QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Manga series are you reading right now
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What Manga series are you reading right now » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I havent got a "one series" that I am reading right now, but heres a list of series that I'm reading and of which I buy a new one whenever it's released or when I'm near a manga store.

20th Century Boys (AMAZING!)
Vagabond
Blade of the Immortal
GTO
Shonan Junai Gumi
Buso Renkin

I cant remember them all right now, but I know theres a few more.
And theres some, like Oh My Goddess, that I've taken a break from, but that I'll get back to when other series end or take a long break.

The most recent manga that I read was the completed Oldboy series.
It was quite good.

02.13.2008, 01:27 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kare Kano, Fruits Basket, Legend ( ? ) , Sugar Sugar Rune, Tsubasa Chronicles, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, etc.

02.14.2008, 09:51 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Tempted to start collecting the escaflowne series.....

02.18.2008, 08:40 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I'm still reading Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and I'm on *O - M - G* CHAPTER 174?! Whoah!

I just started reading it less than a week ago... o_0

The story has really changed from what it was in the earlier chapters. Back then, it was... well, nice. Light, happy.

Now it's dark, tragic, violent, very bloody... but I love it anyway. I will always love TRC.

My Anime List

02.19.2008, 07:13 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Started the Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad series that i bought some of for my brother.. it's pretty good so far, a welcome relief from Kare Kano

02.20.2008, 03:43 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Uh-oh. Major problemo. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle is so good that I can't bring myself to finish it. Damn.

Guess I'll go finish the anime first and then watch the OVAs. Then maybe I'll read it. Or maybe I'll start another series just for the sake of putting it off. I'm so weird.

My Anime List

02.20.2008, 12:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have been slacking off on the reading recently. I had got as far as Tsubasa 8 or 9 and then just decided to save my money for something else. I'll get around to it fairly soon, I've just been spending too much recently. To give some perspective I think this most recent weekend saw the purchase of my 250th manga novel.

The 250 does include around 20 issues of Shonen Jump though. Naruto and Bleach account for over 50 by themselves, all my Akamatsu manga probably totals around 50 as well.

Post last edited by Atradius on 02.20.2008, 01:06 PM.

02.20.2008, 01:05 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Atra, have you ever been on http://www.onemanga.com?

Or do you not like reading it this way?

I think this site's great, it's got tons of series.

My Anime List

02.20.2008, 01:34 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

Yeah I have.

But sadly I'm a purist when it comes to manga. It's very hypocritical of me to say that if you consider the amount of anime I download and watch but when it comes to the written word (or in this case the drawn word) there just isn't a substitute for the real thing. Ideally I'd love all my manga to come in the same form as the center pull-out from newtype but you can't have everything.

Also reading manga online comes with a tendancy to "Flop" the page, and I'd prefer to avoid that

02.20.2008, 02:04 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*wonders what 'flopping' a page is*

02.20.2008, 04:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
*wonders what 'flopping' a page is*

I think - I'm not 100% sure - that 'flopping' is when the scanlator turns the manga back-to-front, requiring the reader to read it left-to-right. This is often a bad idea, sometimes words on buildings or signs or whatever get turned back-to-front and just left that way.

That's what you meant isn't it Atra?

My Anime List

02.20.2008, 04:52 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

Yeah Kaz is right.

Flopping a page is when you flip the image so it reads left to right. Although it doesn't alter the text too much as all the words are glossed over in the translation process, it will always reverse logos, slogans and signs in the image. All this comes from me being a purist as I mentioned earlier. If you're going to bother reading manga you should read it in as near to it's original form as possible.

Most publishing companies have turned away from "flopping" in recent years anyway. Del Rey were notorious for it a while back, but all the leading publishers now print it in the proper format. Tanomishi and CLAMP are some of the best/my favourite , because they keep the Omake at the end whereas I'm pretty sure Viz media edit it quite significantly.

Incidently in Japan you can get western comics that have been flopped so they read right-left. I've seen a Batman comic printed in manga format before now,just in case you were interested. Once again this is something I could moan about endlessly, so I'll stop talking about it.

Post last edited by Atradius on 02.20.2008, 05:10 PM.

02.20.2008, 05:09 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, but the Bat Signal is symmetrical, so it's okay to flop that.

02.20.2008, 06:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

heh heh...bat signal.....

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

02.20.2008, 07:39 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
tamasaburo
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tamasaburo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

reading rave master pto book 25. and also readin naruto watched allethe anime of naruto and naruto shippuuden so thought id read them as well.only upto book 4 tho

02.20.2008, 09:50 PM tamasaburo is offline   Profile for tamasaburo Add tamasaburo to your buddy list Send an Email to tamasaburo Homepage of tamasaburo
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i've been reading anima it's not the greatest manga..

02.20.2008, 09:54 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

im pondering as to whether or not i should read flcl, aka furi kuri, aka fooly cooly.
what do you lot think?

02.20.2008, 10:51 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Atradius
Ohmu

Yeah, I recommend it.

There are only 2 volumes and the art work is just so surreal. It is by far and away the weirdest manga I've read and I've yet to see anything else done in the same style. Purely for it's uniqueness I think you should read it.

02.21.2008, 11:26 AM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
harmony-of-mar
Baron

k, ill take a ganda once i finish the manga of d.gray-man.
ugh, stupid level 3....just die already!

02.21.2008, 09:12 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i so wana get the anime boxset of flcl the style rocks

02.21.2008, 10:46 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks