QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Manga series are you reading right now
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What Manga series are you reading right now » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, I've seen Kare Kano twice now. The first time I watched it right another school anime, possibly kanon, and because I loved that so much I really did overlook KK. I've since gone back and watched it again, and enjoyed it a lot more. I think because it's one of the older mangas it can seem quite cliché, but a lot of the stereotypes within it are responsible for some of my best loved manga characters elsewhere. I can't help but feel without KK we wouldn't have had Narusegawa from love hina. I've yet to read the manga, but it'll be a while before I do anyway, I have to finish reading Ai Yoro Aoshi first and complete Tsubasa Chronicle too.

Yawn.

02.02.2008, 09:21 AM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Atradius
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll never finish the books I mentioned above at this rate. I've just bought the FLCL manga as it's fairly short, but how can I describe it? Errrrm. It's like a Drug trip quite frankly, I've seen the anime and thought THAT was weird enough. Next to the manga though it looks positively tame. The art style is like nothing I've ever seen before either, all warped and "scratchy" like it's been drawn by a talented 5 year old. I enjoyed it though.

Post last edited by Atradius on 02.03.2008, 11:13 AM.

02.03.2008, 11:12 AM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
On Kare Kano: clearly your tatses are quite different to mine, ive only read a bit of the manga series and havent seen any of the naime but it is the first manga series ive gotten bored with. there is some humour, some nice bits and some sad bits but all in all i cant say i feel compelled to continue the series, especially with such a massive list of books to get through already.

Oh that's a shame. Can't really change your opinion but I loved this manga so much. I bought the first volume...read it...and then bought the remaining 20 One of my all time favourite mangas.

Okay, so...I gotta a bunch of mangas I'd ordered today ^_^ most...actually I think all of them are some form of Josei romance/drama mangas. I'm liking these more nowadays. The shoujo stuff gets boring after a while and I was never that much into shounen manga to begin with.

Anyways, listy:

Paradise Kiss (yeah, I love the artwork and George is hawt)
Mars (got the 10 remaining volumes! I didn't think I'd like at first but so hooked now. It's interesting as I don't usually read psychological stuff)
Aromatic Bitters (recommended to me...we'll see)
Made in Heaven (accidents, prosthetics, self-discovery...sounds cool)
and the first two volumes of Kimi wa Petto (another recommendation...though it sounds weird ... )

So...when I have time ( ) I'll start these. In the mean time, I finished volume 14 of W-Juliet ... as in I finished it all! Wow. Um, the series. Let's see, fun, cute and very light-hearted. Not very realistic (but it is a shoujo manga after so I wasn't expecting it to be) but plenty of 'awww' moments and a happy ending. Cute fluff...not sure if I want to read the sequel yet.

Post last edited by fenkashi on 02.04.2008, 04:59 AM.

02.04.2008, 04:54 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished Nausicaa, Vol. 1

02.04.2008, 11:42 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

quote:
Made in Heaven (accidents, prosthetics, self-discovery...sounds cool)

So pressumably this has no connection to "Maid in Heaven", the famous Ero-manga that was made into a Hentai anime series?

02.04.2008, 02:37 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh. I hope not...that would be a waste of money...

*checks*

Nope, no connection ^_^

02.04.2008, 02:51 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If it's got prosthetics, then if there was a relation it would be... fairly dodgy, I think.

02.04.2008, 02:53 PM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, arren. I should've known you'd pop up at a moment like this.

I finished volume four of Bleach a few nights ago. I get volumes five and six tomorrow if she remembers to bring them.

My Anime List

02.04.2008, 03:55 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
quote:
Originally posted by T.C.
On Kare Kano: clearly your tatses are quite different to mine, ive only read a bit of the manga series and havent seen any of the naime but it is the first manga series ive gotten bored with. there is some humour, some nice bits and some sad bits but all in all i cant say i feel compelled to continue the series, especially with such a massive list of books to get through already.

Oh that's a shame. Can't really change your opinion but I loved this manga so much. I bought the first volume...read it...and then bought the remaining 20 One of my all time favourite mangas.

sorry, just not my thing. I don't think i can enjoy a manga or anime (or almost anything) thats based almost entirely on romance, there has to be more to it for me. ive yet to find anything of the romance genre that was good enough for me to enjoy so i presume its just my dislike for it and not any real assessment of actual qaulity.

02.05.2008, 04:28 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There's a fair bit more than romance in KK. Didn't you see it?

Its as funny as Azu Dai in parts, sometimes funnier, and it has a good slice of angst and drama too.

I also loved the art style and the wonderful use of symbolic images that run throughout it. How many high school animes have full love making scenes in them? KK manages it in real style.

But yeah, if romance alone isn't your thing you may wish to watch other stuff.

Did you try Haruhi? That has romance but it's slanted in such a different way that it doesn't seem like romance for most of the time. The humour takes centre stage in that series and the simple weirdness is fun to unravel too.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.05.2008, 09:01 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

UBER MAJOR SUPER BIG SPOILERS!!!

All hail Suzimiya Haruhi.

*cough*

*ahem*

Yeah.

So like, while I admit there is a wee bit of romance in the show, I certainly hope you're not implying that Haruhi like Kyon. It is highly suspected yes, but that's hardly the reason for Haruhi's attraction to Kyon.

The novels explain it more clearly: when school just started, Haruhi did ask Kyon if they had met before. Inreality, while Kyon obviously denies it, there was a point in the story where Kyon goes back to the past, and discovers that he had a hand when Haruhi had painted that large hieroglyphics on her middle school grounds (mentioned in ep2), and that he had introduced himself as "John" (or some other name, I only read the translation). At the same time, he also truthfully admitted to being a student of that school.

Haruhi chose to go to that school simply because she was looking for people like "John", or at least a possibility of a less mundane life, as deduced by the adult Asahina. And Kyon bore a very strong resemblance to him, although it slipped Haruhi's mind as time passes (for Haruhi).

The Closed Dimension episode could've gone two ways: Haruhi likes Kyon, although she herself may not be aware of it; or, Haruhi strongly believes that Kyon shares her attraction to the not-so-mundane occurrances, which he once did.

But since Haruhi herself never admitted to it, and the episode "Someday in the Rain" was never in the novels, hence simply a creation of the anime studio and thus should be excluded from the reasoning, it cannot be assumed conclusively that Haruhi actually has feelings for Kyon.

Now that was a long and useless rant. Oh, go read the novels, people, it's at Baka-Tsuki, go search for it.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.05.2008, 10:24 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haruhi never admits her feelings in the anime either, which is what I like so much about it. As soon as Nagato mentioned a big blip in the earth's energy field three years ago and Asahina said her bosses couldn't detect back in time more than three years ago I decided that in a previous incarnation of the world Kyon and Haruhi had known each other. They may have known each other countless times, in countless previous incarnations and each time Haruhi receates a world in which they will meet and the anime merely focuses on the one time it works.

That's just a guess, it makes me feel nice to think that may be why she is like she is.

Its clear she likes Kyon from her actions throughout the story, right from ep.2 where his classmates are stunned that he's the only boy she'd ever said so many words to. Her hair style is another clue (on two occasions). But in the same way Haruhi does not understand lots of things, she's in denial about her feelings for Kyon too.
While it's a pity that anime directors feel the need to change things from the novels (but you show me a film or TV show director who didn't do that) I also dislike it when people say "the anime is wrong because it doesn't follow the manga/novel/cereal packet/cat food/whatever."

An anime adaptation is a different artform, it caters to a slightly different audience whose attention span is subtly different simply by the type of media, things do need changing and you get two equally valid versions of a story as a result.

In some cases, mind you. In some cases it fails big time, but with Haruhi I think the anime works just fine.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.05.2008, 10:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
There's a fair bit more than romance in KK. Didn't you see it?

Its as funny as Azu Dai in parts, sometimes funnier, and it has a good slice of angst and drama too.

I also loved the art style and the wonderful use of symbolic images that run throughout it. How many high school animes have full love making scenes in them? KK manages it in real style.

Nope, i guess i didnt see it, i only got three volumes into the series. I certainly didnt find it anywhere near as funny as Azumanga, which is one of my favourites of favourites.

quote:

Did you try Haruhi? That has romance but it's slanted in such a different way that it doesn't seem like romance for most of the time. The humour takes centre stage in that series and the simple weirdness is fun to unravel too.

note; i didnt read the next two posts (Roars then yours) because of spoilers so sorry if i missed something.
I am desperate to see this but i already have to much to get through at the moment so i havent started yet. I'd like to buy the whole series straight off but i have little to no money after my short holiday and the fact that my girlfriends birthday is soon. somehow, i think i will enjoy Haruhi alot from what ive heard of it but i guess i never heard of it classified as a romance.. still i will deffinately being trying to see it asap.

02.05.2008, 06:31 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i am reading yu yu hakusho. not really as funny as the anime they aired on ctnn but still pretty good.
basically this kid called yusuke gets killed when he pushes a little boy out of the way of a speeding car.then the reaper, a pretty girl called botan who rides a canoe paddle like a broom stick, tells him since the spirits werent expecting him to die so bravely he can come back to life, but only if he acts as earths new spirit detective.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

02.05.2008, 10:36 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds like Bleach. A nicer version of Bleach. Where Ichigo isn't such a sourpuss.

My Anime List

02.06.2008, 03:57 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

please dont compare it to bleach, i hate it when people do that.
its much nicer and funnier.
oh wait you just said that....

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

Post last edited by harmony-of-mar on 02.06.2008, 04:28 AM.

02.06.2008, 04:27 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good Morning Call (I found new chapters <3) and Ouran.

02.06.2008, 06:03 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

School Rumble.

And I have just seen the most scary picture of Sawachika Eri.

Yeesh...

02.07.2008, 12:06 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Tsubasa Chronicles. And I was reading something on the latest manga on the Tsubasa forum... OMFG. I know the biggest secret on Fai.. But if I say it, you'll all kill me because.. OMFG.. I'm still a little confused by it but.. Doesn't really surprise me but..

edit; O understand everything now.. Want to say badly.. x.X I know all about his past and his being there and everything related to him since first chapter he's been in.

Hint to Past : YUUI

X3

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 02.07.2008, 09:44 PM.

02.07.2008, 09:04 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

I must've missed the love scene in the KK manga, I just can't remember it at all. Pah! I like what Saddles is saying about Haruhi meeting Kyon in previous incarnations because I'm not sure the anime pulls it off as clearly as the novels. A good example is in the 1st/2nd episode of Haruhi where she asks Kyon if she'd met him before. Kyon answers "no" which is true from his perspective, but later on in the novels Kyon goes back in time a few years and ends up being the one responsible for the white-line drawings on the school field. I think most of this gets revealed in the next series anyway, as it's mainly based on "The vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya" .

I've been reading Keroro Gunso, A.K.A sergeant frog. Lets just leave it at that.

02.13.2008, 01:15 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks