QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Animes in HD?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Animes in HD? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
baka ka!
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.15.07
  Animes in HD?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by baka ka! Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Does anyone know of any anime TV shows or movies that have been/will be released on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

Post last edited by baka ka! on 02.25.2008, 02:31 AM.

02.25.2008, 02:31 AM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HD-DVD is dead btw, Toshiba pulled out and the card house is falling from there.

I'm not sure if any are being released for homeviewing but I do believe I saw some Gundam 00 in HD, looks pretty good from what I can tell, but there probably will be a shift to Blu Ray soon enough.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

02.25.2008, 10:13 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
baka ka!
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by baka ka! Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah I know HD-DVD is dead, but LG is coming out with some dual players, so I figured I would buy what I can on HD-DVD because I'll be able to get it really cheap and then buy everything else on Blu-Ray.

02.25.2008, 02:58 PM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, your logic is good, but I havent really heard of any HD-Dvd releases of anime. Mind you, I don't buy anything anyways, so I am not a good judge on this.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

02.25.2008, 03:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
baka ka!
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by baka ka! Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've heard of one anime on Blu-Ray, but I can't remember the name of the movie. This was around last November or so, so I was hoping that some more might be out by then. I'm really hoping we get some high def re-releases of Ghibli movies soon!

02.26.2008, 01:27 AM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Quite a few, actually Not that I know of any, but seriously guys, from the country where technology grows faster than their rice? Not possible to NOT have any.

As it is, Gedo Senki is out on Blu-Ray, and so is Paprika. Do a search and you'll find at least five more titles.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.26.2008, 10:59 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I knew that some would have to be released. The increased storage capacity could be could for series as it would only take one disk to hold the whole series plus extra in one disc which is nice.

I'm not sure how much the quality improves, but I'm sure it would be noticeable.

Click for Gallery^^

02.26.2008, 11:09 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i've seen spirited away on blu ray and also akira. i think that their mainly comming out with the big titles at the moment

02.26.2008, 07:48 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
baka ka!
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
i've seen spirited away on blu ray and also akira. i think that their mainly comming out with the big titles at the moment

Spirited Away is on Blu-Ray?!?

02.27.2008, 03:16 AM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Super Dollfie
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Super Dollfie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sony are releasing all their new anime features on Blu-ray – in particular, Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet. That's in both the UK and US (as well as Japan and most other places). I think Wings of Honneamise has also been released on HD formats in the USA.

Post last edited by Super Dollfie on 03.07.2008, 09:36 PM.

03.07.2008, 09:36 PM Super Dollfie is offline   Profile for Super Dollfie Add Super Dollfie to your buddy list Homepage of Super Dollfie
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Super Dollfie
Sony are releasing all their new anime features on Blu-ray – in particular, Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet. That's in both the UK and US (as well as Japan and most other places).

That's right, I have both, though I haven't got round to wathing Tekkonkinkreet yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
As it is, Gedo Senki is out on Blu-Ray

quote:
Originally posted by Farren
i've seen spirited away on blu ray

I am pretty certain Spirited Away and Gedo Senki / Tales From Earthsea are NOT on Blu-ray yet, unless someone has seen some pirates / bootlegs or something (links please if I am wrong?!).

As far as I am aware, the only legitimate Ghibli releases on Blu-ray so far are the Kazuo Oga Exhibition and Iblard Jikan ones. Hopefully Ponyo will get a dual DVD/Blu-ray release and kick off re-releases of all the classics Ghibli features.

03.16.2008, 11:36 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Farren, you mention seeing "Spirited Away" on Blu-Ray. Was the quality of the film improved over the old version? and if so, how?

hahaha, oops, gettingg to sound like a school teacher...

03.25.2008, 09:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Artoo's right, Gedo Senki and Spirited Away are not yet available in blu-ray. Ghibli have had some blu-ray releases so far, but none that include their main "Ghibli era" movies -Ponyo will probably be the first.

On the other hand, some may have already been shown on HD channels (Howl's Moving Castle for certain). From what I've seen so far, HD does not actually make much difference to animation -unless you're sitting a meter or so away (or have the eyes of an animal of superior vision).

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

Post last edited by E_Hakki on 04.17.2008, 06:49 PM.

04.17.2008, 06:49 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
baka ka!
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by E_Hakki
Artoo's right, Gedo Senki and Spirited Away are not yet available in blu-ray. Ghibli have had some blu-ray releases so far, but none that include their main "Ghibli era" movies -Ponyo will probably be the first.

On the other hand, some may have already been shown on HD channels (Howl's Moving Castle for certain). From what I've seen so far, HD does not actually make much difference to animation -unless you're sitting a meter or so away (or have the eyes of an animal of superior vision).

I disagree. Animated films can benefit the most fom high definition.

Anyone would have to sit a meter (or several feet) away from their HDTVs to get the most from their HDTVs.

04.20.2008, 01:36 AM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
baka ka!
Kodama

Steamboy is availble on Blu-Ray, but it's only available in Japan. This is a good and a bad thing though. It's good because Blu-Ray uses a different region coding, with the United States and Japan being in the same region. Unfortunately, there are no English subtitles.

The only official Ghibli Blu-Ray release is Oga Kazuo Exhibition: Ghibli No Eshokunin - The One Who Painted Totoro's Forest. It's available in a Blu-Ray/Standard DVD set, and in some places you can just buy the standard DVD, but you don't get everything. Here are the details of the two-disc set from YesAsia:

From July 21 through September 10th, 2007, the Museum for Contemporary Art Tokyo held an exhibition honoring Oga Kazuo, the art director and background artist for many famed works from Japan's Studio Ghibli. Over 600 works from the artist were on display, and numerous fans flocked to the one-of-a-kind exhibition celebrating the lush, gorgeous background artwork typifying many a work from Miyazaki Hayao and other Ghibli filmmakers. International fans of Oga and Studio Ghibli have not been left out, however. The Oga Kazuo Exhibition: Ghibli No Eshokunin - The One Who Painted Totoro's Forest (Blu-ray + DVD) allows fans the opportunity to attend the exhibition, as well as watch interviews and testimonials with Oga's contemporaries and collaborators, all subtitled in English.
The set includes a Blu-ray disc and DVD, both sharing much of the same content, with the Blu-ray disc having the added benefit of true High-Definition presentation. Shared features between the two discs include: a slideshow of all 600 works on display at the exhibition; the 72-minute feature "Ghibli's Oga Kazuo, who painted Totoro's woods"; and a 40-minute featurette containing interviews with director Takahata Isao, art scholar Tsuji Nobuo, Ghibli art department head Tanaka Naoya, and art director Kobayashi Shichiro.

The DVD also contains a 20-minute feature detailing Oga Kazuo's creative process, as he paints the cover for a 2005 art book collecting his paintings. The same feature shows up on the Blu-ray disc, except extended to 35 minutes. The Blu-ray disc also includes an exclusive feature with Oga creating the cover painting for the Blu-ray disc release, shot and presented in HD to take full advantage of the next generation video format. For fans of both painted art and Ghibli Studios, the Oga Kazuo Exhibition represents an uncommon and fascinating glimpse into the mind of a master.

My guess -- and this is purely specualtion -- is that we won't see any Ghibli Blu-Ray releases until after Ponyo is released on Blu-Ray. Remember, Ponyo is slated from an American theatrical release of mid-late 2009 (over a year after it's Japanese release). There is some speculation that Disney is banking on Wall-E to be their it film of 2008 and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (official English title) to be their it (ie: award winning) film of 2009.

It's my sincere hope that Disney somehow loses the American rights to all Ghibli films. They have done a terrible job promoting the studio and it's films. I first heard of Grave of the Fireflies a little less than a year ago when I stumbled upon an eBay auction for the movie. The seller wrote a good seven paragraphs about how amazing the film is. I bought it based soley on that and I have been hooked on Ghibli ever since. Unfortunately I have only seen Fireflies, Pom Poko and the arguably quasi-Ghibli Night on the Galactic Railroad since then, but I'm collecting Ghibli DVDs as quickly as I can. But I'm going to end this before I get even further off topic. lol.

One final thing.... I've read on a couple websites that Ghibli will be releasing all of their movies that were previously unreleased in R1 on Blu-Ray. I have no official word on that, so take it for what it's worth.

04.30.2008, 10:25 PM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Artoo
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by baka ka!
Steamboy is availble on Blu-Ray, but it's only available in Japan. This is a good and a bad thing though. It's good because Blu-Ray uses a different region coding, with the United States and Japan being in the same region. Unfortunately, there are no English subtitles.

(As posted in your thread elsewhere...)

With no subs or dubs it might be academic for most people, but Steamboy is apparently region free according to bluray.liesinc.net, (a site worth bookmarking, though I would always recommend getting at least two sources that say a disc is region free before buying online, just in case). So it should play on any Blu-ray player.

I dearly hope the future Japanese Ghibli feature releases will be region free: I can't find out definitively if the Iblard Blu-ray is region locked (anyone here know for sure?) but I have the Oga Kazuo Blu-ray and that plays on my Region B UK player (well, a PS3 as it happens) just fine.

All this might not matter for people in Region A, (to be fair I guess people in Region 1 had to put up with the DVDs being a different region) but it's all rubbish, region coding, it just promotes piracy and untaxed importing rather than protecting companies margins in different countries / markets. It doesn't seem to be quite so strict on Blu-ray (as on DVD), but it's still bad for consumers.

Worst case I'll buy an imported region A machine for Ghibli Blu-rays, but not everyone will be able to do that.

quote:
The only official Ghibli Blu-Ray release is Oga Kazuo Exhibition: Ghibli No Eshokunin - The One Who Painted Totoro's Forest.

As mentioned above, there is also the Iblard Jikan Blu-ray, that is an official release, not sure if it's region free (or I'd have it already), but the Oga Kazuo Blu-ray is region free. But none of the 'proper' Ghibli feature films as we would think of them yet.

Iblard Jikan on YesAsia (marked as region A, but who knows):
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...pid-1004708616/

Post last edited by Artoo on 05.01.2008, 10:29 PM.

05.01.2008, 10:27 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ husky

i didn't see the movie i just merely saw the dvd in a dvd store somwhere but i have no idea where....

05.01.2008, 10:57 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
baka ka!
Kodama

I would just like to mention again (in case anyone missed it) that Blu-Ray and standard DVDs have different region codes. In BR, Japan and America have the same region code (Region A), so Japanese BR's will play in American players and American BR's will play in Japanese players.

05.01.2008, 11:53 PM baka ka! is offline   Profile for baka ka! Add baka ka! to your buddy list AIM Screenname: paradeofsickos YIM Screenname: SteveMcConaghy
Artoo
Warawara

quote:
I would just like to mention again (in case anyone missed it) that Blu-Ray and standard DVDs have different region codes. In BR, Japan and America have the same region code (Region A), so Japanese BR's will play in American players and American BR's will play in Japanese players.

Indeed. But if you're in Europe the region is different to Japan for blu-ray (Europe is region B).

Good for Americans bad for Europeans

Post last edited by Artoo on 05.02.2008, 01:06 PM.

05.02.2008, 01:05 PM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welll us Brits have been able to play Region 2 Japanese DVDs for years and no doubt the USA complained that it couldn't so now the boot is on the other foot.

I've never had a problem with European R2 and USA R1 DVDs being incompatible.

Europe is a big market, Japanese anime companies will sell licenses to European publishers to distribute anime in Region B blu-rays I'm sure of it.

Region free blu-ray players will be with us in a few years, in the meantime I've invested 100s of £ in DVDs so I'll stick with those for the moment. Heck I still watch movies on VHS from time to time

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.02.2008, 01:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks