallery^^

01.26.2008, 04:51 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

Okay, at some points it's not so much that the nudity is added, more that it's just there. But then a lot of the time it's completely unnecessary and ocassionally even seems pathetic.

01.26.2008, 04:55 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I dunno, I guess I like the story enough that i'll ignore the nudity. There are some cases where it is definitely overused and out of place. But then again, so much is fanserviced nowadays, I'll take it for the story, it is very interesting, probably the first anime i gotten into since Shana.

Click for Gallery^^

01.26.2008, 05:05 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

I got the impression that the storyline was interesting enough and the presentation cool enough for me to enjoy it in spite of the fanservice. And that's why I was thinking of watching it.

But since I'm not watching it, I really shouldn't be discussing it in this thread. xP

01.26.2008, 05:12 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I watched the first episode of Bleach today, tried it in English and Japanese with subs, and to my surprise discovered that I liked it better in English. Ack, I promised myself I wouldn't randomly talk about Tsubasa but here goes... the Tsubasa English dub was so rubbish (apologies to those who liked it), I mean it almost hurts to watch it in English. They changed the names and everything. *shudders* It was just so bad.

ANYWAY, back to Bleach. The actor for Ichigo is real good, I'm pretty sure I've heard his voice before, anyone know who it is or where I might have heard it? I've not seen enough to judge how it compares to the manga, but I think as long as they stick to it closely enough, this series should be good.

My Anime List

01.26.2008, 05:33 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I like Bleach in english, the voices are really good. I love Rukia's voice. Im sure if you wiki for Ichigo's actor he'll have been in a few thousand animes, kinda like Rukia's actor. I want to watch the continuation of the series in Jap, but i hate switching languages. Bleach is good though, it is a nice filler anime when you dont have anything else on the go.

Click for Gallery^^

01.26.2008, 06:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I'm double posting, big whoop

Finished Elfen Lied. Easily on of the top 3 series ive ever watched. It was absolutely beautiful. The story was great, the characters were great, the art was great. it was just great. Wow, well, time to go make some Nana sigs. Now is where the nudity is going to bite me, it is going to be impossible to get good pictures.

Click for Gallery^^

01.27.2008, 03:10 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They changed the names in English in Tsubasa? ._. When? o.O *owns DVDs* Just watch it in Japanese.. The only voice I really liked was Fai's anyways.. XD *<-- Also a favorite voice actor of hers*

I watched Paprika fully. Really liked it. Found the DVD did have a dub, which my friend forced me to watch. I actually found their voices pretty good and decent. The movie itself was fairly interesting. We were forced to go outside near the end of it, so me and my friend began to piece everything together outside. We love it. ^^ I just wish it wasn't rated R.. ;_; It should be 14A, dammit! >.< And my friend is addicted to Mushi-Shi. We had fun watching Azumanga and School Rumble.

01.27.2008, 05:35 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, they didn't totally change 'em, but they changed the pronunciation and that's practically the same thing. And Sakura's voice annoyed the heck out of me. But like you said, Fai's was really nice. It reminded me of Yuki's from Fruits Basket. The actor for Yuki is in the cast somewhere isn't he? Isn't he Touya?

My Anime List

01.27.2008, 05:59 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks